The Calcified Heart

The Calcified Heart

A Poem by Daniel Malone

My fondest memories exist in hypotheticals,
like the ones where I reject you.
Fabricating improbable futures,
I watch you crawl.

Ashamed of how petty I've become,
for now, while the wound festers.
Strive for ascension,
after the bittersweet fall.

Delusions are grand, right?
I'd rather pretend.
With the proper focus,
I can weave an intricate web.

I'm fine...
I'M FINE.
I promise I'm fine.
Heart calcified by the voice in my head.

I'm no more convinced than you.
I just want it easy.
The leisure of hatred.
Denying the burn.

So many burdens.
Nowhere to turn.
Why is it she,
is my only concern?

© 2013 Daniel Malone


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful!! Each one of your poems is so different from the previous. This seems very honest, almost as if you were giving the reader a a very private glimpse into your own heart (possibly)...I really like the repetition and capitalization in "I'm fine... I'M FINE. I promise I'm fine." It an interesting change of rhythm. Ending with a question is really effective here, it made me read the poem 2 more times. I wanted to find the answer to the question in your verses. Very well done!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you!



Reviews

This is an interesting piece . I like the introspective conversation, almost protesting with oneself. This is classic self-delusion as a defence mechanism. I`m not sure I find much poeticism - I think, maybe, that the use of capitals on most lines (except at the start of actual sentences) detracts from the impact. P.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the input!
Sheeesh mate, you make me work hard at denying that this monumental and cleverly worded space I just read is a totally new experience in my life pertaining to some so close to me. Brilliant word conveyance. So close to home it makes me wince.
Don't ever stop writing Daniel your so very talented. Palpable angst.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Beautiful!! Each one of your poems is so different from the previous. This seems very honest, almost as if you were giving the reader a a very private glimpse into your own heart (possibly)...I really like the repetition and capitalization in "I'm fine... I'M FINE. I promise I'm fine." It an interesting change of rhythm. Ending with a question is really effective here, it made me read the poem 2 more times. I wanted to find the answer to the question in your verses. Very well done!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Really enjoyed this one. The opening stanza was strong and powerful, setting the stage for a write that did not disappoint. "Delusions are grand, right?"--love this line; it speaks so fiercely to the core of the piece in general. Nicely written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
wow, impressive writing. glad you reviewed one of mine and led me to your pages, for i feel this down to the bone and love your style. your words stream like anthems here...awesome write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much! That's what is nice about this community. I was led to your writing by reading .. read more
quinfinn

11 Years Ago

i will be looking at more of your writes, rest assured. you're welcome!
"Ashamed of how petty I've become,
for now, while the wound festers.
Strive for ascension,
after the bittersweet fall."
I'm starting to like your poetry a lot for I just stumbled on your unique writes today...
Wow
Keep penning...:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Glad you enjoyed it. I also am just today familiarizing myself with your work. Praise from a writer .. read more
Sami Khalil

11 Years Ago

Thank you kind , sir for the compliment . I will take that to heart . You write real good and I tell.. read more
denial is always easier for now, but in the end...it really burns...

do we rise from the ashes like a phoenix? that is the question.

i like the twists and turns of this poem--
and yes, the ending...and how with everything that is going on in our lives, we focus in one spot...on that relationship that isn't working.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Amazing write and excellent read. Refined use of the mighty pen.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Thank you!!!
The real pain screams from this poem, my friend. As you go through the different emotions, wounding yourself even more than maybe she did, you come to the end asking why is she your only concern. The answer, in my opinion, is because it is difficult to be the one swept out of someone's life like so much gutter trash.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Malone

11 Years Ago

Very true. Thank you for reading!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

328 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 27, 2013
Last Updated on March 27, 2013
Tags: poetry, love, loss

Author

Daniel Malone
Daniel Malone

Enon, OH



About
I'm a late 20's guy who has accomplished nothing other than being a father. I've always immersed myself in the arts, be it music, literature, or film. I'm a song-writer, vocalist, keyboardist, and dru.. more..

Writing
Germ Germ

A Poem by Daniel Malone



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Marked Marked

A Poem by Baby Ricochet