BBC WRITE '07 LIVE

BBC WRITE '07 LIVE

A Story by Annelien K Kortleven
"

A fictionised descriptio of the BBC Write '07 Live event I went to last year.

"

 

BBC Write ’07 Live
 
The audience sat down on their benches in anticipation. Some fidgeted nervously about whilst others gabbled like clucking hens to the person next to them. But all this didn’t stop them from forming that all-important question in each of their minds: Have I won?
            Five minutes later they silenced and halted themselves as Radio Presenter Richard Savage stepped onto the dais in front of them. There he introduced himself, ran through the proceedings of the event and called up the first act to the stage.
            The members of the act appeared out of the audience, sauntered on stage and adjusted their equipment before starting. The poet then performed three of his best loved poems, whilst the musician accompanied him by playing a lulling melody on his harp. Once they’d finished, the audience heartily applauded them and the duo ambled offstage and slipped silently back to their places.
            Savage then announced it was time to hear some of the entrants read their work and called up a handful of them to do this. The appointed entrants came on stage and read their pieces aloud, pausing between readers to allow the congregation time to celebrate their successes with them. When they’d finished reading, the crowd gave them all a merry round of applause; then the readers disbanded and returned to their seats, ready for the next part of the event.
            Savage then called for a break and the majority lined up for refreshments, eager to quench their thirst before the second half. And after a few minutes of queuing and an empty cup in most their hands, the congregation sat back down and the remaining half got under way.
            Savage, back on stage, declared the prize award ceremony was about to begin, and then called out the winners’ names, starting with the six and unders and ending with the adults. And after everyone had come up and collected their prizes, the crowd showered each individual with praise, and the winners departed to their seats.
            Next Savage introduced John Roberts to the dais to announce the overall winner. With all eyes on him, John addressed the audience, saying he already knew the winner’s identity and that this person’s piece had even superseded all of the adult entries. He then toyed with the red envelope in his hands for a moment before carefully opening it and announcing that the winner was…
            Pulses quickened, faces became tense and lined with worry, and the whole room crackled with the emanations of repressed hopefulness as John played out his purposeful delay.
            ‘…Kevin Maltby from Kettering,’ John’s voice finally rang out. Kevin, surprised, hopped tentatively out of his seat and down to the stage, a half-smile forming on his young face.
            There John presented him with his winnings¾ the trophy and cheque for one hundred pounds¾ and there they stood close together while their picture was taken by the resident photographer. John stated that Kevin was the first person under eighteen to win the award and that he would be back top help judge next year’s winner. Finally, he asked Kevin to read his winning piece, Grandpa Died, out loud.
            Kevin did so, and once he’d finished was met by a huge round of applause. John and Kevin then returned to their places, marking the end of the ceremony for another year running.
            Afterwards, Savage got on stage, recited his closing speech, thanking all the participants for entering their submissions, and asked the congregation to give everyone a last round of applause.
            They did so, then sensing the event to be fully over, picked up their belongings, dusted themselves off, and headed out of Wicky’s Cave.               

© 2008 Annelien K Kortleven


Author's Note

Annelien K Kortleven
Please could you help me reduce this piece by 112 words. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
Added on June 12, 2008

Author

Annelien K Kortleven
Annelien K Kortleven

Northampton, United Kingdom