Spreading The Disease

Spreading The Disease

A Poem by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
"

The sobering effects of alcoholism

"

  

It was a nightly routine

For a young boy with dreams

Door slamming, playtime ending

All the sudden I wasn’t Superman

With booze on his breath

And a belt in his hand.

 

Before I’d sleep I’d pray

I would have the strength to survive

And be a man unlike him.

 

Spreading the disease

It is him, is it me

Spreading the disease

I need the cure, help me please.

 

It was a daily routine

Living my life in clouded denial

Downing whiskey for recreation

Till a night of flashing blue lights

With my son on life support

I sobered up by his side.

 

Forgoing sleep I just prayed

He would make it through the night

So he can grow up not like me.

 

Spreading the disease

That is me, please not him

Spreading the disease

I lost the cure, help me please.

 

It was a constant routine

Partying up in a college atmosphere

Drinking games till the sun came up

Then came the morning he never woke up

When the tearful call came I knew

I passed on my sickness

 

Forever sleeping I just prayed

God would not forsake him

For the mistakes I made.

 

Spreading the disease

I passed it on, what have I done

Spreading the disease

The only cure came at a price.

 

© 2009 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


Author's Note

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The sobering reality of alcoholism and how it can be passed on to the children

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very powerful message here, I am sure many can relate even if they don't want to admit it! I love poetry that has a hidden meaning, that has truth and provides a relation to someone, I know many who have a problem in drinking my father had one and thank God to this day he is a very sober man for the past 10 years. I hope this can help someone and help then wake up before it's too late!! Amazing, and well done.

;-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This cuts deep with me, I grew up with alcoholism and it's effects are enormous on the people having to live with it. So raw, thank you so much for writing this. Hopefully it will make people think x

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This was hard hitting-
Alcoholism has made a mess of many peoples lives. I think you would be hard pressed to find a person whose life hasn't been touched by this touchy subject. Very Brave of you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

"It's is him, is it me" -- Take away the " 's "

Other then that, it's perfect and really does touch a point.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This piece will really make you think about the effects alcholism can have on your family. Thank you so much for posting it. Maybe there is someone who is reading this and it can change their mind.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Reality bites, doesn't it? What is amazing to me is that some parents never drank, but all there children are acholics. I know I am one of them, and my brothers and sisters are also. I have to watch my drinking or it will soar to new heights, I have four children, two which are acholics, because I never knew better and two still in the process. But when liquor hits their mouth, so does my hand. I say to them all the time, "it is a sickness and not your fault, you must stay away from it," but they still in that rebellion stage. It is witchcraft, that is all it is. Caught in the spell, a spell that will continue for generations until someone is willing enough to break the stronghold it has on the family. It took one to bring the curse, it will take one to get rid of it. May he will surface in the life of you and yours', and mine very soon.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Damn.... that is really eye opening. To see alcoholism as a sickness is so right, because a sickness eats at you and can be passed on. I don't know any alcoholics, I've never had even a sip of anything, and I hang with people who don't do it either. So I consider myself very lucky. But there are those people who sadly have this in their lives or someone in their family. It was kind of hard to read this, because it's so real.

"It was a constant routine
Partying up in a college atmosphere
Drinking games till the sun came up
Then came the morning he never woke up"

Saddening, sobering, emotional. Amazing write.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

So sad. The procession was perfect and the tone deeply depressing. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow this is a heart breaking piece. I have tried for so many years to not drink alot because I know first hand growing up the affects of alcoholism. This piece was so dead on of the gene or habits passed from one child to another. So many times adults forget that they are the role models for kids. Chances are if your kids see you in certain behaviors then your children are raised with the same traits and think it is ok. Abuse most of the time surrounds alcoholics. I am never really sure why. I just know when you are an adult you realize it. So sad the tragedy you have written about. I hope this will be a wake up call for anyone who needs help to seek it. Excellent Job.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Bravo.. great fight in writing towards one of the most common and missed abuses on this planet! Because alcohol is a social drink (in moderation).. and there is no clear amount that deems it as abusive.. it is so hard to fight this disease that is passed from generation to generation. This was abused in our household growing up with our mother.. gladly I went through a small bout of it in high school.. binge drank a couple of times in early twenties (never around children) but today 1 or 2 drinks will almost put me on the floor! I am so hopeful that this does not carry on.. and as far as my brother and sister are concerned I can not evaluate how this has affected them.. or if they carry the problem in their homes... I remain hopeful it does not. It is all around and so many do not even know they have an issue.. drinking 3 beers nightly can be a problem if you feel like you have to have it.. I am not a beer drinker.. I like VEX or wine.. on special occassions although in the summer I might drink once or twice a week but just 1 or 2 and I do not feel like I have to have it (usually when having a BBQ). Love the meaning and passion you put into this one.. who knows maybe this will hit home with 1 or 2 people where it might make a difference.. thank you so much for sharing! =)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Bud
This is a subject I know all too well, my friend. Raised in it. Have partaken in it...a sister in it. The list goes on. It is one of those things that sneaks up a sinks it's nasty teeth into us long before it is known or before any of the damage done can be seen. This is a sobering write that makes one have a reality check. Another Outstanding write, Dale. This is an emotional read as well. Bravo!

It was a constant routine
Partying up in a college atmosphere
Drinking games till the sun came up
Then came the morning he never woke up
When the tearful call came I knew
I passed on my sickness

This was the hardest hitting lines for me...scary thought. Passing it on...really scary thought. Thanks for sharing this Profound dose of reality.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 4 people found this review constructive.


5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1292 Views
50 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on July 3, 2009
Last Updated on July 3, 2009

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..