My friend

My friend

A Story by Susan 🦋
"

Remembering a friend.

"


I've heard it said that true love is hard to find, and true friendship even harder. I have come to realize just how true those words are. The sun is shining and it's a beautiful day. My garden is filled with blooms and blossoms, and the critters are scurrying about. It's a perfect day in Wisconsin. Almost perfect, my best friend Norbert passed away five years ago today.
 A very unlikely friendship from the beginning, Norbert lived alone and was physically disabled and medically compromised. A chance meeting developed into the sweetest of friendships. Norbert was a gifted singer and musician. Norbert sang with various church groups and was quite popular. He loved to play his guitar. Norbert had a rock-solid faith in his Savior. Norbert considered himself blessed.
The reality was his body was betraying him. Nothing came easy and Norbert quietly suffered for many years. I eventually took over the role of medical guardian. We had made the decision Norbert would be moving into an assisted living home.
His medical and disabilities were just too complex to be managed safely anymore. Norbert was looking forward to meeting new people. I had his room decorated to perfection. Norbert needed only one more thing completed before moving in. He had to have a complete physical and medical work-up at the hospital. He was taken by ambulance and admitted to the hospital. 
The tests were performed, and he was scheduled to stay in the hospital the following day. We spent that day together in anticipation of the next day's move. As evening approached, I had to leave. It was my youngest son's high school graduation. I assured Norbert I would return first thing in the morning. Norbert smiled and said, "you've been the best friend I've ever had." I promptly responded, "you're a dork!". He grabbed my hand again and said, " I'm being serious," to which I responded, " we have been good friends to each other, see you in the morning." 
Norbert died a half-hour after I left and took a piece of my soul with him. The arrangements and funeral are all a blur in my memory. Norbert was cheated in this life, yet never felt that way. 
People used to tell me how wonderful I was for taking care of him. People often only saw his disabilities as a burden to me. Nothing could be further from the truth. Norbert had an amazing ability to listen. He was a constant and steady support to me. Norbert never let a day pass without checking in on me. Norbert loved that I was learning how to write poetry. He always encouraged me. He saw me and accepted me. Just me, his friend. Norbert blessed my life, and he is missed terribly. 
Shortly after his death, he appeared to me in a dream.  My friend stood before me fully restored in health and body. He was radiant and smiling.  My friend, eternally, singing to Jesus Christ his Savior. THIS is the image replaced in my mind now. An unlikely beautiful friendship indeed!  You are missed dear friend.

© 2023 Susan 🦋


Author's Note

Susan 🦋
Just reflecting a bit today.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A beautiful and heartfelt testament... not only to Norbert but to you as well, Susan. I'm sorry for your physical and emotional loss, but spiritually you've gained and that might be the most important aspect of life.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Susan 🦋

2 Years Ago

Thank you kindly for taking the time to read my story.Your kind words are appreciated ☺️
True friends Can be away from each other for 20 years and the minute they meet up again it’s as if Time had never passed they’re hard to fine I can count all of mine on one hand

Posted 2 Years Ago


Susan 🦋

2 Years Ago

So true. Lucky for me, I knew how blessed I was.... the hard part is the living without now.
Considering what you say of his religious dedication, except for the specs, Norbert's picture radiates the Christian countenance and purity of a character straight from the Bible.
Having been formerly privileged to hear recordings of Norbert's guitar prowess and singing voice, I can attest to his love of music and admirable skill levels, thereof.
Rare it is for a man and woman to love one another and share such a close, beautifully platonic relationship, as yours and Norbert's was … it's no wonder you miss him and your many meaningful moments together.
The final, "I love you's," exchanged with one another before Norbert's final breath give testament to a lasting, eternally bonded relationship.

Bless you both the good fortune you shared, and Norbert's continued memory in your heart.
A literarily perfect composition, told in a sincerely and genuinely felt way only You could have.

Thank you, Dear Susan, for sharing yours and Norbert's unforgettable, soul-touching, story! ⁓ Richard 🙏

Posted 2 Years Ago


Susan 🦋

2 Years Ago

Thank you Richard for your kind words. With all of your musical talents, I believe you two would hav.. read more
Richard🖌

2 Years Ago

The windchimes, Norbert's voice … what a lovely thought! 🙏
I usually don't read stories here, but saw the title and description and had to this time.

This really moved me....you gave so much joy to each other....and it was good that he could tell you what he did before he passed...
When my best friend Paula died in a fire in Texas....my last memory of her was us talking on the phone...and before hanging up....telling each other "I love you"'' I am so glad those were our last words to each other...
the friendship you had with Norbert was so special...and he will always be in your heart.

j.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Susan 🦋

2 Years Ago

Thank you Jacob. Your Paula sounds just as wonderful. A beautiful gift. Perhaps, they are both smili.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

I trust that they are, Susan....I trust they are.

j.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2022
Last Updated on January 28, 2023


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


Heaven Heaven

A Poem by lightsong