Resurrection

Resurrection

A Poem by Atticus Langston

Standing at the edge of the world, watching the fallen angels thrust the ones you loved down the bottomless abyss of death.

Cringing at the sight of such devastation, knowing that there is nothing you can do. Screaming at the top of your lungs, hoping the gods would save such souls, but your voice is muffled, drowned by the unheard cries of the others around.

You fall to your knees, for everything that meant a thing to you in this world, is slowly but surely fading, ceasing to exist.

You weep, a river flowing out of your eyes full of all the sorrow, all the pain, all the agony, all the restlessness you ever felt in life.

Not being able to withstand such a burden, you cover your eyes. But your hands seem to be gone and your eyes taped wide open.

Watching everything you worked hard for in life being destroyed, until your body is motionless and emptiness fills your insides.

Fading more and more, soul stripped out of your very being, all your senses are lost; nothing worth living for.

But as you slowly reach your demise, as your mind and body altogether disappear, your heart grows and grows in its shades of scarlet.

And all memories of all that was good in your life reappear. Endless strips of laughter and joy, endless strips of the love you shared with the world around you.

Memories of the first time you laid your eyes on the love of your life, your soon to be wife. The first time you held your child in your arms, thanking God for bringing such a gift, such a miracle within your world.

Memories of your father's appreciation of the person you were growing to be, through his silent acknowledgments. Of your mother sacrificing so much so that you were able to lead the happy and fulfilled life that you lead.

Memories of friends who stood by your side, through thick and thin. Friends who brought so much into your life.

Then comes silence...And through your memories, these souls resurrect from the pits below, look you straight in the eye and smile, for they know that through your heart, they shall ascend and live on forever.
 

© 2009 Atticus Langston


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
Added on January 31, 2009