The Awakening

The Awakening

A Story by Breanna Wilson
"

A student realizes that she could fail and ruin her life if she continues her lifestyle that she's living now.

"
I pack my things up one by one. I hope no one saw that. I'm Alicia Matthews;a thief,player and cheater;and they'll never catch me. I wasn't always like this. Before my little brother died, I was a goody-two-shoes. I had straight A's,was on the honor student and I cried every time I thought I was doing something wrong.I was a wimp. That was in ninth grade. I have eighty's now in the grade book,but I never earned those myself. Most of those answers are from the boy who sits in front of me in every class except Chemistry. In return, I let him kiss me and call me his girlfriend. He's new so he doesn't know yet. He doesn't know that I have eight more who I use the same way like used tissue. I push the stolen pens and notebooks into my bag. I always carry this bag. There are hundreds of dollars in here. I stole every single dollar. There is no way I'm giving it back. My best friend,Christopher Walkins, kiss both of my cheeks in greeting. I do the same. He is British and it's just one of the things that they do there. I shrugged when he told me about it. Whatever. I smile as he starts to sing Louis Gold's song Stratosphere. I love that song. I am an artist and he's a singer. We are the Arts duo. I link my arm in his and begin to walk down the hall with him. I can't believe this. I am so lucky to have this life. Chris turns and looks at me and without another word...He walks away from me,muttering about "Arses don't even realize that I feel different about them." I'll ask him what that was about that later. Maybe he's in love with someone.
Three months later
I can't believe this....No...No....NO...Why....He's dead...It's all my fault.
I was stealing an electric razor,ipod,mp3 player and Beats headphones when one of the guys that was checking me out the day before started to make sexist comments. I told him to bugger off. Christopher smiled and told me that it was a good one. The man frowned and got mad. He pulled a knife and pressed it against Christopher's neck. I was crying as I begged him to stop. He just laughed and stabbed my Christopher's neck over and over and over again. I was screaming and I cut him up with the razor's blades. 
I hid my stolen items just as the cops came. I was arrested on assault charges and because I apparently caused 'unnecessary defensive methods to an otherwise peaceful civilian'. I handed them the knife that the man had stabbed Christopher with and because I lied about my age,I was let go of. The man is in jail for killing a minor and allegedly attacking another minor.
It's all my fault. He had went to the store with me because he heard about my grades dropping-they're in the twenty's now- and wanted to stop me from stealing so I wouldn't get in even more trouble. Now he died trying to help me,just like my older brother. He was trying to stop me from selling stolen car parts on the freeway. I didn't listen and when he walked next to me on the freeway,he was hit by a car. He died two days later in the hospital. My mom committed suicide because of this. My dad hates me for killing his favorite child.
That's why I became bad. I need to change. For Christopher,for my dad,for my mom and for my brother. And most importantly...I need to change for me.

I walk into the bathroom and brush my hair a bit. I am seventeen so why do I look older? Oh well. I tear up a little as I remember that Christopher would say that too. I shake my head as if to erase the memory and shake the memory out of my head.
I put on button down shirt and pleated black shirt. I put on a little makeup and paint my nails black. I'm going to get a job so I can start to earn my pay to make sure I never feel the need to steal ever again. 
I ace the interview and head to my school so I can sign up for tutoring in every subject except marketing, music and art class. Chris would do duets with me in music. Turns out that I can sing. I love school,but I wish I could just understand the material.
I hide behind the book case when I see him. It's one of my exes that I used. I used to bully him until Chris died. Now everyone in school thinks that I'm not only a bully,but also a murderer. People are terrified of me and they have a right to be. I just hope that I can change my ways before the final exam next week Friday. I hope that THE AWAKENING came in time.
(A/N:There may be a sequel.Don't know yet.)

© 2015 Breanna Wilson


Author's Note

Breanna Wilson
What do you guys think for my first short story on here? Criticism is appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 12, 2015
Last Updated on May 12, 2015
Tags: coming of age, mistakes, realization, high school, boy trouble, confusion

Author

Breanna Wilson
Breanna Wilson

Albany, NY



About
I am a young writer who has just starting writing and would love to get better. more..

Writing