God bless Ted

God bless Ted

A Story by Emilija

He was sitting in a small café in the old town, observing people passing by through the window. It was 4:59 p.m. and he felt his heartbeat rising. He felt a bit dizzy, because he has already had a few drinks. Cole brushed through his blond hair with the right hand and adjusted his black tie. He was way too overdressed for the occasion and suddenly he began to feel ridiculous. Jeans and a white shirt was definitely a better call. He started to nervously touch the rose, lying in front of him. He looked around the café, it was crowded and cramped inside. A group of female teenagers laughed out loud. He felt like an explorer, watching a flock of parrots making a lot of noise about nothing. He was a foreigner here. So was the poor bartender, standing behind the bar, who has just given him a look of sympathy. Cole looked at a clock, hanging on the wall. 5:00p.m., she should show up any minute.

Cole’s hands began to sweat and get cold. Of course, perfect timing, he thought to himself. He hoped that she will hug him, after all, she knew he likes her more than a friend. He waited so long for this moment that it felt almost unreal that it was finally happening. He met Sarah last month at the college, when his good friend Ted introduced them. God bless Ted. That kid is going places.

Cole remembered the first time he saw Sarah. It was as if he forgot how to breathe, the air went out of his lungs and seemed to never come back. It was the very first time that he felt such affection for someone, the first time that the world stopped for a while, when someone smiled. And the feeling, wanting to have her, to hold and feel her near him, to call her his, but most importantly, being hers himself, was everything that made him want to be alive. And today was his only shot to finally be so.

He turned back to the window and looked for Sarah’s face in the sea of people in the street. It began to rain and people scattered, looking for a shelter. Cole noticed Sarah at once, she was walking calmly as if she didn’t even notice the rain around her. She wasn’t even holing an umbrella. She was distracted by him, Ted, holding her right hand, while carrying an umbrella. They looked happy together, so Cole ordered some whiskey.

They walked into the café still holding hands. She looked as if she felt guilty and Cole felt it right to be so. He didn’t hear what she said, he didn’t understood the sounds coming out of her mouth, saying him that it wasn’t planned and that it wasn’t how she wanted events to turn. Cole took a long sip and looked at Ted. He looked miserable and Cole wanted him to be so. He didn’t suggest them to sit down, he didn’t want to hear their love story nor how sorry they were. He saw how Sarah looked at his suit and the red rose. It wasn’t the guilt any more, it was pity, mixed with taunt. Cole felt obnoxious. But not because both of them were together, but for her astonishment how he felt about her. She didn’t even have a clue, how important she was for him. She saw him as a friend, her boyfriend’s good friend, who happened to grow to like her. Ted made her realize about his feelings towards her, it wasn’t her who came to the conclusion. Suddenly affection was changed by hurt, magic disappeared and reality stepped in, so Cole ordered another drink. He looked to see if they were still there. Sarah was standing in front of him, searching for words in her little brown haired head. But it was empty, he knew it was. There was nothing apart from selfishness and innocence, both of them seem to be inseparable. She finally shook her head and followed Ted, who was holding the door for her.

His companion bartender showed up and brought him a drink. They changed their looks again and Cole wanted to laugh out loud. The bartender knew more about his feeling than Sarah. How could she apologize for misleading him? There were no appropriate words for making things right, for letting someone creating a dream and live it even though it will never come true. It was a cruel thing to do.

Suddenly café’s doors opened and Cole turned his head, hoping it wasn’t Sarah. It wasn’t, it was a girl, who was apparently caught by rain by surprise. She was soaking wet and shaking, after all it was November. She looked around for a free table, but there was none and the look of despair on her face made Cole to stand up. She turned her face to him and watched him for a while, then he pointed to the chair in front of him and said:

“Please, join me. You’re cold and need a hot drink.”

She gave him a wide bright smile and he smiled back at her. It wasn’t the same smile that Sarah used to give him. It was warm and looking for a response. She walked to him and suggested her hand as a greeting:

“Elenore”.

“Cole.” He thought his voice sounded like an idiot’s.

“Your hands are so warm.” She said while sitting down.

He looked at his hand as if they were someone else’s. Maybe it was whiskey, maybe it was his mood, but he was keen on believing that it was Elenore. She looked at him with her big blue eyes and finally said:

“Are you expecting someone?”

At first he was puzzled, but then he realized she’s looking at his suit and the rose lying on the table. He took off his jacket and suggested it to her, because she was shaking. He gave a sign to his new buddy bartender to come to take her order. He was already on his way, showing him signs of approval.

“No. At least not anymore. It’s a long story.”

“I’d love to hear it. Nice suit, by the way. And sorry for ruining it.” She turned to the bartender and said: “I’ll have something strong. What are you drinking? Whiskey? I’ll have the same, please.”

She gave him a wicked look that he will never forget. How foolish it is to trust your instincts to be able to tell you who is the right person for you. How childish was it to believe in constancy of life and feelings. But most importantly, how stupid it was to trust people and expect them to make you feel good. Cole looked into Elenore’s eyes and smiled. God bless that basterd Ted.

© 2015 Emilija


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on November 16, 2014
Last Updated on July 19, 2015

Author

Emilija
Emilija

Füssen, Bavaria, Germany



Writing
Not Cool Not Cool

A Story by Emilija