you don't know

you don't know

A Story by blooming oak
"

special thanks to my editor dragonartist22 you can find her on deviantart. this story is sad(i think)

"
From across the hall you spy a girl. Behind her brown-rimmed glasses, her blue-grey eyes are downcast. You don't assume that any thing is wrong. Why would you? She slumps against the wall as she walks. Again, you don't assume that anything is wrong, this is high school after all. And you know that she does at least a few clubs and sports, along with a job. 'She's just tired…like the rest of us.' that's what you think until she coughs and you see the red dripping down her arm. On a snap decision you walk over and place your hand on her shoulder. In shock, you feel how cold the girl is through her heavy jacket.
"are you okay?"
Her eyes roll to you, and she gives a sigh and a slight nod for a yes. 'after all, those were only red ink designs down her arm and not what I thought,' you reassure yourself as you walk down the hall.


Since that day, you always seem to notice that girl. She always is looking down, and of ten is leaning against the wall just like before. You don't assume that anything is wrong. She is running, you guess, on three to five hours of sleep, just like the rest of the high-school-ers. The red ink is there, everyday, but on her hand it is darker. Earlier that day, you had spied her clutching her ribs and struggling to control a pained expression, but you hadn't stopped to ask what was wrong. Because when you asked her the first time you met, she had said that she was fine-and besides, it's none of your business.


The next time you leave class, you run into the crowd that has gathered outside, your grumbling stops when you see why the crowd is there. In the middle of all the people, on the floor, is the girl who your eyes seek everyday in the halls. The girl who your mind won't seem to let go. You hear the whisperers of those who surround you, saying 'is she asleep?' and 'the ambulance is on the way' ,and 'maybe someone should go with her?' You think to yourself…or maybe you say it out loud because the people around you nod.

"I'll go wit her."


You watch as the medics set her up. Then they turn to you.

"what's her name?"

You can only shake your head. You have only spoken once to this girl, and you have no idea what here name is. The medics ask you two other questions, and even after they decide to leave you alone, the question are still ringing in your ears.

"then why are you here? Why should you care?"

You watch the heart monitor stuttering. He doctor sits with her back to you, mumbling something. You lean closer to hear.

"…I never knew that she had left…poor girl…poor Emalena…"

When you hear the girls name, an odd forgotten memory finds its way to the front of your mind.


you are on the fool, laughing with a little girl beside you. You two are oblivious to the fact that your world is turning dark and your parents are leaving. Eventually, you both start to yawn. Your eyelids flutter shut.

"hey, mom? Where's Em?"  

Early-morning light had woken you, and now you had searched the unfamiliar house and realized that you couldn't find your kid sister. Your mom gives you an odd look before replying.

"Hon, do you have a fever? I don't know what you're talking about. We don't know anyone named 'Em' ."  

"Em, mom! Emalena! My sister!!"

"oh sweaty , you must be really sick. I can't help but wonders what they did to you. Hon, you're an only child. You know that. Come, let's get you back to bed."

"But…she, must have been real…"

Never the less, you allow  yourself to be tucked into bed.


You look over at the girl lying, unconscious, on the bed next to you.

"Em…?"

You whisper her name. the heart monitor stops. You hadn't assumed that anything was wrong, and now it's too late. Your sister's heart was still and silent. You hadn't assumed that anything was wrong, but in the end…

…she drowned in red

© 2011 blooming oak


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on October 15, 2011
Last Updated on October 15, 2011

Author

blooming oak
blooming oak

OH



About
well m in high-school abd i love to write,read,and draw. but i always have a problem finishing them more..

Writing
stars stars

A Story by blooming oak