Push and Shove

Push and Shove

A Story by Ruminating Archaeologist
"

Dez just wants to find someone who will both accept her and lift her up without dropping her. As she starts her senior year, she begins to feel like everthing's going to crap.

"
"I don't want to be here anymore." I whined, shoving myself through the doors into the crisp summer evening and the too-bright world. "Have to get out, get out, get out, get out…" My lips muttered as my shoes struck the pavement in a quick beat, about a little faster than the bass drum in the song "Seven Nation Army".
And then I started running. Out of the town, past the shops and the movie theater. Past the college and past the mall and over the railroad tracks. My legs burned with every push of my feet over the ground.
I didn't stop for a while, until I passed the golf courses and nearly tripped over a hole in the grassy, hill-mapped field that lay behind it. I came to a standstill, bent over clutching my side, and put my hands on the back of my head. My heart beat a strong, constant thumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthump.
When my heartbeat returned to a relatively normal speed, and my breathing wasn't labored, I fell back and laid in the grass of the hill. Blue skies, spattered with clouds, was spread out above me. I groaned and squeezed my eyes shut until I saw red. I hate everything.

Five months ago.

I slammed my hand down on my alarm clock to cut off the incessant beeping, and heard a crunch.
"Dangit…" I groaned, opening my eyes wearily and noticing the giant crack. I cursed again and sat up, rubbing my face. The sun was coming up. It was the first day of my senior year of high school. Oh boy.
I dragged myself out of bed, and began to get ready for the day. After most of my daily duties were done, I got dressed roughly. Just as I tugged my favorite burgundy sweater over my thin hips, I tugged several strands off of it.
"What the…" The ends were unraveling. "You've got to be kidding me…" Further inspection told me it must have caught on something and torn. I pulled a few strands out, wincing at the damage, and decided screw it all, I'll wear it anyway. I grabbed my keys, my backpack of supplies, and trekked downstairs.
I heard the clink of a fork on a plate, coming from the dining room, which I assumed was my dad, but…there was something different. I heard muttering just as I got to the bottom step, and looked into the room at my left.
Mom and dad were having breakfast together. Since when did they talk? When they noticed me standing there, aloof, they stopped talking. I stared, appalled, but then noticed the papers between them.
From where I was standing, I could make out the word "divorce". I staggered in place.
"Des-" Dad began.
"You're getting a divorce?" I shouldn't have been surprised. Why was I so shocked? Mom and dad had been silently civil. They hadn't talked to each other for a long while. I figured this would eventually happen, but…for them to suddenly get a divorce…
Dad said nothing, while Mom waved me over. "Honey, come sit down for a minute, so we can talk."
I opened my mouth and shut it again. I shook my head and looked at my watch. Talk? No. No, I don't want to…talk. Talk? "I've got to get to school." I muttered, walking backwards towards the door, almost sprinting. "I've got to go."
"Desir-" I heard most of my name shouted as I leapt outside and slammed the door closed behind me. I walked to my car, parked on the street, and got inside. I cranked up the stereo loud and drove to school.

© 2012 Ruminating Archaeologist


Author's Note

Ruminating Archaeologist
In this I wanted to get out some stuff that I've been feeling...but who knows when I'll continue it. Thought I'd let you take a read, though. Tell me what you think.

same narrator character as here-> http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/bunkeatpotatoes/998548/
pic by 5pianos on deviantart http://5pianos.deviantart.com/art/when-time-goes-by-89380370?q=boost%3Apopular%20in%3Aphotography%2Fconceptual%20sweater&qo=6

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
Added on September 16, 2012
Last Updated on September 16, 2012
Tags: push, and, shove, push and, and shove, push and shove, depression

Author

Ruminating Archaeologist
Ruminating Archaeologist

Paradoxical Cerebrum, IN



About
Since 8th grade, I've been writing and I honestly can say I've improved. My deviant art account is normally where I'm stationed, and I use it frequently. I also have a fanfiction.net account, and I'm .. more..

Writing