Special

Special

A Story by Elyse Maxwell

"Before I even looked in the rearview mirror I knew he was there. He was sitting casually, watching my face in the mirror. He smiled but his eyes remained cold. Although I had never seen him before he was instantly familiar to me.

He had been watching me for the past two weeks.
I had felt his presence. Watching me on my way home from work, on my way out to meet my friends, and through my bedroom window as I lay next to my boyfriend.

He could have made his move at any time, but he waited until I was alone.

There was no hope of escape so I tried to appear brave. I knew it was pointless. He could smell the cold sweat beading on my skin, and hear my heart beating.

I broke my concentration on him and tried to focus on the dashed white lines as they appeared in my headlights.

I knew it wouldn't be long.

I took a deep breath and spoke for the first time that night. 'I just have one question... why did you wait until now? I know you wouldn't have had any trouble before... even with others around..."

I heard a faint swish of cloth when he leaned forward. His face was beside my ear.
My body went rigid when I felt his breath on my neck. My knuckles turned white from the grip on the steering wheel.
He reached around the seat over my left shoulder and trailed his fingers across my collar bone.
He let out a small laugh then spoke the only words I had ever heard from him. 'You're special.'

In that moment I became calm. I released my hold on the wheel as he brought his mouth to my throat.

The road turned sharply and my car flipped into a ditch.

When the authorities found the wreck they issued a statement claiming I had died - my remains indiscernible from the charred vehicle."

"Well... obviously they were wrong. I mean... you're here now"

"Yes. I am."

"Oh. I guess I know why... But why did you take all this time to get me alone? Why did you take the time to tell me your story? Like you said... I'm sure it wouldn't have been hard to get me before..."

"Because. You're special... You're to be my first"

© 2008 Elyse Maxwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
MY
Very well written. . Cant help wondering: whats next!

Posted 16 Years Ago


Ooh...very good piece. I'm intrigued...I want more. Will there be any more? Even alone, it works. It's an interesting twist at the end...I hadn't even noticed the opening quotes before so I was even more surprised. This is brilliant writing. You're very good at your words. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


This was well written and intriguing. I can see your influence by Stephanie Meyer too. At first I thought it was a rape scene, then a vampire story which I could only confirm by rereading the last few lines. I like the closing line of 'You're special' and then leading the reader to the conclusion that he is a vampire.
My only concern was the end conversation which I couldn't tell who speaking and it took away from the effect. I suggest adding 'he said' to the first paragraph. (if it was him talking.)

Welcome to the site! We is friends

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 18, 2008
Last Updated on June 18, 2008

Author

Elyse Maxwell
Elyse Maxwell

peterborough, Canada



About
I guess you've already figured out my name (Elyse for those of you who need reassurance). As for the rest... I'm 23 and am a graphic designer (professional). I am also a writer (side projects). I'm .. more..