Adventure Goulash for the starving

Adventure Goulash for the starving

A Story by Autumn
"

This was actually an in-class assignment that I grew rather partial to. It's kind of weird because the first half had to be narrative and the second half descriptive (as a result I like the second half much more) and I only had 800 words to work with.

"

 

“Ouch! What was that for?” I squeal as the friendly appearing but sinister acting seed spitter returns my pleasant greeting with a high-speed seed to the face. That may sound odd to a common earth-dweller’s ears, but monsters lurk around every corner in the World of Lore, and do NOT enjoy being disturbed. You’re reading this, so you, like I, crave adventure like a starving waif craves bread. Because of this, I eagerly awaited my eighteenth birthday to take the first rocket ship possible out to Lore. I seek adventure, and adventure is certainly what I am finding.
            First thing’s first, there are some seriously scary monsters out there. So my first stop is to the Battle Arena, the self-defense dojo of Lore. My first monster scares the living daylights out of me. Toadzards have large scaly bodies shaped like some deformed mix between a velociraptor and a toad. I brace myself for the battle to come and call my trusty gray and white bunny rabbit to my side. He immediately leaps directly at the monster. My heart jumps to my throat as graphic visions of diced bunny rabbit stuck between the monster’s teeth flash past my eyes. The attack succeeds and my bunny is left intact. Now it’s my turn, so I draw my sword and bludgeon him with its edge. The interchange lasts a while with me eventually coming out the victor.
            After much training, I deem myself worthy of a little exploration. I open up the blessed map of Lore and decide on Paxia as my next destination. When I arrive, I pay attention long enough to find that Moglo-Habilis are cute, need help, and want me to venture into the mysterious Dynami Plains. Agreeing to help almost immediately, I am whisked away, blinking the teleportation dust out of my eyes. Only the dust doesn’t go way, instead it starts to flash. Soon, I discover that the flashes are not random figments of my active imagination, but are instead bugs. I look harder at the tiny flitting figure of a firefly.
            “Weee represent--- the Dynami Clan!” remarks a firefly.
            “Wait… You can talk?” I spit.
            Ignoring me, the flicker continues, “Follow me.”
            I follow him/her/it, because at this point, what else am I supposed to do? We head towards the Igneus Chain where the heat absolutely takes my breath away. Gasping for air, and tiptoeing across the coals and molten lava, I collide with Xarav. This power-hungry mutt wastes my time by threatening to release his minions if I do not pass his fire-related test. I sigh visibly and succumb to his ridiculous quiz. Completing the exam with ease, I am soon taking from his grimy hands what the Moglo-Habilis have me questing for, a glittering Idol.
            Idol in hand, I reappear back at the Moglo-Habili’s perch. A diminished flurry of color surrounds me. Smooth mountains unmarred by ridges grace my field of vision in the distance. The landscape rolls on, shading the lengthy journey to the mountain’s peak. A feeling of sorrow clouds achingly gorgeous scenery. Hues of purple, blue and black accurately portray the deep depression felt by these darling creatures.
            Moglo-Habilis are peaceful beings, which can easily be shown by the overfilling bags of potions resting at their feet. They stand there, struggling to appear hopeful at my approach. But I can see, no, I can feel the truth emanating from their large orange-tinted eyes. Reflected in these same eyes, war scenes rage on. Their home for centuries is ravaged, bombed, and destroyed by the Clan Wars. Shoved from these homes, they quest here in the hopes of starting anew.
            Their eyes latch on to the Idol, and hope glimmers doubtfully across their faces. In response, I raise the Idol high above my head, and the mood, the air, the landscape, and everything, absolutely everything changes. A beam of light seems to come down from the sky and retake its rightful place in their eyes. Tears flow freely like a river bursting through a once impenetrable dam. I glow, they glow, and the mountains let out a grateful hum, a hum which molds into a melody, the melody into a song, and so on until the very earth dances with joy.
            I realize now that this is exactly what I have been looking for. Tricked by the glamour and appeal of adventure and exploration, I have missed out on this feeling. This feeling of sheer joy, and a deep feeling of regret and confusion all wrapped into one. These creatures still have a long way to go, but I will be here to help them every step of the way. No longer a common earth-dweller and certainly no longer a starving waif, I do not eagerly await the next ship out. Instead, I now wait with bated breath for the next opportunity to help the Moglo-Habilis.
 

© 2008 Autumn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this. keep up the good work.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 16, 2008