Within the unoccupied spaces

Within the unoccupied spaces

A Poem by Avani Chhaya

Plucking its strings happily, etching its memories into my sore fingers, feeling the fragments of song embed itself into the empty crevices of my brain only to resurface at an inconvenient moment.
Elongating my syllables to match the the lowest chord, sounding like a soft lullaby, cradling my audience to a playful slumber. Muddling the lyrics and blurring the words with a hazy lightness.
Coordinating my feet to pulse out the rhythm, and my body to sway with the motions of song. Imagining a full orchestra accompaniment -  with bells ringing out on the offbeats, the audience clapping on the downbeats, and the stringed beauties making time on the anyway-around beats.
Crinkling my nose, closing my eyes, and wrinkling my forehead, in order to get lost in between the notes where the pieces of adrenaline burst forth with all-due anticipation, with over-excited eagerness.
Breathing in the vigorous stains of sweat, filling in the lungs with the bittersweet fluidity, punctuating the noise-filled air. 
Breaking into the chorus with unrivaled clarity forgetting the hazy lightness at the starched beginning with a presence that the gods would not have challenged.
Finding my way into the mellow middle, seeking warmth within the valley of the lyrics, acquiring my once-again soft-sounding voice smooth with unusual grace. 
Unexpectedly rising into the tides of the after-math, cascading into the uncharted waters of the second verse, feeling the beat swell with hyperactivity,
resisting the urge to dance myself - to twirl around in shameful flirtation -  in the spaces left unoccupied by the music.

© 2011 Avani Chhaya


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on June 21, 2011
Last Updated on June 21, 2011

Author

Avani Chhaya
Avani Chhaya

About
I am a junior at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign studying English with a secondary education minor. I have an intense love for reading and writing. I want to become a more confident.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114