A fox in Shin-Kawa River

A fox in Shin-Kawa River

A Story by Ashley_2015
"

Once upon a time, there was an old man. One night, he was walking down a way home from a local wedding party. When he came to Shin-kawa (new river), he heard someone call him… – 386 words.

"

This is a story from a small village in east Asia about 50 ~ 60 years ago.


An elderly man who lived in the village was invited to a relative’s wedding party.  Because it was a little while since the last time those relatives met face to face, the party really came alive.  The man had a good time drinking, singing and talking about good old days. 


On his way back home, he was walking down a local road with a delicious dinner package given at the party.  He was a little drunk, humming a tune, walking with tipsy steps.  As he came near Shin-kawa (new river), He heard someone call him.


“Hello, dear old man.”


The old man stopped and looked around, but he found nobody.  He tilted his head in confusion.  Maybe it’s an imagination - he thought so, and started walking again.  But again, someone called him.


“Hi, sir, old man.  Come this way.”


When he stared at where the voice came from, he saw vaguely someone beckoning to him.  He thought, “Maybe, that’s one of my friends who came for me.” Assuming that the person was someone he knew, the old man followed the person. 


After walking for a while, he found himself standing in front of a railroad crossing.  An alarm sounded, the toll bar went down, and a train came in the crossing.  When the train passed, the bar went up, and he saw that wedding party was there again!  People are laughing, singing, and drinking.  The old man felt so happy that he laid down his food package near him, and jumped into the circle of people. 


After enjoying the party for an hour or so, he was getting tired.  He thought finally it’s time to go home, and tried to pick up his dinner package.  Oddly enough, the package was nowhere to be found.  He tilted his head again.


“I am sure I left it around here..?”


He noticed something weird. 


“Where’s that person?  The person who led me to this place?”


As he mumbled to himself, the party was gone " the feast, the people, and all were gone.  Only thing the old man could see was that railroad crossing.  Having lost his delicious dinner package, he lost heart and trudged along his way home. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------


It has been said that there has been a bad fox who cheats people for food. 

© 2016 Ashley_2015


Author's Note

Ashley_2015
Any comments please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
Added on May 5, 2016
Last Updated on May 5, 2016
Tags: Fox, old story, legend, rural village, old man

Author

Ashley_2015
Ashley_2015

Los Angeles, CA



About
I was born and raised in a foreign country (East Asia), and moved to the U.S. after I became an adult. So, my English is still not very good. But, I am interested in writing in English! more..

Writing