Gullible

Gullible

A Poem by eglantine

I wore night for you,
   a necklace of strawberry pearls,
   black stockings slipped
   on like evening.

I had never let anyone watch
the moon rise from my sigh,
                           my breasts.

My skin, pearly under lunar
radiation, soft beneath
your whispers.

I let you fill my lungs
   with stars,
my heart with the promise
   of a thousand galaxies.

© 2013 eglantine


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, let me say it again, wow. Eglantine, beautiful does not even come close to describing this poem. Wow!!!

E, I had to add to this review after I woke up and really read the title. Still this is beyonnd beautiful but so very sad. It is amazing how my emotions have flip-flopped in just a few short minutes.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

Thanks Jack :)



Reviews

Eglantine is such a great poet I am running out of words, like great, well- written,she is a poet of enourmous talent who has a fine future as a writer....

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I hope I do lol
I love the contradiction in the title to the delicious eroticism in the poem....like the head shouting to the heart "HELLO...oooo! You`re not listening!!" Delightful. P.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Yes, thank you as always for stopping by
This is so nice. Your words take reader as a little floating-like-a-seed-on-the-air flight through your scene. Thanks. Xo.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Aw, I like that image. Thank you!
Melobldnfr

11 Years Ago

You're welcome. :-)
Gullible or open hearted? Some will say they are one in the same. Nice work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

True, but even so I always seem to be more gullible than most
Beautifully written; a sublime bit of imagery and delicate longing. The juxtaposition between the title and the content is quite tragic, and something that I have experienced in my own life. Sometimes we give so freely of ourselves that we cannot see beyond the giving...we cannot see the entire matter put out before us until it is over. Very nicely written piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Yes, thanks for stopping by
Not so gullible I think. Trusting where you must trust or cease living. As always, wonderful imagery The last verse is my favorite.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Thanks for reading, Mark
soo lovely......full of love and devotion :) just beautiful

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Merci! I appreciate it
I like the idea of wearing night and slipping on stockings of evening that you give us in the first stanza. There is something particularly alluring about that thought. Its a very sensual and passionate sort of idea. Maybe shows a change from what the speaker is used to, possibly something the speaker was coerced into doing because thats what her lover liked. I get the sense that she is the kind of girl that would like to wear day with garlands of forget me not flowers and dew drips from the first rays of the sun. Maybe I'm wrong there.

I also like the second stanza. There is a very striking vulnerability there; sort of a virginal newness to the act. Very striking and all.

I've always been a fan of cosmic imagery and ideas. It makes sense to expand outward to that point so we can describe the large feelings we have. So with that said, I like the image of the stars in the lungs.

He sounds like he was quite the tempter indeed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

:) So glad you enjoyed it
a wonderful analogy of love to the galaxy...but do we believe in life on other planets?

some say we are gullible if we do..and others say we are just aas gullible to believe in love...

sad twist at the end...but meteoric in its beauty. the whole radiation idea, the breasts...almost like love can be a cancer...and in the end we have to radically cut it out.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

Thank you Jacob
The last line was perfect, somewhat magical. Loved it Eglantine:-):-):-D.

Posted 11 Years Ago


eglantine

11 Years Ago

merci!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

608 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 21, 2013
Last Updated on June 21, 2013
Tags: stars, galaxies, love, heart, heartbreak

Author

eglantine
eglantine

Somewhere Someplace



About
I graduated with my B.A. in English (emphasis creative writing) My ultimate goal is to be the U.S. Poet Laureate and to be a college professor of poetry. I'm a wildflower with a poetic soul. I'm als.. more..

Writing
Insomnia Insomnia

A Poem by eglantine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Half-life Half-life

A Poem by eglantine


Scumbag Scumbag

A Poem by s y e