Heartbroken

Heartbroken

A Chapter by A.U. Greer
"

We get a small intro from our main character

"
Heartbroken
And it begins….
It was mid-June, June 15th to be exact. The sun was beaming down on our academically filled heads, and our clothes have changed from hoodies and pants, to shorts and tank tops. I was really happy that day, happier than usual. Because he was walking me home, and only me. It was a rare occasion, it was even more rare because he was the one who offered to walk me home. 
“Sure is hot today huh?” I said, trying not to be the awkward person everyone knew. I even remember the dress I was wearing, it was a white sundress with pink flowers on it. It made me look 10x more preppy than I already was.
“Well, that’s life.” He said. I could remember what he was wearing too, blue jeans and a faded black t-shirt. He made it quite obvious he doesn't dress according to weather patterns.
“So, you said you were going to summer camp for the holiday.” I inquired.
“Yeah, as a councilor. I’ll be gone for the whole vacation, but I might be back a couple of days before school resumes.”  He said with a neutral tone to his voice. 
“The whole vacation? Aw, but I wanted to hang out with you.” I whined.
“We’re hanging out now aren't we? Besides, I said I’ll be back a couple of days before school starts.” He smirks a little as if he was glad I was upset.
“But, it’s not the same.” I whined, I didn't mean to though.
“Relax short one, I’ll write to you. I’ll tell you all about the horrid food and humid weather, maybe throw in a few stories about how I catch two middle school kids making out.” He was letting loose, his true self was showing… I should’ve kept walking when I had a chance.
But when he stopped walking, so did I. He turns to me slowly, well at least that’s what it looked like from my perspective.
“How’s your anxiety coming along?” He murmured.
I was diagnosed with a mild case of anxiety when I was in the 8th grade after I fainted during an award ceremony. I also started hyperventilating during final exams, and when I talk to him I start to stutter and sweat. Today was just a lucky day due to the warm weather.
“Fine, why do you ask?” I questioned. 
He carefully tilts my head up with his index finger and thumb, our eyes meet making my heart pound faster. His green eyes focusing onto my boring brown ones. I wanted to look away to lower my chances of fainting on sight. 
“Because, I care about you… a lot.” he was whispering now, and before I could say anything else his lips were in contact with mine.
Although he needed lip balm, the kiss was pretty amazing, we interlocked until I finally snapped out of it and realized we were a block away from my house and my parents could drive by any minute. And the fact that I didn't know he “cared” about me so much he had to kiss me.
So, I push him away, even though my heart is telling me not to.
“What the hell are you doing?” I stepped back a little, he looks at me confused.
“I-I’m sorry, I thought you liked me." His eyes transitioned to a light green.
I didn't give in to though.
"What? No, that's not it. It's just the fact that... You ignore my feelings for you for so long and suddenly you like me?" Boy, it was hot that day.
Ethan looks down then back at me, he had this really sad innocent look on his face.
"Maybe, I realized that I was ignoring the wrong person." A little back story, Ethan dated a girl named Amelia who religiously broke the school dress code. The relationship only lasted three days, it was a very long three days though. Toni wanted to strangle her when Amelia looked dead at me and kissed Ethan right in front of us.
"No." I said sternly, "You can't just switch on your feelings like that." 
"No, you don't understand." Ethan looked concerned.
"You're the one who doesn't understand, I don't want to be your little puppet anymore."
I turn around and start walking towards my house. He wasn't going to use me anymore, he wasn't going to talk to me when he felt like it, he wasn't going to leave me heartbroken...
It was the last day of school. I was excited, all of us were excited. My friends and I decided to hang out in the art room and draw. I'm not that good, but I try. We were having a blast when the door opened three minutes into what I think was fourth period.
It was Ethan, with Amelia... And of course her little group of friends. They were all laughing at something she said. I must've forgotten about yesterday because I acted as if it never happened.
"Ethan! Hi!" I was so caught up in the excitement.
He takes one glance at me, and looks away. Ouch he heard me, right? Was I too loud? Amelia looks at me and gives me a sly smirk. What did I do?
September
It was a warm day today, I was waiting for my friends. I felt like I was waiting forever standing on the porch sipping on a glass of iced tea. 
"Ophelia! If Ben is running late come inside and wait, it's too hot outside." My mom called out. And yes you heard right, my parents named me 'Ophelia' I don't know why though. Their careers have nothing to do with literature, my mom's a pharmacist, and my dad is a computer engineer. Two careers that have nothing to do with Shakespeare whatsoever.
Whenever I ask my mom why would she name me Ophelia she just says, "Because maybe one day you'll meet a cute boy named Hamlet." The true story is that my grandfather from my mom's side was a literature professor, and he was a big fan of the play write "Hamlet." 
I saw Ben coming around the corner, "Don't worry mom Ben's here!" I walk towards him and gave him a hug, he pushes me away.
"Ew no, I don't want to make contact with people in this heat." He groaned, I laughed. Benjamin is one of my best friends, I've known him since our freshmen year of high school.
"God, I'm literally a flaming homosexual." he joked, Ben came out of the closet when he was in middle school. He told me it was no big deal to his parents which surprised him a lot seeing as his brother Frank is our high school's quarterback. "I at least wanted my mom to cry." He said.
"Relax, you should be thankful Toni's new house is closer. Plus there's central air." I wiped some sweat from my face, Ben does the same.
"This is dangerous though, we might like die on the way." Ben is known to exaggerate.
"Like I said relax." I was surprisingly calm.
"Okay it must be really hot if you're calm. Have you heard from Ethan?" Ben asked. I freeze at the sound of his name, Ben notices.
"N-No I haven't." I mumbled, Ben rolls his eyes.
"I really shouldn't be telling you this because Toni will kill me."


© 2013 A.U. Greer


Author's Note

A.U. Greer
Let me know what you think. It's a little rusty, but hey that's why I'm here. Right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on May 12, 2013
Last Updated on May 12, 2013
Tags: Romance, Teen, Comedy


Author

A.U. Greer
A.U. Greer

somewhere, CA



About
Hello, my name is Ash. I like to write, draw, read, and give advice. I am currently working on 2 narratives. I decided to post Heartbroken because every time I asked if someone could read it they'd ju.. more..

Writing