Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by A. Steig

My legs were like jello as I boarded the small plane. I had felt unsafe boarding the jet back in Knoxville...boarding Mauston's little charter plane felt like I was entering my own coffin. I couldn't understand how something so small was even capable of handling the turbulence of the air, but Mauston sure didn't seem worried. He seemed just as at ease climbing into the cockpit as he would have been doing any other mundane activity. I buckled myself into my seat, double checking to make sure it was secure before resting my head back against the seat and closing my eyes.

My heart raced harder with every thunderous boom from outside, and the sound of rain on the roof did nothing to calm my nerves. I knew I needed to keep myself together...I sure wouldn't find the same sympathy with Mauston as I'd found with the airline stewardess. He had been distant when he'd come to retrieve me from the terminal, walking me briskly out to the plane. I wasn't sure if he was just the unfriendly sort or if his behavior was simple resentment of having to brave the weather, but I wasn't going to let it get to me. I had enough to worry about, and one cranky pilot seemed rather low on my list.

I came very close to crying out as we took off, my eyes drawn and locked on the window as the structures on the ground grew smaller and smaller. I hadn't been near a window on the last plane, which was probably good. Watching the take off was like watching some horrible accident...I didn't want to see, but was powerless to look away.

The deep tenor of Mauston's voice stirred me. "Gonna make it back there?" From the view of his profile, I could see that he was smirking.

"Flying is not my strong point." I told him weakly, feeling heat rush to my face in embarrassment. "This is only my second time on a plane...and the first was the jet that got me to Seattle."

"Well, after this ride, I doubt turbulence will ever bother you again." His smirk grew a little as he focused on the controls before him.

I paled, frowning deeply. "Thanks for the reassurance." Why did it seem like he was getting pleasure out of my discomfort? He was likely being paid a handsome sum by Ben for this trip...was it so much to ask that he be nice, or at least shut up?

Mauston just kept smirking, so I pulled out the paperback I'd bought at the airport and tried to lose myself in the plot. To me, reading is just as vital to my work as the actual process of writing. I enjoy entering the worlds constructed by other authors, of living in it for the duration of the pages between my hands. It is good to take a break from weaving the threads of my owns stories and to appreciate those woven by others. The particular story I was reading was by an author I have always held near and dear to my heart, and his work effectively numbed my fear for the time being.

The plane suddenly felt as if it had been dropped from the sky, sending my book flying as I yelped in surprised. My eyes shot to Mauston, who was bent over the controls with a look of determination. He didn't bother looking at me, though he'd obviously heard my surprise. "Turbulence." He muttered as the plane seemed to shudder and drop again.

"How much more?" I all but squeaked, feeling a wave of nausea flood over me.

"You can pretty much expect a rough ride til we touch down. This is relatively mild compared to what we'll be flying into later." He glanced at me. "If you sleep, you'll miss it." I could tell by the look on his face that he was hoping that sleeping was exactly what I'd do.

"I'll never be able to sleep with this going on." I glanced down at the book that has spilled out of my hands, suddenly feeling an overwhelming need to cry. It was all just too much to handle for one day! "If I could just know that my father would hold on until the storm passed...we wouldn't be out in this mess!" My voice sounded teary, and my gaze burned as I stared at the book. I was too embarrassed to risk a glance at the pilot.

Mauston shifted in his seat, quite obviously uncomfortable with the prospect of having a crying woman in his plane to deal with on top of the worsening condition. "Your father? What, is he sick?"

"Ben didn't tell you?" My gaze shot up in surprise.

"No, he didn't. He was too busy reminding me I had a favor to repay. I never asked why it was so damned important that you get to Fairbanks." He wasn't looking at me, focused still on the sky before him.

"It's so 'damned important' because my father's had a stroke. They think he'll pass sometime soon." The plane lurched again, and I fell silent, though I had had every intention of laying into this stranger over his brashness.

Mauston seemed to consider this information for a while before he spoke again. "Look, would you be les scared if you could see that I've got complete control over the aircraft? Why don't you come sit up here a while. Maybe then you'll be able to catch come sleep or something."

I pursed my lip, considering his offer. "That might help, I guess." I wasn't sure if it really would or not, but I was willing to try anything.

"Make it quick. If we hit another pocket while you're out of your seat, you'll be hurtin'." Mauston commented.

That was all the convincing I needed. I unbelted myself and all but bolted for the front of the plane. I didn't even stop to collect the book I'd dropped. The second I made contact with the seat, I clawed for my seatbelt and latched it. Only then did I relax, and Mauston's deep chuckle drew my attention.

"Why are you laughing at me?" I asked him incredulously.

He shook his head. "Not trying to, Ms. Rivers, but I was just thinking about how I have never seen someone move that fast in my life." He shot me a grin, and even in my mounting irritation with him, I noticed that hi smile was great. It took years off of his weathered features and made him downright good looking.

"I don't like airplanes. Give me a break." I growled. "And my name is Kelsey. Stop with the Ms. Rivers stuff. It's...annoying."

"But yet, you ride horses. A living creature that you have no control over."

I was taken aback by the statement. "You've read my work?" It was shocking really. The only way he could know about my horse hobby was if he'd read a book of mine, read the About the Author section at the end.

"My ex wife was a fan." He sounded slightly bitter.

"Oh. Well, yes, I ride horses. When one of them does something unpredictable, at least I'm not that far from the ground. When a plane does something unpredictible...people die." I suppressed a shudder. Even thinking about such a fate was enough to make my blood run cold.

Mauston looked over at me briefly. "Plane crashes are rare. Safer than a car ride, even."

I shrugged. "I would still rather take my chances on the ground."

He didn't answer this time, instead expertly handling the controls with a look of concentration. I have to admit, it did help to watch him work, to see first hand how well he seemed to know his machine. He handled turbulence without a bit of anxiety, guiding the plane with ease. I guess I must have fallen asleep while I was watching, because the next time he spoke, his voice was sharp with the edge of alarm.

"Kelsey! Get up!" He barked.

Startled awake, I blinked at him. The plane seemed to be making a whining sound that I hadn't heard earlier. "Are we touching down?" I asked sleepily, though I didn't see any lights that would indicate the Fairbanks was down below.

"We're going down, but it'll be in a field or a tree instead of a runway." He growled, manhandling the controls as the planed whined louder.

My mouth went completely dry at his words, and panic choked me. "Mauston, what are you saying?" I shrieked.

When looked at me, I saw something that terrified me even worse than the sick sounds coming from the airplane. There was fear in his eyes, and his lips were set in thin lines. I knew if whatever was wrong with this aircraft was enough to make Mauston look like that, the chances were pretty high that we were going to die.

"I'm saying that this plane is going to crash." As if in answer, the plane's nose suddenly dove forward towards the ground below.


© 2012 A. Steig


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on March 31, 2012
Last Updated on March 31, 2012


Author

A. Steig
A. Steig

WI



About
Hi there! I've been an avid reader since I was little, so it's really so surprise that I love to write as well. It's my dream to be a writer one day! I love all genres, but my favorites are romance/su.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by A. Steig


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by A. Steig


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by A. Steig