The Reunion

The Reunion

A Story by Sauti_Ukweli
"

When Phylissia Reed goes to her 20 year high school reunion, she rethinks if she really wants her “wish.”

"
Since starting high school at the age of 14, I had long awaited this day. In fact I had prayed for it, and even wished on many a falling star. A day when those who had treated me as though I were worthy of derision and ridicule would come to understand just who I was. They would see me, and wish for my friendship; which would be just out of their reach. And seeing the life I had, they would be overcome with envy and regrets. What better place to accomplish this, than your 20 year high school reunion? They say be careful what you wish for.

“Hi there Dr. and Mrs. Reed! Here are your name tags. You’ll be at table two,” said Beulah, standing to hug and greet us.

“Hi Beulah!” I responded, hugging her back.
“Phyllisia! You look great, it’s so good to see you! How are you?”

“Thanks Beulah! Life is amazing. My husband, Paul, recently followed in my footsteps, and went into private practice as a physician,” I beamed.

“Incredible! I knew you would grow up to be somebody great!” exclaimed Beulah. “You’re a doctor?”

“I’m a lawyer. I mean he followed in my footsteps in terms of going into private practice. But enough about me. How have you been? Looking beautiful as always!”

“Thanks Phyl! My life isn’t nearly as exciting, but I’m happy. I’m a mother of two and make a living doing hair,” said Beulah, showing me a picture.

“Your children are absolutely adorable,” I smiled. “Looking like a perfect mix of you and Keith.”

“Don’t mention his name!” snapped Beulah.

“I’m so sorry,” I replied.

“No Phyllisia, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have talked to you like that. Keith and I divorced last year. He took the children and fled the country. I haven’t seen my babies since last Christmas.”

“That’s awful,” I replied. “Do you know where they are?”

“In Vietnam with Keith and his new wife, Miachu. Apparently, after my breast reduction, I wasn’t good enough for him anymore.”

“Vietnam has no extradition treaty with the United States.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Have you talked to Edith lately?” I asked, changing the awkward subject.

“You didn’t hear?”

“Hear what?”

“Tragedies have a way of …”

“Phyllisia baby, we gotta take our seats, they’ve started,” Paul interrupted her. “I’m sorry Beulah.”

“Paul, Beulah was telling me what happened with Edith.” I said, standing still.

“Well, she’s definitely better off now,” he said.

“She’s better off than any of us,” added Beulah.

“You must be talking about Edith,” said Gary, just arriving. “Hey Phyllisia! Good to see you!”

“Hi.”

“Baby, let’s get to our seats, they’re starting,” said Paul.

“Uh, right,” I replied, following him.

“Welcome to our twentieth high school reunion!” boomed Marian from the podium. “It’s great to see you! As we begin tonight with hors d'oeuvres and drinks, we would like to have a moment of silence to remember those who have gone on before us. We must never forget them nor their contributions.”

Tears stung my eyes. Was it really so important that I come here, in my thousand dollar dress just to show off? How pathetic was it that I, being blessed with wealth, status, and children would resort to flaunting it? Poor Edith. How was it that someone who lost a parent and two siblings had managed to stay so strong during our childhood, meanwhile I, who had only endured part of what she did, grew into a fickle adult? For Christ’s sake! We were children when they bullied me. We’re grown now.

“Phyllisia, you okay?” asked Paul.

“Yeah,” I whispered.

“Ladies and gentlemen, right before you get your hors d’oeuvres, and order drinks from the open bar, we’re going to have a woman we all have come to know and love come grace us with a few words. Please welcome, Governor Harris.” Marian continued.

“Good evening, former classmates! It’s wonderful to be back home again!” began a familiar voice. “25 years ago, when I was 15, I had unspeakable tragedy befall me. Having lost two siblings and my father, I felt my life had ended. The state stepped in, and I was adopted by a family who loved me in spite of me. Today, I …”

“Edith!” I shouted.

“Phyl!!” She shouted back.

Stopping her speech and throwing the microphone, she darted towards me. Hugging her tightly, the tears started and seemed to flow forever.

“You’re Governor Harris?” I gasped.

“Surprise,” she smiled.

“This is very touching, and very special, but we need our speaker back at the podium,” said Marian.

“Oh, shut up girl!” yelled Beulah moving closer toward us. “Sometimes the best part of the show is the moments you ain’t plan.”

“We’ll catch up afterward Phyl, let me go back and finish speaking,” said Edith.

“Beulah, you said she had passed away,” I whispered.

“Passed away? Girl no! When I said she’s better off than all of us, I was talking about her show, ‘Better Off with Governor E.’ I was shocked you ain’t never hear of it. Y’all was like sisters.”

“We lost touch over the years. And some of us forgot the things that are truly important in life.”

“I know what you’re hinting at. And Phyllisia, everyone knew you’d make it. It’s ourselves we were unsure of. That’s why we didn’t do right by you. I’ve been wanting to ask your forgiveness for a long time, I just haven’t known how. You’re right though.”

“I meant me. I’m the one who lost sight of what was important. At a time in my life when Edith was the only friend I had, I turned my back on her. And tonight, well, hearing her speak, I regained sight of what truly matters in life.”

“Phyllisia, I envy you today more than ever. You got a good career, a husband that loves you, beautiful children, and a future of promise. Me, I’m just a nobody.”

“No, you’re a somebody. I will represent you for free. Monday morning, we’re drawing up a motion to get you legal custody of those children.”

“It don’t matter, Vietnam won’t be able to uphold it.”

“It does matter. Vietnam enforced a French court order in 2019 regarding child custody. Do you know their exact location?”

“All I got is this piece of mail. Everytime they move, Keita sneaks and sends me a letter telling me where she is.”

“Brilliant! Brilliant! I can use this!”

“Huh?”

“All it takes is this postal code for us to track mail within a foreign municipality.”

“What happens then?”

“We’re gonna track your kids, get a court order giving you custody, and then fly over there with you. We can go about this one of two ways. Either we can initiate court proceedings, or we can meet the children where they are one day and just take them with us.”

“Keith won’t allow it.”

“Well, according to this letter, they go to school at the Ho Chi Minh Academy.”

“What does that matter?”

“When we get a court order, we’ll just go over there and take them from school one day.”
“Who can afford to pay that kind of money to get there?”

“We can.”

“Phyllisia, why?”

“Why what?”

“Why do you wanna help me? I was mean to you. I called you unkind names and hurt you physically. And you still wanna help me,” Beulah bawled. “Why?”

“Because, what he did to you is a crime. As an attorney, I took an oath to help all people in need through the pursuit of justice. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

“And Beulah, I’ll use my show to spread awareness about this sort of thing. After you get your children out of Vietnam of course. We don’t wanna tip that scumbag off,” said Edith now standing at the door.

“I owe you guys my life,” cried Beulah.

“No, you owe that to your children,” said Edith. “The only thing you owe us is to live your best life!”

“Now let’s get this done!” I exclaimed.

© 2023 Sauti_Ukweli


Author's Note

Sauti_Ukweli
Rosa Guy wrote a novel called “The Friends.” My assignment in my creative writing class is to write a short story that is an extension of a well known novel.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on April 8, 2023
Last Updated on April 8, 2023