Taking Off the Mask of Pretense (2)

Taking Off the Mask of Pretense (2)

A Story by Carole
"

This is a piece for a Christian Devotional Book that will contain pieces about "Getting Real." Sort of an "in your face" sort of thing. Tell me what you think.

"

 

Taking Off the Mask of Pretense


You know, I can't remember the exact time and moment when God began dealing with me about being "Real" and "Taking off the Mask of Pretense."  I could run with the big dogs.  I was a master chameleon. The best of the best.  I knew my traits and I knew them well.  I could change personalities in a moments notice.  I was whatever people wanted me to be:  The Classic People Pleaser.  If they were rich, I could play the snob.  If they were having a pity party, I could join in and gravel in the dirt with simple ease.  If they were smart and intelligent, I could pretend I knew what they were talking about.  Joke telling was a cinch.  I laughed along with the rest of the crowd whether I knew the meaning of the joke or not.  After all, I could pretend. God forbid should I sit there with a blank stare on my face and say, "I don't understand!"  They would think I was the stupidest person on the planet...I hate to say it, but to be honest, I had become a "Fake."  Oh, I didn't do it on purpose.  It just happened.   

 

I was so afraid of being "Me."  I was petrified that if people really KNEW me, they wouldn't like me or accept me.  When God started dealing with me about "Taking off the Mask," letting down my guard and being myself, I was ready.  It was way, way too much work trying to be what "I thought" everyone wanted or expected me to be.  Whenever I got in a situation where I had to "Play the Game of Pretense," I quickly grew weary, not to mention exhausted .  Every where I turned, I saw the same old thing.  "Fakiness" & "Pretense!"..."Fakiness" & "Pretense!" Striving to be something that quite simply, wasn't. I had finally had ENOUGH!   I had begun experiencing a holy dissatisfaction; the discontentment that comes upon us when God is getting ready to bring a change into our lives.

There were so many unspoken rules, even in church.  "You shop where?  Well, I would never think of shopping in that store.  It's not the "IN" store.  You live WHERE?  You do KNOW that is not the PRESTIGIOUS part of town, don't you?"  Very often, not a word had to be spoken.  You knew what what they were thinking.  You could read it on their faces through their facial expression or by their gestures as they gave you the "EYE" and looked you all over from your head to your toes with a look of disapproval and subtle disgust.  You know the look!

A glorious day of transformation happened the day I began taking steps towards being "Me" regardless of the sneers and lofty looks!  FREEDOM had come.  Oh, it wasn't easy, but I DID IT with God's strength.  The STRIVING has ceased. I made a steadfast determination to be myself wherever I go and no matter what kind of people I am with.  If anyone asks me where I live, I answer confidently.  If asked where I bought something I am wearing, whether from Walmart or Tar(jay) or another store I frequent, I tell them "Walmart"..."Tar(jay)!" etc.  I am no longer worried about what they will think of me.  My self worth isn't wrapped up in where I live or where I shop.  It is in Christ

I have more peace now than I EVER thought possible.  If people like me, Praise the Lord!  If they don't, Praise the Lord anyway!  Some will.  Some won't.  It's all a part of life.  The PEACE that comes with being ourselves is incredible.  Did you hear that pin drop?

© 2009 Carole


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a �soapbox� topic of mine and I loved it!

Peer pressure starts at a very young age in today�s so called intellectually aware and astute society. And, once culturally brainwashed into this ideology, the hardest person to find is ourselves.

It is great to read �awakenings� of the inner soul; which you concisely and poignantly addressed, and; �When the epiphany finally hit..� said it all!

The freedom that accompanies these spiritual self moments is mind blowing and makes us kick ourselves for not feeling this way sooner.

Your story also reminded me of a saying my Granny used to quote at my Granddad ;

�It�s better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it!�

A brilliantly presented, written and thought provoking story.

God�s Blessing
Phillozofee

Posted 17 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a �soapbox� topic of mine and I loved it!

Peer pressure starts at a very young age in today�s so called intellectually aware and astute society. And, once culturally brainwashed into this ideology, the hardest person to find is ourselves.

It is great to read �awakenings� of the inner soul; which you concisely and poignantly addressed, and; �When the epiphany finally hit..� said it all!

The freedom that accompanies these spiritual self moments is mind blowing and makes us kick ourselves for not feeling this way sooner.

Your story also reminded me of a saying my Granny used to quote at my Granddad ;

�It�s better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it!�

A brilliantly presented, written and thought provoking story.

God�s Blessing
Phillozofee

Posted 17 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.

Funny as hell because I wrote my poem Cuttlefish about the person you used to be! Please read it. lol I really like that you have made THIS change though!!! This was just great.

Posted 17 Years Ago


7 of 7 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

413 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on January 1, 2009

Author

Carole
Carole

Rio Rancho, NM



About
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore... And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..