Sloppy Execution

Sloppy Execution

A Story by Sauti_Ukweli
"

Roger Reed is faced with a most challenging situation. Will the execution go as planned?

"

Having long ago heard death called the scariest of human experiences; I couldn’t disagree more.  Worse than death, at least to me, was living confined to this place for the past ten years.  My life had become very monotonous; however I did look forward to the weekly visits from family, friends, and clergy.  Having people tell you when and what you can do, eat, wear, could be referred to as most tedious. Thus, when Cindy came down here and told me of their plan; the date of execution; and that it was etched in stone, it was no sweat off my back.  As the day drew closer however, it mortified me.  Time and confinement took my mind to the darkest of places.  Darker than what my words could ever communicate.  Now, the day was upon us and my feelings were uncertain.  One thing was sure, it was time to get on with it.

Opening my door and breaking my train of thought, they walked in.  Their faces that had become so familiar since my confinement held different meanings today. 

“Mr. Reed, are you ready sir?” asked Mr. Hawkins, standing to the right of me.

A ball of joyful energy, my answer burst forth instantly.  “Much.” 

“Right this way,” said Mr. Nichols, standing to my left.

Securing me tightly, ensuring that I would not and could not go anywhere except the intended destination, we began the walk.  Step by interminable step, emotions of fear and uncertainty overflowed.  This was it.  Today was the day.

“Mr. Reed, remember, Psalm 46:10 reminds us to be still and know that He is God,” said Pastor Arby, who walked mere inches behind us.

Smiling on the way up the corridor, my heart leapt with joy.  “Amen”

“You know my favorite scripture is Colossians 3:23-24.”

“The one that reminds us that since we work for the Lord, His inheritance is our reward.” 

“Amen.  That’s the one!   And pastor, can I make a request?.”
“Yes sir.”

“Would you read it like you always do at my celebration?”

“Most definitely.”

Stopping , I embraced Pastor Arby.  “Love you so much, Pastor!”

Hugging me tightly but gently, he spoke. “Love you back, you’re an amazing man!”

Journeying on, my mind wandered.  Thinking about my life; my choices; my works done up to this point, I had to give God the glory.  He had kept me this long.”

“Mr. Reed, we’re here.  The time has come.”

“Where should I go?” asked Pastor Arby.

“Over there,” said Mr. Hawkins, indicating the seats that were to the left of the curtains.

Nervous and trembling, I stood still; staring at the door that was ahead of me.  This was it.  The walk was over.  We were here.  There was no turning back now.

Turning around to attempt escape nearly sent me tumbling.

“Oh no,” said Mr. Nichols, steadying my balance, propelling me forward.  “That’s not an option.  It’s time.”

Pulling open the door, they rushed me to the front of the room.  And placing a blindfold over my eyes, the inevitable moment was here.  

“Bring them in,” said Mr. Hawkins.

Despite my being unable to see them, I could hear their footsteps loud and clear, and knew exactly where they were going.  Seat by seat, they filled the room.  Respectful and silent.

After the shuffling stopped, it was time.

Pulling off my blindfold, revealed a huge banner, Happy 102nd Birthday! From Your Friends at Thebes County Senior Citizens Home!

“SURPRISE!” everyone exclaimed in unison. It was all of my fifteen children; thirty grandchildren; twenty-one great grandchildren; and eight great great grandchildren.

 Looking around, I smiled and widened my eyes pretending to be in disbelief.“I love you guys so much! Thank you!  This is wonderful! Look at my family!”

With agitated eyes pouncing on his daughter, my oldest son, Aaron boomed.  “CINDY, YOU TOLD HIM ABOUT THIS?”

“Dad, you know Grandpa hates the spotlight, so I had to,” Cindy retorted.  “And Grandpa, you were supposed to widen your eyes BEFORE you smile, not after.”

Reaching to hug him, my heart overflowed now with delight.  “Son, come here.”   Hastening toward me, he complied, hugging me warmly.

“At my age, a surprise like this could give an old man a heart attack.  Is that what you want for your father?

“No sir.”

“She knows the spotlight makes me nervous, so she did what was asked of her.  Now shut up and let’s eat.”

Laughing heartily, he looked at me with teasing eyes.  “Yes sir.”

Standing up, Pastor Arby turned toward everyone present.  “As you requested Mr. Reed, here’s your scripture.  Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”

“Say so man of God!”

“Mr. Reed, you have worked with all of your heart as unto the Lord, and as you can see from your family, who is gathered here today in your honor, you have an inheritance! A great inheritance!”

“Amen!”

© 2024 Sauti_Ukweli


Author's Note

Sauti_Ukweli
Looking for information specifically about content as this is for a creative writing class.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on February 7, 2024
Last Updated on February 7, 2024