The Cruel Truth

The Cruel Truth

A Story by applesauce
"

There is a truth rarely acknowledged in this world that is nonetheless undeniably there. We refuse to look at it, because we do not like it. That does not make it any less true.

"

                There is a truth rarely acknowledged in this world that is nonetheless undeniably there. No one sees it, rather, they refuse to see it. It is pushed to the back of our minds, left to grow stale and woven with cobwebs. We refuse to look at it, because we do not like it. That does not make it any less true.

                The truth is, put simply, a cruel truth. The truth is, the world is an ugly place. We like to believe that in this world, anything is possible, that even the coldest and iciest of hearts can be melted. We like to believe that redemption and repentance are programmed into our minds. That is not true.

The truth is, that not everything can be saved. The truth is, there are some people, who have not a single ounce of goodness in their souls. The truth is, millions of little children go to sleep at night, starved and alone, who do not wake up at all. The truth is, millions of girls are forced to bed with greedy, lustful men, their bodies left broken and shivering in the dark. The truth is, millions of people are killed in the most bloody and painful ways imaginable. The truth is, millions of people wake up every day with no hope for their future.

We do not see this because we do not want to believe it. That is why we continue, ignorant in our own bliss, blind to the truth. We are essentially, selfish people. As long as we are happy, as long as we can continue to live with our eyes turned away, we ignore this truth. It does not affect us, and therefore, it is unimportant.

A few days ago, I read an article detailing the story of a five year old girl. She was left at home, baby sitted by her mother’s boyfriend. As she lay sleeping, the man molested and raped the girl in her bed. When her mother returned home and found the man over her daughter’s body, she took the child, and spanked her. She did nothing else.

When this was found out two years later, it was also revealed that the boyfriend had committed two other acts of rape before. He is now sentenced to 57 �"life years in prison.

My point in recalling this tale to you, reader, is that some people don’t deserve another chance. They don’t deserve our efforts. I have no doubt in my mind that men like that will never change. Even now, he most likely doesn’t have a single regret about what he did, other than the fact that he was caught.

And the little girl’s mother. We cannot believe it. It is unthinkable. But it happened. The truth is, mothers like that exist. Mothers who care not a whit for their children. These women deserve just as much scorn as men. Think, the child she had held inside for nine long months, her own flesh and blood. As a mother, as a woman, she has no excuse. She never will.

Doubtless, hundreds of others have most likely read this story. They will read, they will gasp, they will sympathise. They may even cry. But in a few days, most of them will forget the story. “What else can we do?” they would ask, “there is nothing we can do for the girl.” And that is precisely why this sort of thing can be allowed to happen. We are willing to shrug off these incidences, because there is nothing to do.

That is true. We can’t do anything. We are helpless. And that is the cruellest truth of all.  

© 2011 applesauce


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on July 18, 2011
Last Updated on July 18, 2011

Author