Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Dumpsters Are Deeper Than They Look

Dumpsters Are Deeper Than They Look

A Story by Angela Posey Arnold
"

A funny story about an adventure to getting some carpet remnants. Hope you get a belly laugh.

"

I love my husband. He can still make me laugh after 23 years together. Yesterday, I grew a new love bud because of the laughter he caused in me, again. My cheeks are sore this morning from laughing so hard at his antics yesterday.

 

I had a Doctor's appointment at 11:00 am. We have to travel to Decatur for major shopping and doctors etc. It is 30 minutes away from our home in the country. While I was in the Doctor's office my husband called around to some carpet stores to see if they had any remnants that he could purchase. He only needed a few yards to pad some shelves for his workshop. One of the stores, Rock Bottom Carpets, told him to come on by and he could have all the remnants he wanted. Just get them out of the dumpster in the back of the store. Seemed easy enough--and free.

 

We went to IHOP--our favorite place to eat after a Doctor's visit. And then we found Rock Bottom Carpets--drove around to the back and we could see that the dumpster was full of new carpet, just pieces that had been cut off. It wasn't full of garbage or I would have refused to let him get it. It wasn't used carpet either. Thank Goodness.

 

If you have seen my photos on my profile then you know what he looks like. His nickname given to him by his high school football coach is "Bear". Many still call him that. That tells you a little about his physical appearance. As I sat in the truck and watched him go about this task I prayed that he would not get hurt or fall.

 

He climbed up and over the top of the big green dumpster. Then he hopped in and disappeared. I no longer could see his head. He raised his hand up so I knew he was okay. Every now and then I would see the top of his head bobbing up and down as he looked through the carpet for the right piece. He found a large rolled piece and threw it out of the dumpster into the back of the truck. I waited and waited and still didn't see him. I thought 'well he is looking for another piece'. Actually he was trying to figure out how he was going to get out of that dumpster.

 

20 years ago he would have not had a problem but at 47 years old and 20 pounds too much on his belly, he had a dilemma on his hands. I watched as he struggled to raise himself up high enough to throw his leg over. Finally he got his belly over the side which gave him some leverage :) and then he threw his leg over. Finally he was sitting on the top side of the dumpster. Now he had to jump or skimmy down. He made the decision to skimmy. His belt got caught on something and it interrupted his skimmy down.

 

I was laughing so hard. He looked so funny trying to throw himself, big belly and all, over the side. I suppose I was laughing too to keep from crying. I was so afraid he would fall and I was praying "Lord, please help him get out of that dumpster in one piece."

 

I got so tickled but I didn't know how he was going to be feeling by the time he got to the truck. So I hid my laughter the best I could. He got to the door of the truck and he had the funniest look on his face.

 

He said, "You know, those dumpsters are deeper than they look. I didn't think I was going to get out of there." I busted out laughing and he did too. I could only imagine having to call the fire department and say, "yes Mr. Fireman, could you come to the back of Rock Bottom Carpets and get my husband out of the dumpster?"

 

This morning when he got up, I said, "How are you feeling this morning?"

 

He said, "My belly is so sore. Why is my belly so sore?" Then he remembered and said, "Oh yeah, the dumpster, remind me not to do that again!"

 

I am so glad he still makes me laugh after all these years together.

 

 

 

© 2008 Angela Posey Arnold


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on February 22, 2008

Author

Angela Posey Arnold
Angela Posey Arnold

Hillsboro, AL



About
Author�s Short Bio My name is Angela Posey-Arnold I am a 48 year old published Christian Author and retired RN. (prematurely--long story) In addition to an array of writing projects I.. more..

Writing