FRIES FIRED

FRIES FIRED

A Story by Divya Madhale

Pizza, pasta, burgers, sandwiches loaded with cheese &mayonnaise...yummm...*nom-nom*...mouth watering...!!!
Spicy fried food has always been the choice of cuisines to delight you taste buds &give them the utter satisfaction of its existence.
French fries...the love of my life...making and then hogging on those fries is like my favourite pastimes.
My parents,like everyone's,are busy.They literally pre-schedule their holidays with all the work that isn't possible on their "work-days".
Not pretty sure about my age, but I must be nothing more than 13-14yrs, and as usual my parents left me home,alone, as they left early morning that holiday, to the dentist. Mentioning about my younger sister, she left for my granny's place with my parents.
I'm all alone at home...ALONE & FREE...!!!
It was the effect of afternoon time or boredom...i don't know...but I started feeling sleepy. And within no time, I was fast asleep.
Hunger is something that makes you go crazy. Since I had not eaten anything since morning, I woke upfrom sleep, hungry...!!!
Checked out the food that mumma made before leaving...but it was BORING...!!!
Checked out the fridge...but NOTHING...!!!
I'm starving... I'm going to die of this hunger...!!!
(Voices in my brain...duhhhhh...!)

Idea...!!! French fries...!!! The easiest and simplest thing to make...!!!
Kadhai...oil...potatoes...salt...knife...and you're done...!!!

I'm in the kitchen; potatoes cut & now is the time to keep oil in the kadhai for heating.
Oil indeed takes takes a lot of time to heat.
I kept oil for heating & waited to see some signs of the rising temperature of oil. I just hate waiting. Waiting is such a boredom...seeshh...!!!
I turned the gas knob to maximum heating & went to switch on the TV.
It's said that; whenever you need something the most, the chances of you getting it, is theleast.
No interesting programmes on the TV. I switched almost all the channels by now.
Suddenly, my favourite song popped up...Shahrukh...the king of my heart...my favourite actor...!!!
I started singing & dancing to that song. Again the next song & the next & the next & the next too...all those songs seemed to be my favourites.
It's just great to sit on the sofa with that TV remote, listening to the music that your soul cherishes to, and food that your tongue desires & stomach craves for.
Oops...food...french fries...OIL...!!!
As I turned my face towards the kitchen, there was all light in the passage area, which was coming from the kitchen.
I got up to check & what I saw was horribly scary. As that kadhai(vessel) was of thin material (aluminum, here), it had caught fire & the kitchen seemed to appear all reddish-orangish-yellowish. God knows what...!
Adrenaline rush or my courage or exactly what happened, I don't know; but I somehow went & turned off the gas knob & put a lid over that kadhai on flame.
Studying science sincerely...helps...!!!
The fire came down within sometime. But the smoke was making me cough and my eyes watery. I had to open all the windows & doors & switch on all the fans & the exhaust fan in the kitchen. After sometime, all I could see was that kadhai which had awesomely turned black, the walls had turned black too because of the smoke & the ceiling too.
I had absolutely no clue as what to do to get those walls back to their original appearance.
In the evening, when my parents returned, I fearfully told them the entire scene.
Any which ways I was going to get screwed, so telling them the truth was the only option I had. Hoping that they would beat me up for what I had done & how irresponsible I behaved that day, I was scared. I had almost set the house on fire, only if the gas cylinder also would have caught fire, I would have been dead.

Parents,truly, are unpredictable...!!!! After listening to the entire story, they just hugged me tightly & kept kissing me until I had stop them & were thankful to God for saving my life. What a relief...!!!!!!

From then, making french fries always reminds me of this incidence and makes me behave careful. 

© 2015 Divya Madhale


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on April 18, 2015
Last Updated on April 18, 2015

Author

Divya Madhale
Divya Madhale

Navi Mumbai, Kharghar, India