An Anonymous Love Affair (or Eleazar's Valentine's Escapade)

An Anonymous Love Affair (or Eleazar's Valentine's Escapade)

A Story by Emma Pond
"

A short blurp about a boy looking for a little teenage love on a lonely Thursday night...

"

You are now talking with a stranger with the interests Pierce the Veil, and Sleeping with Sirens.

Say hello!

 

            Eleazar bit his thumb nail nervously and waited for the other stranger to type a message first. He was always too shy to do so himself. Being on websites like this, where you offer your interests in tags and receive an anonymous person to converse with who has the same tags, always made him feel embarrassed. Eleazar thought that if anyone ever found out, then he would be the laughing stock of his tenth grade class. People at his school craved for this sort of thing, an opportunity to constantly make fun of him and publicly humiliate him in front of the two hundred students in their class was something that they could never pass up.


            For that reason alone is why Eleazar kept his internet friends, acquired through Omegle the online chat site, a secret. Not one of his closest friends knew, nor any member of his family. It was his guilty pleasure, he supposed, but not one that he indulged in for the pleasure of it. Eleazar liked this easy way of making new friends instead of going out of his way to risk talking to someone at school who may or may not already hate him. These people he was talking to already shared common ground with him, and he hoped that he wouldn’t have to search very long for a new companion.


Stranger: hi c:


            Eleazar brightened and pushed the dark brown fringe from his eyes as he brought his fingers to the keys. He typed a simple response and hoped for the best.


You: Hello there :3


Stranger: how are you? ^-^


You: I’m great, and you love?


Stranger: pretty good, thanks for asking!


You: No problem, love <3


Stranger: you’re wonderful <3


            Eleazar’s heart fluttered and silently prayed that this person wasn’t a catfishing pedophile who wanted nudes. From what he could tell, the “stranger” was a girl, and quite the fantastic one. She wasn’t freaked by his politeness and gentlemanlike behavior, which could be translated to British hospitality with all the “love’s” being said. Eleazar wondered what he should say next when his mystery girl responded again.


Stranger: I’m Emma, what’s your name?


You: Eleazar…which is a boy’s name, just so you know xD


Stranger: don’t worry, I knew!


You: Awesome! Because some people think it could go either way


Stranger: I don’t see how… it’s obviously a boy’s name!


You: THANK YOU! <3


Stranger: you’re welcome <3


            Eleazar smiled and leaned back in his seat, staring at his ceiling fan. It spun slowly, cooling the already cool air around. It was still winter, but his mom felt the need to keep the fan on at all times. He never asked her why. Eleazar lolled his head to the side to check his digital clock. It read 8:47 PM, and the date almost made Eleazar slide off his chair. It was February 14th…Valentine’s Day! He didn’t even notice when he woke up this morning, or at school. He never was into the holiday, nor did he ever receive a Valentine from any secret admirers. Eleazar didn’t bother trying to win over someone’s heart or waste the energy on buying chocolates. It never worked for him.


Stranger: oh and happy Valentine’s day!! ^-^


You: Oh, thanks I guess


Stranger is typing…


            Eleazar sighed and regretted sounding so disrespectful and uninterested. Talking like that was most often a reason for some people to disconnect from the conversation. This girl seemed incredibly amazing, and he hoped that he hadn’t just ruined everything with her.


Stranger: you aren’t excited? :c


You: Not really…I don’t really celebrate it, that’s all...


Stranger: Awh, why?


You: I don’t know. I’m not much of a ladies’ man :P


            Eleazar cringed at his last message. He probably shouldn’t have said anything about his outrageous insecurity. It was the horrible truth though. He was never one with the ladies, and had never had a girlfriend, not even a three-day-elementary-school-fling that was practically a tradition in everyone’s family. All of his “friends” had girlfriends although not all of them will last past a month or two. Emma responded with an assuring denial to his statement, and they went on arguing about his looks and luck with love. She had no footing in her argument because she hasn’t seen what he looks like, and probably won’t ever be able to, but she was a sweet girl. Eleazar admired that.


            “Eleazar!” a voice called from outside his bedroom. “Get off that damn laptop and come say goodbye to your grandparents. They’ve been waiting to wish you a Happy Valentine’s Day!”


            He rolled his eyes and chewed on his thumb nail again. It was time to bid farewell to his anonymous love affair, who claimed to be his secret Valentine. Eleazar was hesitant, but there was no way that he could keep in touch with her. These relationships he’s had on Omegle have always been short-lived. He doesn’t give out his email, nor does he give out his phone number. These people knew him for however long they were online, and then he was gone, like a whisper in the night.


You: Sorry, love, but I have to jump off the computer now. :(


Stranger: Awh!! So sorry to see you go, my lovely Valentine :c


You: It was a pleasure talking to you, Emma. ^-^


Stranger: As was talking to you, Eleazar! :3


You: Bye!


Stranger: Byee!


You have disconnected. Would you like to chat with someone else?


            A sigh escaped from Eleazar’s lips and he pushed his chair away from the work desk in the corner of his bedroom. The light was low in the room, and the moon was peaking from the shadows of the trees through the window. Eleazar slumped his way downstairs to wave goodbye to his grandparents. He had no intention of giving an overview of his dismal day, but grandparents were grandparents. They had to know everything about your love life.


            “Did you have a nice day, Eleazar?” his grandmother asked with a quaint smile.


            “It was just another Thursday, grandma. Nothing special,” Eleazar responded.


            “No one special today, son?” his grandfather inquired. “No secret lover you’re not telling us about?”


            Eleazar chuckled and shook his head, “No, grandpa.”


            They smiled and said their goodbyes to Eleazar’s mother, who gave him a stern look after closing the front door. She whispered a harsh comment about his abrupt behavior, to which he rolled his eyes.


“No secret lover,” Eleazar mumbled as he tucked into bed, “Not really, anyways…”

© 2013 Emma Pond


Author's Note

Emma Pond
A little Valentine's Day short story for you lot xx (belated!)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is a unique piece. it's a great idea to capture 'chatting' on line and what it's like to have an brief online relationship. especially for someone like eleazar who is socially awkward. excellent piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Aw! That was cute :3 I've never been on one of those sites, but it's nice that some people are still kind in this world. I just hope it wasn't some guy trolling him.... :P Anyway, I liked this story c:
-Willa

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emma Pond

11 Years Ago

Thank you!! c: Don't worry, I don't think it was a guy trolling him c;
Savior of Time

11 Years Ago

You're welcome and that's good!c:
-Willa

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2013
Last Updated on February 22, 2013
Tags: anonymous chat crush cute day lo

Author

Emma Pond
Emma Pond

No Where



About
I'm an aspiring screenplay-writer and a film/drama fanatic. I absolutely love to read and write, from short stories to flash fiction, from John Green to Ralph Waldo Emerson. I just recently started d.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Emma Pond


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Emma Pond


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Emma Pond