Foggy

Foggy

A Story by K.

 The white clouds blended softly into the light blue of the sky at the horizon in the distance. Fog hung heavily around the red dirt, tall cacti rising from it like skyscrapers in an ever-growing city. The house seemed to float on the fog like the castle in the clouds you thought God lived in when you were young. It was yellow painted wood, with a black roof and a stone chimney standing tall to the side; a black door and two large windows looking into the living room and the kitchen; the small second story serving as your bedroom loft- the house was exactly as you said it would be when we were kids. It even had my back shed, surrounded by trees and a hammock for two. I closed my eyes and smiled. 

  I walked up to the door, knocking boldly, to have you open it in a flour-covered apron and a bun with hair falling out. The bowl of cake mix- red velvet, our favorite- sitting on her hip, your hand mid-mix, a slight smile spread across your face, before it turned into a surprised look. You dropped the mix and jumped into my arms and our arms wrapped around each other so naturally, like the last time we hugged and held each other was just last night. You smiled and kissed my lips. You asked me why it took me so long, but I didn’t say anything. You brought me in and handed me a hot cup of coffee, like you had expected me to be here. We talked about your painting and how much your last ones have sold for. That’s a lot of money for some paint streaks on a blank canvas, I joked and you laughed. You asked me about my travels, and I described them a little more interesting than they actually were, because to be honest, I was lonely without you. I surprised you with paints from Morocco and you had tears in your eyes as you beamed. We kissed again, drank more coffee and then switched to red wine as the fog faded and the sky turned into shades of red, yellow, orange and purple. I said I had to leave in the morning, I was going to Greenland for the magazine. I told you that you were still the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen and you told me to stop lying. I kissed you one more time at the door then you shut the door and I closed my eyes, reliving it. 

  I opened my eyes and found that I was actually still outside my 1964 Chevy truck, with the paints in my hand, staring at your door, and the fog continued to envelope your house. I got back in my truck and drove back down the road. When I looked back, you had opened your door and looked into the thickening fog at my fading taillights. Maybe next time I would give you the paints I got you 20 years ago. 

© 2014 K.


Author's Note

K.
I don't know how I feel about this one. I've been writing recently and I haven't really like a whole lot of my stuff, so that's why I haven't updated "Crazy" or uploaded anything else. Would love some feedback and hopefully I can get some more stuff written/uploaded soon. Thanks so much y'all!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It was an unexpected ending. I really like it, though there are several typos. I wonder how many times he's done this before. I really love an ending that can go either way - maybe he'll come back and actually talk to her or maybe he'll never knock on the door.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.

10 Years Ago

It's my specialty- unexpected endings, haha. I really appreciate your thoughts. I will go through an.. read more



Reviews

It was an unexpected ending. I really like it, though there are several typos. I wonder how many times he's done this before. I really love an ending that can go either way - maybe he'll come back and actually talk to her or maybe he'll never knock on the door.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.

10 Years Ago

It's my specialty- unexpected endings, haha. I really appreciate your thoughts. I will go through an.. read more
it's pretty good in all honesty Kassie. I would be nice to to see it expanded a little bit more though. I love the title. I have to admit it got me. Thanks for reading Kassie!

-CW

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.

10 Years Ago

Thanks Cody! I will work on expanding it. Thanks, as always, for reading and leaving such nice comme.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 21, 2014
Last Updated on November 10, 2014

Author

K.
K.

TX



About
I am 19 years old, I am majoring in political science, with a minor in military studies. I volunteer at a horse therapy center for people with disabilities, I'm on my college rowing team, and I love t.. more..

Writing
Mistakes Mistakes

A Story by K.


Here Here

A Story by K.


Mileage Mileage

A Story by K.