My friend

My friend

A Story by Susan 🦋
"

Remembering a friend.

"


I've heard it said that true love is hard to find, and true friendship even harder. I have come to realize just how true those words are. The sun is shining and it's a beautiful day. My garden is filled with blooms and blossoms, and the critters are scurrying about. It's a perfect day in Wisconsin. Almost perfect, my best friend Norbert passed away five years ago today.
 A very unlikely friendship from the beginning, Norbert lived alone and was physically disabled and medically compromised. A chance meeting developed into the sweetest of friendships. Norbert was a gifted singer and musician. Norbert sang with various church groups and was quite popular. He loved to play his guitar. Norbert had a rock-solid faith in his Savior. Norbert considered himself blessed.
The reality was his body was betraying him. Nothing came easy and Norbert quietly suffered for many years. I eventually took over the role of medical guardian. We had made the decision Norbert would be moving into an assisted living home.
His medical and disabilities were just too complex to be managed safely anymore. Norbert was looking forward to meeting new people. I had his room decorated to perfection. Norbert needed only one more thing completed before moving in. He had to have a complete physical and medical work-up at the hospital. He was taken by ambulance and admitted to the hospital. 
The tests were performed, and he was scheduled to stay in the hospital the following day. We spent that day together in anticipation of the next day's move. As evening approached, I had to leave. It was my youngest son's high school graduation. I assured Norbert I would return first thing in the morning. Norbert smiled and said, "you've been the best friend I've ever had." I promptly responded, "you're a dork!". He grabbed my hand again and said, " I'm being serious," to which I responded, " we have been good friends to each other, see you in the morning." 
Norbert died a half-hour after I left and took a piece of my soul with him. The arrangements and funeral are all a blur in my memory. Norbert was cheated in this life, yet never felt that way. 
People used to tell me how wonderful I was for taking care of him. People often only saw his disabilities as a burden to me. Nothing could be further from the truth. Norbert had an amazing ability to listen. He was a constant and steady support to me. Norbert never let a day pass without checking in on me. Norbert loved that I was learning how to write poetry. He always encouraged me. He saw me and accepted me. Just me, his friend. Norbert blessed my life, and he is missed terribly. 
Shortly after his death, he appeared to me in a dream.  My friend stood before me fully restored in health and body. He was radiant and smiling.  My friend, eternally, singing to Jesus Christ his Savior. THIS is the image replaced in my mind now. An unlikely beautiful friendship indeed!  You are missed dear friend.

© 2023 Susan 🦋


Author's Note

Susan 🦋
Just reflecting a bit today.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank God for people like you, willing to give of themselves to help others. Norbert was very lucky to have you, and I'm pretty sure your dream was more than just the brain creating fantasies for relaxation. He was there on purpose, showing you his restored, healthy body, and letting you know he was fine. A worthy, inspiring tale this is.

Posted 1 Month Ago


Susan 🦋

1 Month Ago

Aww thank you Samuel! Yes, he was a great friend and very much missed! Thanks for reading😊
Years ago. My grandmother was 94 years old and she didn't want to go to the old folks home. Me and sister took two days each, mother took three to check-in with her. She was blind at the ending. I enjoyed taking care of her. My mother complained to me one day about her three days. I told her. One day. You will wish for the three days to take of dear grandpa. She cried the most at my grandmother funeral. I understand the story dear Susan. I liked he appeared for you in a dream. My grandmother stilled whispered to me. You will be okay Johnnie. Thank you for sharing the story. I did appreciate.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Susan 🦋

1 Year Ago

It’s the people in life that matter. It was a blessing to you and your grandmother to have that ti.. read more
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

I agree dear Susan. Love first always. Another family member with baby joined my home. No place to g.. read more
It is rare to find such deep meaningful friendships like this I think. This made me sad-happy Susan. What a true blessing for you and Norbert. So glad you had that time with him and left him with such peace that your were there for him. Thank you for sharing. May your reflections of him continue to be fond.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Susan 🦋

1 Year Ago

Thank you for reading Seriana! Yes, a beautiful friendship indeed :-)
A truly touching reflection on a beautiful friendship. Despite his disabilities he gave so much. Norbert was a true friend to you as you were to him. Those type of friendships are few and far between. Your moving story brought a tear to my eye. I am so sorry for your loss and may Norbert rest in eternal peace. Thank you for sharing the story of your friend with us Susan.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


Susan 🦋

1 Year Ago

Hi Chris, yes, these kinds of friendships do not come along very often. I was so blessed! Thank you .. read more
This took my breath away! I hope and assume this is a true story. It seems he did as much for you as you did for him, and that's beautiful! You are both blessed for opening your hearts to each other. Thank you for making my day more pleasant by my reading and reflecting on this.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Susan 🦋

1 Year Ago

Hi Frankie, yes, true story. A beautiful friendship indeed. Norbert is so missed! But he pops up oft.. read more
Franky

1 Year Ago

You can keep.him around with your pleasant memories. I feel that way about my mom.
Susan 🦋

1 Year Ago

Very nice. Yes, until we meet again. :)
This is a lovely piece of your dear friend. I can tell that they meant a lot to you because of how well you crafted this piece in their honor. He appeared in your dream to let you know that he memory will live on.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Susan 🦋

1 Year Ago

Thank you for reading. He was truly a wonderful friend.
NelliKong

1 Year Ago

You’re welcome
What an incredible story Susan. How lucky he was to have you as a friend. It would make an inspirational film!
Thanks for sharing.
Take care,
Alan

Posted 1 Year Ago


Susan 🦋

1 Year Ago

Thank you Alan... I was the lucky one :-)
Amazing Grace… finding a Place of Peace. Amen

Posted 1 Year Ago


Susan 🦋

1 Year Ago

Thank you Patricia.
Sounds to me like you are the best of best friends. What a wonderful thing you've done. My best friend passed away back in February. He suffered through the horrible experience of brain cancer. We watched as he slowly deteriorated into a vegetative state. He was a great person, teacher, father, and husband to his wife. There won't be another like him. We used to ride our motorcycles down little country roads exploring new territory.
I called us The Mocha Brothers. It's still hard to believe he's gone.
Enjoy those critters skittering about.


Posted 1 Year Ago


Susan 🦋

1 Year Ago

I am truly sorry for your loss! Losing a true friend is just so difficult. I hope the cherished memo.. read more
one half hour after you had left ... dear Susan ..Norbert's story of your friendship brought tears to my heart and soul .. how wonderful of you to remember him in such a way ... your dream was a gift for sure and how marvelous you treasure that image of him .. singing with the Angels ... thank you for sharing your story from your heart to ours ... here at the Cafe'
E.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Susan 🦋

2 Years Ago

Good Morning E! Thank you for reading a sharing your thoughts. Yes, Norbert was truly a great friend.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

410 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2022
Last Updated on January 28, 2023


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic


Let it Snow Let it Snow

A Poem by MsJewel