3:16

3:16

A Story by Godsent Abode
"

Carney misses an appointment because his alarm clock froze at 3:16 am. As a result, he misses a disaster that would have sent him six feet below the ground.

"
April 14th, 2014
It was a near dark room. On a table close to the bed was a ten by ten inch picture frame of Carney and his wife, Rose. Close to the picture frame was an electronic alarm clock. It said 3:16 am. Carney was fast asleep. He snored and turned at intervals. His phone lay carelessly, close to his ear. Seconds later, the phone rang out. It was so loud that Carney snapped out of sleep. He stretched his hand and picked it clumsily. It was his wife.
“Good morning sweetheart. I guess you are set for your appointment”, she asked.
Carney turned to look at the clock. It said 3:16 am. “By this time? It’s still too early”, he replied, adjusting the duvet to cover his bare body. “I thought your appointment was for six thirty this morning?” she asked. “Yes it is! I’m meeting with the officials at the Nyanya Motor Park station and from there we’ll leave for the venue of the meeting. Please let’s talk later. I still need to catch some sleep”
“It is six fifteen Carney!” “No, that’s not true!” Carney replied, “The time is…” turning to look at the clock again. It was still 3:16 am. Carney was shocked. “Honey, my alarm clock froze. Christ! I’m late! Please I’ll call you later. I need to hurry up.”
Carney dropped the phone and jumped out of bed. He quickly put on his slippers and zoomed into the bathroom. He hurriedly brushed his teeth, washed his mouth, took off his clothes and entered the bath tub to wash up. After washing, he tied a white towel round his waist and rushed into the bedroom. He made for his wardrobe and brought out his black suite and his shirt. He put them on hurriedly.
His phone rang again. He reached out for it.
“Carney where are you” his wife asked in a worried tone. “I’m just about to head out”, he replied, buttoning his shirt. “Oh thank God! I thought you had gone out” heaving a sigh of relief. Carney was taken aback by her response. “I thought you would be angry that I’m still at home”, he said. “Honey you need to stop whatever you are doing right now and begin to thank God”, she replied, sounding very serious. Carney forced on a smile, perplexed. “I don’t understand what you are saying. What is going on?” he asked. “There’s just been two bomb explosions at the Nyanya bus station”, she replied. “What! When did this happen?” he asked, making for the table by the bed. He reached out for his radio and began to tune it for possible news. “About seven minutes ago. An eye witness to the explosion just called me”, she replied.
Carney turned the radio knob until he got a clearer signal from BBC World News
“…blast went off during the Morning rush hour. Nyanya Bus Park was packed with commuters trying to get into the capital. From the look of the scene it is possible that the bomb was planted inside the buses…” a male reporter reported. Carney placed his phone on the table and listened to the reporter with keen interest.
“Hello! Hello, are you there?” Rose called out. Carney’s ear was glued to the radio. “…there was total panic in the area as those who could, ran for their lives. Bodies and body parts are scattered around the area…” continued the reporter. Carney’s phone rang again. He quickly picked it. He was surprised to see Felix calling. “Hello Felix, where are you?” “Thank goodness! I thought you were in the car. I was a few miles away when the bomb exploded. I’m at the scene of the explosion now.” Felix replied. Carney could tell from the ambience that there was chaos in the background. “Oh my God! Thank God you are alive. Were you able to recognize the car?” Carney asked. “Yes, but from a distance. The fire service men are here trying to put out the fire”. Felix replied. “Who and who were in that car? Do you by any chance know?” Carney asked. “I can’t say for sure but Anica called around 6:25 this morning to tell me that she had arrived and that they were waiting for us”. Felix said. Carney paused for a moment, weakened by the news. “You mean Anica was in that car?” Carney asked. “Yes!” Felix reiterated. Carney dropped the phone gently and sobbed. He lay back on his bed and thought about Anica. He remembered a scene from the past.
.***
Anica dressed up before the standing mirror in Carney’s room. Carney had just woken up from sleep. He turned to see Anica making up before the mirror. “What are you doing?” Carney asked, yawning. “Getting ready for church” Anica replied. “Aren’t you coming with me?” she asked. “From a filthy bed to the church? No way!” He replied. “At least you still need to make out time for God!” she said. “Hypocrite! That’s what you are” he replied, turning his back at her. “I’m not! At least I’m not cheating on anyone. I don’t have a husband”. She replied, brushing her hair. “You’re justifying yourself. You are a sinner!” he insisted. “Just like you! I pray that one day you will have a reason to serve God!” “Amen!” he responded, cynically. “Please don’t come tomorrow. My wife will be back from the states.” He added. “Whatever!” She replied, picking up her bag. “See you when I see you!” she said, leaving the room, not waiting for a response. It was obvious from the tone of her voice that she was angry. Carney escorted her to the door with his eyes.
***
Carney lamented over Anica’s demise. “Why did you have to leave?” he said, crying. He pulled himself from the bed and took another look at the alarm clock. It still said 3:16am. Carney wiped tears off his eyes and fixed his gaze at the clock, wondering why it froze. Almost immediately, he heard a knock on the door. He wondered who could be knocking at that hour of the morning. At a second thought he assumed it was Felix. He picked the alarm clock from the table and left the bedroom, making for the sitting room to get the door. Carney opened the door and was shocked to see Anica standing there, totally exhausted.
“Anica!” he whispered, still in shock. He thought he had seen a ghost. She was sweating profusely. “He gave me a second chance”, she said, trying to hold back tears. “I already got to the park when I remembered that I had forgotten a very important document for the meeting. So I was told by one of the officials to go and get it. I had barley left the park when the bombs exploded”. Anica could not hold back the tears any longer. She cried out loud. “The other officials were in the car” she managed to say, looking at Carney with tears filled eyes. Carney consoled her with an embrace, dumbfounded. After a moment of silence, she withdrew herself slightly, looked at Carney and asked “You are not known for lateness Carney. What happened?” wiping tears from her eye.
Carney withdrew himself further, lifted up his right hand and showed her the alarm clock. “It froze at exactly 3:16 this morning. I woke up to look at the time and it said 3:16 am. So I slept back. And then my wife called to ask if I was set to go out. At first I was angry that she disturbed my sleep because the clock was still saying the same thing. It never occurred to me that the clock had frozen until she said that it was passed six. I jumped out of bed and began to prepare. I was almost done preparing when her call came in again to break the news. A friend of hers had called her to tell her.” Anica looked at Carney with utter amazement and said, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him…” “…should not perish but have eternal life!” Carney added. “Was that what He was trying to tell me?” He asked, almost talking to himself. Anica nodded her head in response. “John 3:16…Do you believe now?” She asked. “Yes!” Carney replied, in awe. A tear created a path down his left cheek as he sat on the bare floor. He lifted up his voice and worshipped God who had shown him mercy. Anica joined him as they both committed their lives to God.

© 2016 Godsent Abode


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
Added on January 6, 2016
Last Updated on January 7, 2016
Tags: inspirational stories, life changing stories, purposeful living, 3:16

Author

Godsent Abode
Godsent Abode

Lagos , Western region, Nigeria



About
I'm a writer, a painter, a film maker, a recording artist and an actor. I live to inspire, encourage and motivate people through my works. more..