The Call Of The Jungle

The Call Of The Jungle

A Story by Don Loco
"

Only weeks before winter's touch, Don Loco's new sea-faring vessel, La Perla Negra, entered the Nicaraguan docks - his final destination.

"

Only weeks before winter's touch, Don Loco's new sea faring vessel, La Perla Negra, entered the Nicaraguan docks - his final destination. Nicaragua was the home of the legendary maestro from La Fina Cafe. His farm was hidden deep in the jungle, close to what the natives called El Corazon. The journey inland was dangerous and long. The locals warned Don Loco to follow closely and never stray from the path. The closer they got to El Corazon, the more the jungle would whisper to people luring them deep into the trees only to fall to their demise.

Midway through the journey to the maestro's farm, the caravan settled at a campground near the largest waterfall in all the land. They swam in the refreshing waters and rested. As the sun began to set, Don Loco and a small group hiked to the top of the waterfall. Up there, so close to the clouds, they waited for the night sky to light up with stars. As he watched the landscape of the universe come alive before, him he felt a connection to the vastness of his reality. It was in this moment of awe that Don Loco felt the hairs on his whole body rise as a tingling rushed from his head to his feet. This surge of energy filled him with excitement and passion, and gave him a feeling of connection and understanding he had never known before. That night he slept soundly and dreamed of events that unbeknownst to him would soon come to pass.

The next morning, just before the sun rose, Don Loco woke to the sounds of the most beautiful creatures he had ever seen. He recognized them as parrots, and it sounded like they were talking to him. He was captivated by them and found himself standing right in front of them. The largest parrot looked at him and he could swear it said, "sigeme, sigeme" and he flew into the trees. Without hesitation, he followed the beautiful birds and before he realized it he was deep in the jungle. As he traversed the wild lands, he saw the birds land close to a heavily shaded area. One parrot looked directly at him, paused a few moments, and flew inside. It was as if the bird had a secret he wanted to share, so Don Loco followed him.

Don Loco cleared the vines and looked inside the enclosed area; he couldn't see much, but he smelled a delicious aroma. His eyes grew wide in surprise as he inhaled what he recognized as the enticing smell of coffee. He ventured further in, and the scent grew stronger as he walked toward the center. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he could see a beautifully crafted onyx pedestal that looked like it grew straight out of the ground. On top of it was an ancient leather bound book with gold lettering glinting in the darkness.  He reached out and wiped the dust off revealing the title, "Asado."

"Asado," Don Loco thought to himself, "Hmmm, 'A Roaster?'" he questioned. As he began to open the book, the sun's rays broke through the canopy and the gold title glimmered brightly. That same feeling of connection that he felt last night was suddenly welling up in him again as the word "Asado" glowed in his vision. He began to read, and page by page the words came to life inside his mind's eye. This awakening set Don Loco on a path to becoming the world's first Maestro Asado. 

Visions of the future flooded Don Loco's mind, and in an instant, he realized he was standing in the middle of El Corazon by himself with all the parrots surrounding and watching him. He closed his hands around the sacred book and thanked the sun god, Sue`, for illuminating his future and the parrots for directing his path as he turned away to walk back to the camp. Just as he turned, Sue` cast a ray that glinted off a pearl set atop the pedestal. He examined where the book had lain and discovered there were many pearls covering the edges of the pedestal.

Don Loco reached out and picked up one of the pearls. The beauty of the dark colored pearl was exquisite. It was onyx like the pedestal, but this was no ordinary black; it had a purplish almost royal blue hue to it. Don Loco held up the pearl in the light of the sun and said out loud, "The world will know the Dark Pearl!"

To learn about Don Loco Coffee visit www.BeanLoco.com.

© 2022 Don Loco


Author's Note

Don Loco
Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on August 10, 2022
Last Updated on August 10, 2022
Tags: coffee, new, fiction