Sworn Testimony

Sworn Testimony

A Story by Sauti_Ukweli
"

Roger, an attorney has never been anxious about having to testify. Until now …

"
Having graduated from the prestigious, Harvard university law school at the top of my class, one would think it would be easy to do this sort of thing. After all, someone with experience as a public defender, and later in private practice would naturally be adept at public speaking. Well, as we know, that’s right in theory, but practice, well that’s another story. Yes it’s true, I am accustomed to speaking in front of a multitude of audiences. However, this day was a different sort of day. My role, a witness. My function, to testify.

“Roger remember to take deep breaths, and just tell the truth,“ said Helen.

“Helen, that’s why I love you so much,“ I smiled. “You always know how to make a difficult situation easier.“

“Roger, having been married to you for the past 21 years I know that you are a dynamic speaker. I also know that it’s different when being called on as a witness giving testimony.”

“You got that right. Let’s get out this car and go on inside now,“ I said.

“Roger, don’t these rambling roses looks so much better beside the lake?”

“Helen, I admit ever since they added that lake and plants have started growing, this path has been more pleasant to walk,” I said holding her hand.

“Here we are,” announced Helen.

Standing there before that old familiar brick building, my anxiety began to mount. Never in my whole career or in life, for that matter had I ever been as nervous as I was at this moment.

“Remember, stay calm, take a deep breath and just tell the truth. The testimony you’re getting ready to give could mean the difference between liberty and prison, between life and death.”

“ Helen, the thing about you that I love the most, your gift of gab, can also be the very thing that drives me crazy!“

“ Just stay calm and tell the truth everything will be fine.”

“Okay.”

As we entered, everyone was already standing.

“We’d better sit on the back row,” whispered Helen.

“Good idea, we’re late,” I said. “Just glad things haven’t gotten totally underway yet.”

“You may be seated,” I heard a minute later.

“Hey Roger!” whisperer Cornelia excitedly from the row in front of us.

“Hi,” I whispered smiling.

“Your testimony today is truly going to be critical. I’m glad you’re here. Roger, hopefully your testimony is enough to save my boy.”

“I’m gonna definitely try. After that, we can only put it in God’s hands. ”

“Thank God you’re here. I panicked when I didn’t see you.”

Sitting and waiting to be called had a different effect on me than it would if I were in the role of an attorney. It caused my anxiety to rise faster than the temperatures on summer morning in Mississippi, and my confidence to drop faster than Bill Clinton’s pants at an intern convention. Busying myself, I rehearsed in my mind once more the testimony I was getting ready to give.

“At this time, we would like to call on Mr. Roger Reese,” said a voice in the front, breaking my train of thought.

“You’re up, Rog. You got this!” cheered Helen.

Sweating and nervous, my hands probably measured a 10 on the Richter scale. This was it. Step by anxiety filled step, I inched closer to the front. With every eye on me in this packed room, I took my place.

“Are you ready Mr. Reese?” asked Bailiff adjusting the microphone.

“I am.”

“Let’s go.”

“Praise the Lord saints! First giving honor to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I’d just like to thank Sister Bailiff Parker, and I must say, what a name, for this opportunity.”

“Amen!” said the congregation.

“Two months ago, I was not a believer! I thought the Bible was filled with foolish fantasy. And that day, changed my life!”

“Preach Brother Reese!”

“I was driving up Jacoby Lane in a rain storm, hydroplaned and BOOM! Slammed right into a tree.”

“Amen! Say so man of God!”

“I was rapidly losing pints of blood and coded three times! In that time, I saw a light! And I felt a sense of peace take over me. A voice said to me ‘Roger, your time isn’t up yet!”

“Amen.”

“Right then, I knew God was real! Doctors tell me I’m a walking miracle! That they don’t know how I survived that collision. I tell them it was by the power of the Lord!”

“Amen.”

“Today, some young folks think their time is unlimited. I used to think so too. The doctor told me at my last check up that I’m 50 with the body of a 30 year old. But guess what? When I left his office, that accident quickly showed me that we never truly know when it may be our last time. I’m here to encourage somebody today! Get your house in order! Because I swear to you, no man knows the day nor the hour when Christ shall appear!”

“Amen,” hollered Helen running around the church dancing.

“I’ve said my piece! Now it’s up to you to decide. It’s in God’s hands now,” I concluded looking squarely at Cornelia.





© 2023 Sauti_Ukweli


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

'Sworn Testimony' is a very nice short story! It is concise and well worded and I felt like I was actually there in the story! One suggestion I would make is breaking up the dialogue some to paint the picture even more vividly. The big reveal that hes giving a testimony is very nice ! If you could clean it up some and make it hit harder or be more overwhelmingly evident, that'd be nice! It's a great read and once I reread it I could see it very clearly!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sauti_Ukweli

1 Year Ago

Thanks so much for your valuable feedback! I’m taking it all in from all readers and using this to.. read more



Reviews

'Sworn Testimony' is a very nice short story! It is concise and well worded and I felt like I was actually there in the story! One suggestion I would make is breaking up the dialogue some to paint the picture even more vividly. The big reveal that hes giving a testimony is very nice ! If you could clean it up some and make it hit harder or be more overwhelmingly evident, that'd be nice! It's a great read and once I reread it I could see it very clearly!

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sauti_Ukweli

1 Year Ago

Thanks so much for your valuable feedback! I’m taking it all in from all readers and using this to.. read more
I like the way this was written to make one think it was a court proceeding only to find out it's a testimony given at church. And then too might save a life and soul from the nightmare it can become if we let it. This is unique. Nice job!

Posted 1 Year Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Sauti_Ukweli

1 Year Ago

Thanks so much for the feedback! This helps me a lot as I am seeking the reader’s reactions to dif.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 12, 2023
Last Updated on March 12, 2023