The Christmas Present

The Christmas Present

A Story by J Mourning
"

A woman finds Christmas not to be what she expected

"

 

It was Christmas Day when he told her. A day that should have been the happiest day of both their short lives was now the worst day she could have possibly imagined. Christmas Day was supposed to be the day that everyone enjoyed giving and not receiving; when the spirit of Christmas goodness had a hold on your heart and you were like a child again, dreaming of Santa Claus and his flying Reindeer and snow and magic and a feeling that you couldn’t quite put your finger on.
            Melody had woken up that morning in their bed, alone. She yawned as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. It was only eight in the morning, but that was okay. It was Christmas Day. She wondered, a part of her did, where Leo was, but most of her was consumed with the excitement of Christmas and the news that she had waited these few days to tell him. She put her pink robe on over her comfy grey cotton PJs and headed to the living room. It was Christmas Morning. They’d open presents over a cup of coffee and then she’d make a glorious Christmas breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes – Leo loved pancakes – and sausage with gravy like her mom used to make on Christmas Morning. She smiled. Thoughts of her mother always made her smile.
            She found Leo in the living room, face in his hands and blue bathrobe loose around his silken black pajamas pants. His chest was bare, and she thought absently of running her fingers through the dark hair that was there….but that could wait, until after Christmas Morning, after breakfast, after she’d told him the news.
            “Hey, Hon. Good Morning. Want me to make some coffee?” Mel asked her husband. He looked up at her, and she knew something was wrong. His face was red, his eye were distraught. They had been married ten years, she noticed things like that. “What is it?” A million things raced through her head.
            “Mel….” He took a deep breath. “Mel, I’ve been cheating on you for three months and I just don’t love you anymore.”
            That was not one of the million things. She fell down on the floor, clumsily landing on her butt. All the magic leaped out of Christmas like a fish jumping off a boat. It flopped and floundered and when she finally made sense of what he said, she could feel the tears forming behind her eyes and she would not give this man, this man she had vowed to love and cherish until the day she died, the satisfaction of making her cry.
            “Mel, please…” Silent tears were running down his cheeks.
            Melody shook her head and she pointed to the door. “Get out.” Her voice sounded like ice even to her.  He tried to help her up, tried to hold her, tried to be something that he no longer had a right to be, and she fought him off. “Don’t you dare touch me, you b*****d.”
            He finally gave up and moved past her. She heard the closet door open, the scuffling of clothes. She stood up then and moved to the kitchen. Like an automaton she pulled a glass from the cabinet – third on the left – and moved to the fridge. The door had one of those slots where water and ice were accessible without opening the door. She filled her glass with cold water and nearly choked when she tried to down it with a single gulp. She almost dropped the glass, but managed to place it on the counter beside the fridge.
            When Leo came back, he was dressed in grey slacks and a green and white sweater – so festive she thought - and carrying his briefcase and a garment bag. “Mel, please just talk to me.”
            She shook her head and pointed to the door.
            “I don’t deserve this kind of treatment!” He snarled.
            “You! You don’t deserve this? Get out! Get out now! You knew my rules, and you broke them so get the hell out and if I ever see your face again, I swear to God, you will wish I hadn’t. Now get the hell out!”
            He left. He slammed the door. She locked it behind him, chain included. She listened. The car started and he peeled out of the driveway. God, men were just so stupid sometimes. Thank God it was eight o’clock on Christmas Morning; otherwise someone would probably be dead.
            She waited, how long, she couldn’t say – ten minutes, fifteen, perhaps twenty? Only then did she let the tears flow down. She looked around her, Christmas lights blinked mockingly, presents that would never be unwrapped glittered under the tree. She wanted to burn it all down, to make the world stop. It was so unfair…on Christmas Day.
            And she hadn’t told him about the baby.
 
She finally pulled herself together and started to work. She made herself eat – for the baby – she told herself, and unwrapped all the presents that she would need to return now. The thoughts made her cold, and she turned the heat in the house up, but nothing seemed to help.
            She didn’t know what to do. Her friends were all spending time with their families. She couldn’t interrupt other people’s happiness for her own. Belle had the kids to think about and Ivory was at her mother’s house with all her nieces and nephews, even Will had Quent to spend his holidays with. Of course, Melody’s mother had passed away years ago and her dad had been shot down….well she was twelve, what she remembered about her dad blurred greatly over time. He was a good man her mother always said whenever they dusted the pictures. Mom had kept the pictures of her and dad, and even a few of all three of them, so they would never forget.
            Thoughts of her lost parents made her break down again.
            Once she was done with crying – it seemed no more tears would come – she started about the house cleaning: she made the bed, picked up the laundry, dusted and swept the floors, cleaned countertops and did the dishes. Once that was complete she decided it was past time to shower.
            She took a long, hot, shower, wishing the water would wash off every place where Leo had ever touched her. She rubbed her stomach where their tiny little baby was growing, and whispered to it. “Don’t worry, we’ll be okay. I’ll be okay. I’ve got you.”
            Once she had scrubbed and washed her hair, she turned the water off and quickly dried herself and dressed in a comfortable pair of black slacks, and a festive red blouse. She dried her hair and untangled her mangy auburn locks before letting her hair fall free. She smiled at herself in the mirror. She always felt better when she was dressed.
            She had taken off her wedding ring when she got in the shower, and she left it off. It was meaningless now, just another piece of jewelry that had no. She took the time to carefully paint her nails a pearly white and let them dry before putting on a pair of pearl earrings – her mother’s – and returning to the living room where this whole day had gone wrong.
            The ringing of the phone startled her and she had never been so glad in her life to have caller ID. It wasn’t Leo, however, it was her best friend since first grade, Belle Hollister.
            Melody answered the phone with a calm voice – at least she thought she was calm. “Hello?”
            Belle, on the other hand, was excited. “So, did you tell him? What did he say?”
            Mel burst into tears. Belle was silent for a few moments, she had kids, and she knew how to handle all these types of situations. Belle just let her cry.
            When Melody finally got herself under control, the only word she could manage was “Belle….”
            “Honey, what happened?”
            “Leo left.”
            “I’ll be over in ten minutes.”
            Mel sobered then, she didn’t want Belle to miss Christmas with her family on her account. “Belle, no. I’m okay, really. I... You don’t need to come over here. It’s Christmas… your kids….”
            “My kids and husband are parked in front of the TV playing the new video game. We do Christmas with my folks on Christmas Eve and we’ve already called and talked to Ron’s parents. You need me now.”
            She wouldn’t give up, so Mel did. She didn’t have the energy to fight. When Belle hung up the phone, she knew she’d be over here as soon as she could drive the twenty mile distance. She said ten minutes, but if Belle had a fault, it was a lead foot.
            Her doorbell rang eight minutes and twenty two seconds later. Melody looked out the peep-hole of the door before she opened it, and there stood Belle, bag in her hand, and without a coat. Melody quickly opened the door.
            “I brought some of my mom’s Christmas cookies and a six pack.” Belle said as she stepped inside.
            “I can’t drink.” Mel said, absentmindedly placing a hand on her abdomen, reminding Belle of the impending birth.
            “Which is why I brought you some vitamin water. It’s not the same, but it’ll do.”
            “So you brought yourself an entire six pack?”
            Belle laughed. “No, silly, I made a few phone calls on my way over. Will and Ivory should be here at any moment. Where should I put these?”
            “Belle! It’s Christmas, I didn’t call any of you for a reason. You can put them in the living room.” They walked to the living room and Belle unpacked her bag
            “Exactly, no one should be alone on Christmas, honey. Especially not you, and especially not after…. What happened?” Belle asked as they sat down on the couch, the one Leo had been sitting on when he….
            Mel blinked back the tears that were forming in her eyes and put her hands on her face for moment. She lowered her head, took a deep breath and told Belle everything Leo had said and done.
            “Oh, honey.” Belle said as she wrapped her arms around Melody. “So, you didn’t even tell him?”
            Mel just shook her head. The doorbell rang again and she untangled herself from Belle and went to answer the door.
            It was Will. He was wearing a goofy looking Santa hat with a black trench coat and a green scarf. He usually looked so put together, but this reminded Melody of something she might see on a guy who was running around flashing people. She opened the door and he rushed in, kissing her on both cheeks before embracing her in a huge hug.
            “Oh, Sweetie, I am so sorry! You deserve so much better than him!” Mel took his coat and hung it up in the hall closet.
            “Will, I wish you hadn’t come over.”
            “Nonsense, sweetie!” He said, waving his hand at her. “I had never been so happy in my life to hear my cell phone ring, until Belle told me the news. Mom’s at Christmas starts out nice and degrades as everyone starts getting drunk. They were fighting about something that happened twenty years ago when Quentin and I walked out.”
            “Where is Quent?” Melody asked. Will’s lover was also a friend, and she wouldn’t have minded in the least if they had both walked through that door. She hoped Will knew that.
            “Oh, Quentin wanted some down time… we’ve been partying non-stop since Friday. I think he’s burnt out. You know how much he hates crowds. Besides, he wanted to get home before it was too late and call his sister in Seattle and see how the boys enjoyed their Christmas.”
            Quent’s sister had just moved to Seattle following her career and taken her twin four year olds with her. Their great aunt and uncle lived in the area. This was the first Christmas the two had ever spent apart, Will had told Mel and the girls a few weeks ago. Quent’s sister hadn’t been able to afford to bring the boys back down here for Christmas.
            “Belle’s in the living room,” Melody said. “She’s got beer.”
            “Oh, good, cause I need to unwind after Mom’s house!”
            “I thought you said everyone got drunk.”
            “Oh, you know, just Mom and Dad and Mom’s brothers and Dad’s brother and a few of my cousins….everyone but me and Quentin.” Will laughed and it brought a small smile to Mel’s face – she loved Will’s laugh.
            Will had just made it into the living room when the doorbell rang again and Melody turned around. It was Ivory, clad in her faux fur jacket, and a hat, scarf, and gloves. Mel opened the door and Ivory stepped inside and shivered. “Good God it is cold out there tonight! Come ‘ere, sugar. Give me a hug.”
            Melody did and then she took Ivory’s coat and her other accessories and hung it in the closet next to Will’s trench coat.
            Ivory had already made her way into the living room and opened a beer by the time Mel walked finished in the closet and walked back to her friends. Will was munching on one of the cookies Belle had brought.
            “I filled them in, enough,” Belle said. “I didn’t want you to have to tell everyone again.”
            “Thanks, Belle,” Melody said as she sank down in the sofa. Ivory had taken a seat on the other side of Belle and Will was sitting in a chair he had pulled toward the sofa.
            A soft, silent tension filled the air for a moment as Mel looked at each of her friends in turn. Will had taken off his Santa hat, and his blonde hair flew in every direction with the static. Ivory was wearing a stark white sweater which echoed the white of her teeth and made her look even darker than she actually was. Belle’s mousy brown hair had been pulled back in a quick ponytail, and small strands were already starting to escape. “So,” Mel said finally, “did everyone else have a nice Christmas?”
            They all laughed, Mel included. Will grabbed a beer and Mel the vitamin water that Belle had so thoughtfully brought. The three of them talked about their days and the presents they had given and received, and a part of Melody was glad that the world hadn’t stopped because Leo didn’t love her anymore. A part of her was angry for the same reason.
            When they all finished their Christmas stories, Will looked at Melody with a serious look in his eyes. “Sweetie, what are we going to do about the baby?”
            “Did you tell Leo?” Ivory asked.
            “No. It was going to be part of his Christmas present.” She glanced absently at the Christmas tree with its blinking lights and pretty ornaments and presents, still wrapped – she hadn’t gotten that far, hadn’t been able to do more than think about it.
            “Are you going to keep it?”
            “Of course she’s going to keep it, Ivory! It’s her baby.” Belle admonished.
            “Well, the situation’s changed. Maybe there are other things to think about right now.” Ivory said. “Like getting a job.”
            “Ivory, it’s Christmas. I don’t want to think about real life until tomorrow.” Melody said.
            “Well, sugar, you’ve had a hard day. You can try and hold real life off all you want, but the world doesn’t work like that.”
            “Ron has a friend who’s a good divorce attorney. I’ll call you tomorrow and give you his number.”
            “Does she need to tell Leo about the baby before she files for divorce, or not?” Will asked. Ivory and Belle shrugged.
            “Guys, guys! I can worry about all this tomorrow. Today is Christmas. It’s supposed to be wonderful and magical and,” she waved her hand at the tree, “all blinking lights and silver and gold and snow and happiness!”
            They all looked abash. “It’s still important stuff to think about, Mel.” Ivory finally said to the silence that had engulfed them.
            “I know, I know… but not tonight, not for me.” She turned to Will. “Will, what’s your favorite thing about Christmas?”
“Is this a good idea, sweetie?”
            “Just answer the question.”
            “Well, I guess,” Will began, “I guess I like the smells. Cinnamon and peppermint and chocolate and nutmeg and gingerbread.” He smiled, his eyes held a dreamy look. “They remind me of comfort and peace and family.”
            “How about you Belle?” Melody asked, turning her attention to the couch. “What do you like best?”
            “That’s easy the hope and wonderment on my children’s faces. It’s an amazing thing that childhood innocence. It makes your heart swell near to bursting… like the Grinch at the end of the tale.”
            “That’s such a cop out!” Ivory protested.
            “Is not! Children are a lesson in love, joy, and patience.” Belle said. Mel, Ivory and Will chuckled.
            “Ivory?” Mel ventured.
            “My favorite thing about Christmas is the presents! Receiving and giving too. I love shopping at all the holiday sales and buying presents for my friends and family. And speaking of presents….” Ivory pulled a small box out of her pocket and handed it to Melody.    
            It was wrapped in blue sparkly paper with white and silver snowflakes and had a pretty white and silver bow to match. Ivory loved to wrap gifts, Melody knew, about as much as she loved to shop for them.
            “It’s beautiful.” Melody said
            “Well, open it, sugar.”
            Melody did. It was a white box, with a black felt box inside. Melody opened the clamshell case, and there was a soft silver chain, and in the shape of a heart, was her birthstone, an aquamarine. “Iv, it’s beautiful.”
            “You can add on to it, when your baby is born… I’m glad now that I didn’t add Leo’s birthstone and your wedding anniversary stone.”
            Melody ignored her and hugged her friend. “Thank you.”
            “You’re welcome, sugar.”
            “I thought we weren’t doing gifts until Thursday lunch.” Will said with a frown.
            “We’re not,” Ivory said. “I had all my gifts in my car, and after Belle called saying Melody needed us, I grabbed her gift on the way in. I thought it might help.”
            Melody closed the box and put it on the coffee table in front of her. “You guys are all I could ever want for Christmas. The three best friends in the world.”
            “Hey!” Will said. “You didn’t tell us what you love most about Christmas, Mel.”
            “Will!” Belle and Ivory said in unison.
            “What?”
            “It’s okay, girls. Calm down. The question won’t kill me.” Mel said, and then smiled. “What I like most about Christmas is the feeling. The feeling of friends that love you and the feeling of family being near, even when they aren’t, and the feeling of hope and promise and delight. The feeling that somewhere, somehow, something is right with the world. That for one day, we could all join together and just be human, and nothing more.”
            “You should call Leo and tell him.” Will said.
            “No, wait until you talk to an attorney, first.” Ivory cautioned.
            Melody turned to Belle. “You have to do what you feel is right, honey.”
            Melody nodded and got up to find her cell phone. She found it in the bedroom. The bedroom where she had woken up this morning with such child like hopes and dreams. The bedroom where the night before she had slept next to a husband that loved her. She picked up her cell phone and dialed Leo’s number. He might not love her anymore, but a part of her loved him and probably always would. He deserved to know about the baby. Everyone deserved a present - after all, it was Christmas.

© 2008 J Mourning


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
Added on February 8, 2008

Author

J Mourning
J Mourning

Cincinnati, OH



About
I've been writing stories and poetry since I was five. I am currently working on finishing my first draft of what will be my first finished novel. In my short stories and novels I tend to write fantas.. more..

Writing
Passion Passion

A Poem by J Mourning


The Song The Song

A Poem by J Mourning