A new day

A new day

A Chapter by Boosta

Ok, a new day, head a little clearer, the train seems distant and like the conductor is in control, only today, I am the conductor. Just wanted to get that straight, not sure I was in control of anything yesterday. Loosing control is defiantly not something I do often, usually, I maintain at least my emotions if my circumstance is spinning out. Not yesterday.

Great, now Kenny Chesney is playing in my ears via I-pod, “Somewhere in the sun”…reminds me of the best summer ever, the last one. I called this song my “Vacation” as I floated in our backyard pool. Never in a million years did I think this soon after summer I would be alone, no backyard pool, no beautiful trees surrounding me, no mother in law…no husband.

Overnight, ten years gone, again. I did this once before only it was Natalie Embruglia singing “Torn” and it was true of my life and my leaving. This one, Kenny…”Somewhere in the sun” seems like a memory of a better time but really, without the floating and the song, there were not better times.

I guess the better that I remember about Kenny is the summer I was able to spend with my girls and the few friends I keep. The pool, my girls, tanning all of their friends and mine, grilling out and just hanging out. I have always worked, too much really and never really had time to just hang, Kenny reminds me of the time I spent just hanging.

I guess that is what I am supposed to be doing now, hanging, getting well, whatever! I don’t feel like this is hanging, it doesn’t feel like Kenny and does not sound like summer.

Keith Urban, “Days go by” Lexi’s favorite song, I love it too, the carnival in Versailles this summer, which is what I think of first. The swings, the song playing, I look back and see Lexi, Alie and Ashley all with hands in the air, they feel and look like birds. I wish they were birds able to fly alone, instead, they are children and I am the mother and I know, but they don’t, that I am getting ready to change everything. Life will not feel like flying in a minute, right around the corner I am leaving my husband and all of our lives, this will be time number two for the first four girls and the first for Lexi, makes me wish the song never played and that I never thought of them as birds at the carnival. Real life is so hard when you are the leader, if you fall, you get dog piled.

I remember when Mark and I bought the house. I had taken Abby a few years ago to my house I grew up in, the address I will never forget 1825 Chamberry Dr. Olathe, KS. I took her there because I could see that she struggles in her life because she can’t forget or let go. I used to have that problem, probably still do, ok, I do, but I used to let people know. I don’t let people know how hard it is anymore.

I told Abby that I didn’t want her to spend her life the way I did, I spent my life trying to go home to 1825 Chamberry Dr. That is where I lived with my family until my Mom gave me to foster care. I never got to say goodbye to that house and dream of it still today. I told her that even when I was there, things were not good. I had a mother that drank too much a step dad that hated me, sisters and a brother that fought all the time or moved out and didn’t come home as much as I had wished. My sister Sue came but my brother married a psycho and maybe he drank too much or something but he wasn’t my brother that left when he did come home. The point is, 1825 Chamberry was not all great memories, just memories and that’s all. I grew up knowing only 1825 Chamberry as somewhere I never got to leave, I was forced out and took with me all I had left, memories. The memories belong to 1825, which is the only place I know to keep them, in that house so I took the house and all that went with it with me in my life and all of my thoughts.

I wanted to go back when I grew up and fix that house, make it the greatest house on the block full with children and better times. There would be no crying mother, no messes, no brother that wasn’t a brother anymore, no sister that hated my mother coming to visit because she worried about us, not really, I think she said she was worried about us to really make the point she was gone because she was hurt and by saying she was worried or acting worried about us, she could remind my mother she failed her and that is why she married and left.

My sister Katie never did come back, she left and married too. I don’t remember Katie coming back at all. She must have but I don’t recall. We had a pool in that house and a fence. My house I just left had a pool, no fence but a pool. My pool growing up could have been great but like everything my step dad and mother did it was a good idea but never really worked out. There was the pool but it was yucky all around it, the deck and cement were never really finished so you had to walk around muddy, yucky stuff all the time, it all got in the pool and there was never a pool cover, it sat black all winter long and when the spring came, frog eggs and a million frogs and snakes sometimes too.

So when I took Abby to my house, we arrived and there was a young boy, Hispanic, standing outside. The boy and his dad were outside working on a car. I stopped and we both got out. I was excited to see someone home, all of my previous trips through the years consisted of me driving by a million times and sitting in my car, crying my eyes out across the street about things that must only speak to the spirit or soul of a person because there were never words that could come out, just a gut wrenching convulsion of emotion pouring out of my entire body. I never cried hard enough to just be 8 again. Every time, I had to go home and just keep all memories in the house. I never wanted to forget 1825 or how far from my grade school it was or how close to my neighbors or what the trees looked like or how it smelled there. I am 8 each time I go. Not sure why 8, it must have been a good year or something, at least better than the rest.

This time, I get out with my daughter. We ask the boy if we can go into the back yard. I explain to him how excited I am that he is home. I ask him if he lives there, he says yes. I tell him my name is Jen and I grew up there; I introduced him to my daughter and then asked if the pool was still in the back yard. He tells us it is not but I ask if I can see the backyard anyway. He says yes, we all walk back.

I feel like a time machine has taken me back, I am 8 and I am walking into my backyard. Through the new cedar privacy fence I go…there, on the left, that is where my step dad built a little covered wooden shed like thing that he never finished so I used it for my fort. I had secret meetings there, with all of my friends. It was our place, my place, out of the way of everything. We had drinks there, it was home base for about every game we ever played, shelter from the rain but you could still stay there and watch a storm and not get in trouble for being wet…around the corner to the pool…no, there isn’t a pool. I look at Abby and realize I am crying and shaking so bad that the boy asks me if I am ok, I told him….I was 8, I tell Abby I was 8 here, this was where I was 8, I really wanted them to know I really was 8 in this place. I can hardly get the words out and I am not sure they understand what I am trying to say.

I am telling Abby, through my 8 year old eyes, how great this place was, there was Rodney, playing king of the hill on the dirt mound when the pool was being dug out there was Maria, Sandy, Tracy, Cindy, Billy, Robbin, Tuffy…we were all there.

I have to collect myself to speak to the boy and I tell him one day, I want to come back and make the house the best one on the block and put a pool back in the yard and a new fence, I realize as I am speaking with him, through the waves of convulsions, the fence is so damaged, there is very little of it left really. I swear I never noticed it all of the other times I had been there.

I tell Abby, see, I am not 8 and I don’t live here. Please, don’t walk through your life and miss it simply trying to get home to a place you no longer live. I can see that Abby really hangs onto feelings and memories the way I do, she associates everything with a feeling and the location of the feeling. Abby’s 1825 is Belton Missouri, where we lived when I divorced her dad.

I thank the boy, he continues to ask me if I am ok and if there is anything he can do, I tell him thank you, not answering any of his questions, I tell him to remember, please, that I, Jen, was 8 years old in this yard and there was a pool. I thank him a million more times, just moving my mouth trying to keep him and Abby listening to something because I don’t want to leave, I really want to feel 8 again. I can’t if they keep talking and I know I have to leave and I feel 8 leaving and I am panicking with all of my insides. I turn to start walking away…8 is gone but not before passing my fort one last time….8 stayed there, 30 something with children walked through the broken down fence, I look back and miss 8…desperately.

So, I have this great house with this great pool, I tell Abby, our first summer in the house, how things must have come full circle. It’s not 1825 but it is a really nice pool and a great house, one of the nicest in the neighborhood. I want for her to know I am at rest; I want her to be at rest seeing that life, no matter how long it takes, always comes full circle.

Now, the circle will be broken, I am leaving, no pool, no great house, no peace…still trying to go home to 1825? I don’t know, all I know is it doesn’t make sense. This was going to be the place I never moved away from. I guess I thought magic was going to happen because there was a pool and kids and a great house. No, in the house I put my stupid marriage, all of my stuff and my kids. I tried really hard to make it home, in my heart, soul and being. It never really was. I guess I am still not home.

I imagine my address in heaven, if I ever get there, will be 1825 Chamberry dr. everyone will be there but it will be the way it should be and I would be 8 there and it would stay that way forever.

In real life, I leave, just because my end has surfaced, against my own wishes, my will takes over. My will is stronger than I ever thought about being. It’s like a separate thing from me; I am scared, my will is never afraid of anything. My will makes change, which I am very afraid of. My will doesn’t cry, I do, so, my will finds a way and I am out.

Out, that is what I am but I can’t seem to locate my will here in this place I am today. I don’t need to be dog piled; I have to find my will and stand back up and lead the troops to safety. I am not doing a very good job, I can’t find my will easily, it takes everything I can muster to make the girls think I know what I am doing and that I am at perfect peace with it. I don’t’ want them to be afraid.

I remember always waiting for my mother to look like she knew what she was doing, she never did. It made me scared of everything, only inside. On the outside, my will spoke to my mother, it told her she would be ok and so would we. It told her not to be afraid and that I loved her and everything would be ok. My will didn’t cry when my mom didn’t come home at night, it just stayed at home waiting for her to see if there was something she needed; I on the other hand, was terrified. I didn’t want her to just disappear one day, I was afraid she wouldn’t make it so my will cleaned the house and made everything orderly so when she did come home, it would be so nice she wanted to stay and never leave again.

I always started with her bedroom, that way when she came home and went right into her room, it would be a nice place to be that was safe. She would wake up and realize she wanted to stay and then I wouldn’t be afraid anymore. Too bad she never noticed, if she did, she would never have given me to foster care. Thank God for my will, it was not sad to leave my mom or 1825 Chamberry, my will was on a new adventure waiting to see what came next. I went to sleep at night and so did my will and I dreamed of home…1825 Chamberry…8…friends…I cried and still do.

Today, I am looking for my will, I know it is here somewhere or I would still have a pool and a yard and the appearance of the full circle life makes. No, I am here and there is a missing will all of the sudden.

I can’t look to my own children like my mother looked to me, lost, hopeless and afraid. I want my children to know I am strong; I want them to know my will, not me, not completely.

I am on a new journey, I am waiting for my will to lead the way, it has never failed me before, it’s the waiting that is so difficult. I wish I could just plan my will to arrive, right in time before I got scared or hopeless or appeared to be lost…too late, I know I have been exposed…I know it will come back, I will just wait. Tomorrow is a whole new day, I might just wake up and there it is, with a plan to get me out of this mess, out before the dog pile begins…out before the girls notice, I am afraid.
 

Jen's October road

 
Well, all else fails, write a book! Not really, a book? No, just a reminder of these days I hope to see pass.

I guess it happened I am so mad. Mad, I am trying desperately not to hold hands with hurt but it seems like its not working like I want it to. I don’t want to cry, I don’t want to cry…Mad, how do I just keep that one? It’s really not funny; everyone I know thinks I will find a joke at the end of my rant, I really don’t think much is funny right now. I always think something is funny, not today… nothing funny about today.

Here’s the deal, I don’t think today has anything to do with anything. I think today is like the last brick on the scale, one minute it weighs only ten pounds, the next twenty. Either way, it’s not ten again. I wish it were just one brick I could take off to balance the scales again but I just can’t seem to retrace all of the steps to get all that is on the scale off.

37, this is no laughing matter,5 children, nothing to laugh at either, 2 divorces, really not funny. I guess my unlucky number would be 44, that is all of the numbers added but really I would add back 5, 5 is the only number in the equation I like. So my unlucky number is…(I have to use my fingers and can’t type when I am using them so…) it is…39! 39, let’s see if I add three plus nine I am at 12 so I’ll avoid 12 and 39, just to be safe. No, I am not superstitious, I am just keeping my mind busy and just in case I am superstitious, I need to know what to avoid…right? Who cares anyway, I don’t, I can type so I say I do because it is easy to get on paper. If I had to carve it into a cave wall somewhere with a sharp stick, I guess I wouldn’t bother with superstition so I must not really be superstitious.

Oh God, here comes the train, I swear, some days I want to just derail my life, I imagine it like a train, moving so fast and loud and out of control, really the train is only out of control if you are a passenger or an on looker, I guess if you are the conductor there is control. I am not the conductor of this train, I used to be I think, not any more. Well, thinking about the conductor…he only has a plan, a schedule but if there were something that changed the course, how much control over the moving train would he have? I think about as much as I do right now. Just along for the ride or the derailing, whatever!

No, I am not depressed and there is no medication to take to knock this one out. I am not sick in body or mind, just rampaging through files, dusty, old files. How long do you really have to keep banking information anyway? This feels like one of those kinds of things, like an audit. I didn’t keep accurate records and now it’s an audit, of my life…I think I am the one that ordered it though, why would anyone audit themselves? Oh, I see…to clean up mistakes and keep better records?? No, how about I just know the answer to the banking information and get rid of anything I don’t need? Nope, I don’t know the rule so I have it all, in my head.

The dryer keeps buzzing, tumble, buzz, tumble, buzz, stop it all ready, what if the crap really does wrinkle? Oh, then my job I appointed to myself, laundry queen, has been done incorrectly. How am I laundry queen if I have wrinkled clothes to show for myself? Well, the truth is, I think I appointed myself the laundry queen a long time ago because it’s symbolic of what I super want in my life, order, clean, no stains, neatly folded, fresh, ready to wear life! Too bad today the clothes will wrinkle.

I think my dog wants to eat me. I ignored them all day but only Kaiser wants to eat me, Max always just loves me and treats me kind because he knows when I ignore him I am also ignoring myself which makes him pay attention to me. Not my intention but it just works that way with Max; he is my best friend ever! Kaiser is still a baby and needs more than I can give right now. Kaiser is like life, Max is like my brain. Max is my safety, Kaiser is my challenge.

Let me think of something I would rather do today than this. This is a hard one because I am a realist, but…somewhere in my makeup, I still believe. I can’t shake it, I still hear the tiny voice…I am made to believe my maker. I can’t shake it no matter what. He always is there. An everyday miracle that is what I need. My perception of a miracle is something different than his of course, I pray for one, like I want to be Cinderella but I think the every day miracle today just might be that I make it through to another day.

Why can’t it just be clear? Just easy? Ok, really I want to be fine china and not a plate off the shelf from Target, even though the plates I want are at Target, I don’t want to be one…but if I were, I would be RED! Ok, not really, I like the refiners’ fire, how else do you burn out the fillers that clutter the piece of work? You don’t, that is the answer, if you want clarity, you just have to burn out the rest.

In my life, clarity means in my head, well, my being, person, whatever. It is a spiritual thing. I can’t hear if I can’t see and I can’t see if I don’t hear. Whatever the issue, I have to have clarity and the only way I get it or keep it is by fire. This was not my plan by the way; it was just the way I was created.

I feel the train wreck in my head slow down a little at least, this helps. I remind myself that I am not alone, I hear the tiny hope coming back as I type it out frantically. You know, no one in this life is quick to point out their maker. I have to; I can’t believe I am really this alone in this life. How do people even listen to the puke I pour out sometimes? I can’t do it, I have to tell them there is hope and when I tell them, I really mean it. I can’t imagine walking through this life thinking this is it. I can’t imagine that I would trust a person to heal when I already know how much hurt they can cause.

One thing I know for sure is that my maker, God himself, has not left me to my own to navigate through this life. I am thankful to have clarity in my hearing, if I kept following people here or asking for directions, I would be here forever, walking in circles with everyone else. How people do it, I don’t know. I can’t be one of them. I want to be sometimes but the answers they have are like….watering the desert with a bottle of water. I require much more, I am the desert and I need more than one bottle of water.

People here seem like they think one bottle might lead to two and eventually water it all down and things all come together. Not really, by the time you poured your last, you have to go back because the first didn’t make it down deep enough to cause any growth, neither did the last. It has to be a full, steady stream, not one bottle at a time. God is the full steady in my life. People, as hard as they try, with the best of intention, forget to remind me…I have to remind myself. That is what I love about my girls. They remind me, they see and know me and my maker. They give back what I have always given to them, direction, the conductor, the stream…

Not today, they are in need as well. We all have to remind ourselves of what we know to be right and true. This is where it gets hard, to have to tell yourself. Like playing pin the tail on the donkey only the blindfold never comes off, you just keep your hand near the tail to remember there is one but you never see the picture or if you won, you just have to believe in your aim.

I like it when there is someone saying you hit the spot or are at least close. There are no cheerleaders today, just left with trying to believe in my aim. Doubt is contagious, hope seems not to be. No one just “Catches” hope but you will drown in a sea of doubt before you even realize you are wet.

I’m out for today; I am reminded of hope and my maker. I’m fine; tomorrow will be an everyday miracle. I still believe. Much better than when I started! Thank God for whispers…
 


© 2010 Boosta


Author's Note

Boosta
Ignore grammar please. Very rough draft. This is my journal, I will pull it all together to create a book.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

32 Views
Added on February 5, 2009
Last Updated on May 21, 2010


Author

Boosta
Boosta

Olathe, KS



About
I want to publish a book, about life as most of us know it. I want my views to be a unique view into life without reservation. Life, reality and perspective. My story is told with harsh truth, hopeful.. more..

Writing
untitled untitled

A Chapter by Boosta


Jens October Road Jens October Road

A Chapter by Boosta