Kara Leighman

Kara Leighman

A Story by Joe Kaufeld
"

Kara Leighman is a police detective, one of the best. As she gets closer to the perpetrator, damage will ensue.

"

   Kara Leighman glanced at the clock and sighed. At four-thirty in the morning, most people would be home in bed. Her head throbbed with exhaustion as she turned back to pore over the countless charts and video logs of the most recent of the White Card thefts. These thefts had been going on for months, and yet Ms. Leighman and her dedicated team of eight could not catch the perpetrator. Every White Card theft had no signs of forced entry, no alarms tripped and in every case a single white business card had been laid where the item had been stolen from. Every card had the same inscription on it. A silver smiley face with horns dominated the left side and the words, "Thank you and Have a Nice Day" were on the right.
    The latest one had happened merely fourteen hours before and they were already stuck. No leads ever checked out, there were never any witnesses, and the video footage was always clean.
Kara looked up at her equally exhausted team and said bitterly, "All right guys, we can't get any more work done now. I want to see everybody here at one tomorrow, understood?" A chorus of groans and affirmatives were the reply.
    As she made her way home through the darkness, Kara reflected on the history of the White Card thefts. They had started sixteen months ago and only targeted jewelry stores and banks. The things that were taken were always easily liquidatable. This made the items incredibly hard to track. Kara sighed to the darkness and prepared for a restless night's sleep.
    As usual, her team arrived on time. Kara waved them into the small meeting room they used for discussions. "Okay everybody, I hope you had a good sleep because today we are going to the scene of the crime." She glanced down at her notes, then read aloud.
   "Brennaman's Jewelers, in business since 1948, has a very large customer base, one of the best security systems money can buy, and -- yes?" she asked an upraised hand.
    "Which one?" the upraised hand asked. It belonged to Paul, her security expert.
    "Uh, I don't see it here..." Kara flipped through a couple of pages. "Oh wait, it's the DigiSense 412."
    "The DigiSense? No wonder their stuff got stolen," he scoffed. She kept going as if she hadn't heard him.
    "They've never been hit with a White Card before, so we're going to go check it out. It's fifteen minutes away from here, and here's the address." She paused. "Any questions? Okay, let's hit the road."
    Seventeen minutes later, the nine person group entered Brennaman's Jewelers and looked around. Kara saw three individual hanging cameras and at least one thermal sensor. A person who obviously needed a gym bustled up behind the counter and inquired about their needs. Kara spoke for the group. "We're the team investigating the White Card thefts. We would like to speak to the owner. Is he around?"
    He replied immediately. "Oh yes, he's around. In fact, I am he!" The man was in his late forties, early fifties, and quite jovial, despite having been robbed of a little more than fifty thousand dollars worth of merchandise. "How may I help you?" Kara gave him an odd look and continued.

   "We're looking for things that aren't on the charts. Locations of things that were stolen, where they were kept when they're on display. Things like that. Capisce?"
    "Well, the items in question were taken from all over the store. Every case had at least one thing missing. As for where I keep them when they're not on display, that one's easy. My merchandise is either in the cases or in a safe in the back," he answered.
    "Was anything from the safe missing?" she asked him.
    "Not at all," he replied.
    Turning to the rest of the group, she checked to see if they were doing their jobs. Her sensor tech and security man were huddled around a camera feed, two others were checking over the safe, three looked over the list of things stolen, and the last person was taking notes of Kara's conversation.
    "Okay guys, do you have everything you need? Let's go." Once again, the nine person crew piled into their respective cars and headed back to the temporary headquarters building. After three hours of unproductive work, Kara's sensor tech, Nadia, motioned her over.
    "I found something you might want to take a look at," she said breathlessly. Once Kara could see Nadia's computer screen, she realized they might have finally gotten a break. Amid the soothing blues and purples of the image the thermal sensor had recorded, a faint yellow and orange figure burned in the middle of the screen as it bent over one of the display cases.
    "Is that what I think it is?" Nadia asked.
    "I think it might be..." Kara's voice trailed off as she studied the footage. Then she stood up and addressed the team.
    "Okay guys, I think we might have just gotten our first real break. The thermal sensor at Brennaman's picked up a faint human outline during the time of the theft. Nadia and Paul -- go back to Brennaman's and see if there's any more information you can get. Oliver -- call some of your informants and ask nicely if they know anything new about this, since we have something to base it against. Rest of you -- keep working on what you've got."
    Two very long and exhausting days later, Oliver reported back to her. "I found out that the perp left Brennaman's at about 3:40 in the morning and went immediately to an all night bank at 34th and Rutledge. From there, I went ahead and talked to the bank myself. They told me that the perp put something into a safety deposit box, number 1427. Should we put a watch on that box?"
    "No, let's just wait. Now we know where he's going, we can keep an eye on 'im. Anything else?"
    "Yeah, the staff didn't notice alot about the thief, but the one major thing they did remember is that our thief is not a he. It's a she."
    Kara's eyebrows rose in wonder and surprise. That was certainly an unexpected twist. "I will have to dwell on this..." she said contemplatively. She went to her office and closed the door. Sitting in her comfy chair, she thought about what to do. Suddenly, Kara knew the answer to that question. She picked up a brown briefcase from beside her desk and ran her hands over the aged leather. After checking its precious contents, she walked out of her office. She walked over to the computer hub that her staff used and looked it over, putting the briefcase down as she did so. Leaving it, she walked to the door.
    "I'll be right back. Everybody stay here, all right?" A chorus of affirmatives met her ears. She walked to her car, drove three blocks down the street, parked, got out, and pushed a button. She was almost knocked off her feet as the shock wave from the building that used to house her team blew outward. From there, she got back in her car, drove to the corner of 34th and Rutledge, got out, and entered a building. After a few minutes of talking, Kara Leighman smiled to herself as she pushed a key into box 1427.

© 2009 Joe Kaufeld


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is good, have I already read this?

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
1 Review
Added on March 8, 2009

Author

Joe Kaufeld
Joe Kaufeld

Fort Wayne, IN



About
I am young. I am learning. I am complicated. Need I say more? I'm Joe -- one of many average joes in the world. I'm not going to tell you much more than that, simply because then you have nothing to .. more..

Writing