ENGLISH IS PREGNANT... AGAIN

ENGLISH IS PREGNANT... AGAIN

A Story by Elise Anton
"

Review turned into... you decide.

"

This started off as a review. Then it kept growing. In the meantime the argument over at the piece I was about to review was heating up. I just checked now and it has been taken down. I do hope it returns, for I can certainly add my two cent's worth. I'll do so anyway I guess, through this piece.


That piece was titled "Are all Grammar Nazis Fascists?" A provocative enough title on its own but then the author had added a short description, citing the piece was "for those from a Third World Country whose English is a second language and all those other disadvantaged ones who fall prey..." Something like that.


Proponents and opponents both emerged in the short time the piece was in the public forum. The author bowed to pressure - justifiably or not - and removed the piece. I read it and sure, I felt threatened by the messages it conveyed. It spoke directly to me, it labelled and defined me as a Grammar Nazi - the second word carrying the connotation of a presumed affiliation with 'Ethnic Cleansing' and the upholding of a 'Master Race'. I was offended, certainly. Yet. I understood the premise it was founded on.


So when I say English is pregnant again, I mean it.


Languages are in a state of perpetual evolution. We do not therefore speak 'Shakespearean' English today. We do not even speak the English of fifty years ago! Or even twenty years ago for that matter.


There are times during this evolution (and I am focussing on English here since a lot of this also stems from the fact that 'English' is/has become the 'World' language and as such, there is a division of those 'native' to it and those 'introduced and at times forced to communicate' within it,) when something momentous occurs. The invention of paper, the invention of the printing press, the odd dark period of suppression - and most currently - the invention of the mobile phone and ultimately, the internet.


These I call pregnancies. Times when for a period, those speaking the old language tussle with those awaiting the birth of the new one. As in every tussle, there are sides and supporters/opponents, there are words exchanged and stances taken and much verbal fuss.


That's what we face today.


The impact of technology on the 'current' English language has been swift and widespread. Everything systematically condensed - data is expensive - too many things to follow at once so distractions further compress the various conversations over mobile devices... Sentences become single words, the words themselves unrecognisable, often mere acronyms.


Those born prior lament the deconstruction and accelerating loss of their 'pre-technology' English.


Those born within it on the other hand, are comfortable and see no reason to conform or rather 'revert' to the old English ways.


There is a circle. Everyone within that circle communicates in English easily and 'faultlessly' (in their opinion) amongst each other. These are the young ones, the disadvantaged ones, the early 'adoptees'... whoever.


Then there is an outer, thinner circle. Distanced from the inner by all manner of circumstances: Location, ethnicity, level of education, state of their Nation... They look at the communication taking place inside that circle and feel outrage, outright concern about the degradation of their English language. They watch in horror and despair as it is taken apart, condensed, reduced to a level of comprehension deemed everything from excruciating to unfathomable.


Yet they do nothing. "English is butchered, no one can spell any more, the Education System is failing, English is lost... but what can we do about it? It's the way the world is going... sadly..." They do their best to remain firmly on the fence, ignoring all the tussling.


There is yet a third even narrower circle. These so named 'Grammar Nazis'. They stand outside vigorously rebelling against this new technology-driven system which not only encourages, but further condenses language by reducing even emotions to emoticons, 'meaningful messages' to mere memes. They see every misspelled word, every unstructured sentence as another sign of loss, another small death, and feel it their duty to fight - to preserve the English they in turn believe is sacrosanct.


Yes, there should be an effort to 'preserve' the current English language in its proper structure and form. We (the Grammar Nazis upholding the accepted written rules) are at a time in history. Our passage deserves recognition, same as every other 'version' of us has done in the past. Our identity as peoples sharing a time in World History merits a mention... We want our literature and our way of speaking safeguarded from extinction.


We collectively as humanity hold dear and revere man's earlier attempts at language; those surviving on cave walls and stone tablets and papyrus and fragile pages between leather-bound books locked in temperature-controlled environments.


We (the current Grammar Nazis) also feel we belong there too, our version of English held dear and revered aeons from now. 


Yet at each transition period, there would surely have been the same tussle we see going on today: The stalwarts versus the progressives.


Because see, the desperation on the stalwarts' side stems from the knowledge that they are outnumbered; fighting a losing war. They know this! Progress, evolution - call it whatever - sweeps through the masses and gathers the majority, pulling them towards a re-birth. The few resisting are the minority and as more and more of us die off, the pregnancy progresses until the point of birth is reached.


By then, most will have forgotten us and our 'older' version... or perhaps they'll visit it and us now and again prodded by nostalgia or curiosity or as a lesson in history for the younger generations...


Language, English or otherwise may cease existing altogether at some future point. Already, inroads are being made into controlling and sharing thoughts... The singularity - where the clear distinction between human and machine is indistinguishable - is apparently nigh...


The progressives of today may at some near-future time face the demise of their own 'English'. They may sit on the fence or choose to fight for their emoticons and emojis and memes and the various acronyms they embrace today... For their own passage in history to be preserved...


I guess there is no getting out of this ahead of the birth. The tussle will continue, the name-calling and justifications from each 'side' will persist until they slowly fade away and the new English is birthed as the English of the times...

© 2016 Elise Anton


Author's Note

Elise Anton
I had to.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That title caught my attention for being pleonastic, it was itching my brain. But the piece was about Grammar Police bullying people that do not know English properly due to education or lack of access to it, not about Grammar Police in general. It's an even thinner circle than the one you mentioned. It seems I misinterpreted the piece, as the author stated, but my impression was that the issue was on bullying, not on the Grammar Police. But if the definition of Grammar Police is bullying, then I cannot agree with that generalization and I indeed misinterpreted the piece.

Now, to your piece:
The lowering of a preexisting standard happens when the creative power is in free fall, if not already dead. I do not think the West - where English comes from - has any culture (creative power) left. It's a civilization dedicated to material progress and comfort, not spiritual growth.
Same happens with language, it's in decay because its creative power has waned. But this vacuum had to be filled, and it's filled not with inventiveness, imagination or creation, but with comfort and laziness, hence the use of shortened words, emojis and other nonsense.
For these reasons, I cannot call this the "evolution" of language but "degradation", which per se is not a wrong thing.
It is obvious that for all actions there is an opposite reaction. Yes, I'm on the reactionary faction, today called conservatives, or stalwarts as you call them. And yes, history, showed us that most of the times they are on the losing side.
As for the Grammar Police, while I think they are desperately needed (if they do the job properly), they are defending something I consider long dead. Ungrateful work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stefano Segnan

8 Years Ago

Safety of the known... perhaps. But history showed me what happens when a culture dies, and it is no.. read more
Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

I see where you are going. Sure. presented this way, one would have to say no it has not. If one wer.. read more
Stefano Segnan

8 Years Ago

If you take art into consideration, I see the western spirit as wanting to achieve either God or the.. read more



Reviews

Hi Elise. I thought I'd peruse some of your other work, and I happened upon this one. Wow! There's a lot of angst out there in the WC community, isn't there? I must confess I scooted through your piece a bit because I was drawn to my own prejudices. Moi? I have loads! In my head I think I have a dividing line
- Language will always evolve; I may not always like the new things, but that's just tough. I usually read two books at any one time, and I'm in a Jane Austen/Charles Dickens period at the moment. It's fascinating to see how much is similar but also how much is detectably not as we would say it today, both in actual words and also in phrasing
- At any time, however, I would contend that language has a set of largely accepted norms, which i could call mainstream grammar; and I certainly expect writers on WC to try and observe these, or to veer from them knowingly and intentionally for impact. I do not like what i see as lazy spelling and grammar because I think the writer is insulting their readers and also potentially putting out statements that they haven't realised are capable of different interpretations as a result of their 'poor' grammar, inconsistent tenses, etc etc

I do have particular bugbears more generally, most obviously apostrophes, where I think writer's of commercial advertisement's that make it onto TV or posters' or magazines' should always get it right, as its their personal responsibility to their profession to maintain it's standards (all intentional!). But that brings me back to evolution and someone learning the language as an adult - in the possessive form, my book is Nigel's book, so why on earth would something belonging to 'it' not be it's??? Hey Ho. Oh My Other Bugbear Is Song Titles and Headlines Where Almost Every Word Starts with Upper Case Unless the Words are Short.

I do have rebellious moments. I believe I should say 'an historic episode', but I never ever do. What a rebel I am.

So in WC what's my stance? I will often point out or query tense, punctuation, spelling errors, but I also try to stand back from them and let the rest of the piece flow and paint its pictures. I try to balance my feedback so that my grammar comments are only a small part of the total. I tend not to 'befriend' people whose work is repeatedly littered with grammatical glitches, and neither do I tend to comment upon their work. It's evident that many such people have an audience which by its own rules (which may be non-rules) truly appreciates their writing; so be it. It's just not my bag.

Anyway, enough said. This is evidently something that gets folk to write long turgid responses like this one, so .....! Cheers N

Posted 8 Years Ago


Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Oh that's the part I enjoy the most. I was there once myself... and had no one. It's a way of giving.. read more
Nigel Newman

8 Years Ago

I must go to bed! But just quickly to say, I used to do a lot of class-based training around interpe.. read more
Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

It's worked so far, but I have been lucky in that those reaching out have an avid interest in improv.. read more
The title is what made me want to read this piece. The moment I read it I was curious a*s to what it meant. I am sure that much of what you said in this piece I did not interpret correctly, regardless of that though I think this piece was incredible. It made me consider the way I speak and compare it to the way of my grandparents and even parents. I loved the way you described the way that we (people my age) communicate and how a conversation now holds little emotions. I personally do not text often but when I do I realise that even I, some one who loves English and the amount of emotion words can portray, use the current trends while talking. This piece has made me think about the term "lol" and how now days we use it to show we found something funny but my mother who is only thirty so years older than me used it to show how much she loved something. It makes me wonder not only about whether we will have the English language in the future at all but also about what it will be like thirty years from now. A truly incredible piece that I loved reading and will think about often.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Apologies for the delay in responding! Thank you for offering up some very interesting observations,.. read more
Laura S-C

8 Years Ago

I understand what you mean. Although I write pen and paper and school and often when a thought pops .. read more
Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Oh I usually respond the same day at the very least, so this was bad for me! Makes sense what you ar.. read more
It reminds me of Melvyn Braggs "The Adventures of English", and how - no matter which way you slice it - the "English language" always has been a bit of a mongrel. Maybe always will. Is it a good thing that most communication is non-verbal?

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Davidgeo

8 Years Ago

You jerk it hard.... all day.

Until the next one. Straight lines are for freaks and .. read more
Davidgeo

8 Years Ago

Stick with the Zen Buddhist Nazi Pirates... that's a heck of a crew let me fuggin tell You...
Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Striking combination... All at sea?
Beautiful, as all of your pieces are. You convey your point in a clear way that is completely understandable. I have to say, I agree with you completely.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Thanks Hyacinth, I had to get this one out. Me being me, always searching to understand...
Hyacinth

8 Years Ago

I understand how you feel, it's like your in a library Tring to read through the book covers... Or t.. read more
Hyacinth

8 Years Ago

**trying ** name
I admire you for always caring enuf & taking the time to dive head first into the controversial issues we writers wrestle with every day. I respect the way you try to see & acknowledge all sides (very well done here, using your "circle" visual) . . . yet you're also not tiptoeing around the message you wish to express. I only wish such intelligent & sensitive debating skills were possessed by our politicians! *smile*

As for my personal observations on this topic . . . pretty much like yours . . . the world turns & life evolves, be it science, language, romance, etc. If I don't like the way things are going, I just remind myself this is THEIR world now. I gladly give it over. We didn't do such a hot job of caring for things. And future generations will make their mistakes. If they feel strongly enuf, they can try to turn back the clock on things, as the older generation has often done or tried to do. It is what it is.

The strongest thing about your piece, of course, is the "pregnancy" analogy & how you named the various events (thru time) that precipitated a new avalanche of new stuff (in many regards, not just language).

Bravo for your courage & tact & directness! (((HUGS)))

Posted 8 Years Ago


Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Thanks barleygirl. As I said, this was going to be a simple review. But my level of discomfort rose .. read more
Since I am not familiar with the original piece, I can only comment on yours:

Catchy title although I would compare it rather to a snake shedding yet another skin. The creature becomes thinner and thinner until it is barely held together, in our case by emoticons and the like.
I am entirely in agreement with yout; however, I am having trouble grasping the distinction between the thin outer circle and the even thinner, outer one of Grammar Nazis.

As a teacher, I can watch the horrid phenomenon unfold under my very nose with every class test, be it German or English. I, too, despair over this development. However, I see no way to FIGHT it, only little ways to raise awareness by pointing out useful synonyms, half-forgotten terms etc. and of course to encourage them to read.
Also I will always explore language to the fullest; not only stories but in e-mails or notes. Perhaps a catchy expression in one of these pieces of correspondence will make its reader perk up and take notice.

Other than that I fear that such development is only natural.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Interesting observation Lalochezia, thanks for your imput. The middle layer I alluded to is the peop.. read more
Lalochezia

8 Years Ago

Like I wrote, I am contributing my part but I would not regard it as 'fighting' for what means would.. read more
Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

We're not talking private lives here, the issue is what is happening to the English 'language' publi.. read more
That title caught my attention for being pleonastic, it was itching my brain. But the piece was about Grammar Police bullying people that do not know English properly due to education or lack of access to it, not about Grammar Police in general. It's an even thinner circle than the one you mentioned. It seems I misinterpreted the piece, as the author stated, but my impression was that the issue was on bullying, not on the Grammar Police. But if the definition of Grammar Police is bullying, then I cannot agree with that generalization and I indeed misinterpreted the piece.

Now, to your piece:
The lowering of a preexisting standard happens when the creative power is in free fall, if not already dead. I do not think the West - where English comes from - has any culture (creative power) left. It's a civilization dedicated to material progress and comfort, not spiritual growth.
Same happens with language, it's in decay because its creative power has waned. But this vacuum had to be filled, and it's filled not with inventiveness, imagination or creation, but with comfort and laziness, hence the use of shortened words, emojis and other nonsense.
For these reasons, I cannot call this the "evolution" of language but "degradation", which per se is not a wrong thing.
It is obvious that for all actions there is an opposite reaction. Yes, I'm on the reactionary faction, today called conservatives, or stalwarts as you call them. And yes, history, showed us that most of the times they are on the losing side.
As for the Grammar Police, while I think they are desperately needed (if they do the job properly), they are defending something I consider long dead. Ungrateful work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stefano Segnan

8 Years Ago

Safety of the known... perhaps. But history showed me what happens when a culture dies, and it is no.. read more
Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

I see where you are going. Sure. presented this way, one would have to say no it has not. If one wer.. read more
Stefano Segnan

8 Years Ago

If you take art into consideration, I see the western spirit as wanting to achieve either God or the.. read more
Cause, you're an orange butterfly... and you still look pretty when you're putting the damage on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXJj4CJV2Lc



Posted 8 Years Ago


Yeah, you did have to I suppose... In that many words though? I write poetry.... the f**k's your problem? I'll review the s**t out of this when I'm not so drunk off scotch mother f****n whiskey. I'm not you man... fug that... That's too many words....

Posted 8 Years Ago


0 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Hyacinth

8 Years Ago

You don't have to be sorry :). And I won't say anything more on this . But the thing is that at firs.. read more
Davidgeo

8 Years Ago

I don't care about any of this.
Elise Anton

8 Years Ago

Oh you so do care. But not in any recognisable way... Shucks.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

714 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 8, 2016
Last Updated on March 8, 2016
Tags: writing, thoughts, people, history, language, Grammar Nazis, tussle, progress, loss

Author

Elise Anton
Elise Anton

Australia



About
Hello from downunder! I am one of those people who can just sit and write. It's like breathing for me. I've never shared and never published. It was my thing, my escape, my therapy... I have two so.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Untouchable Untouchable

A Story by KWP