Workers in Japan Sleeping at Work Isn’t a Bad Thing

Workers in Japan Sleeping at Work Isn’t a Bad Thing

A Chapter by andreipark

Sleeping is important to replenish the energy and helps the body to recover from stress and exhaustion. In general, sleeping at work is prohibited. In Japan, taking a nap during work hours is not considered a taboo. Sleeping on the job, as well as snoozing during the commute in public transportation are very common in the country. People think that hard working employees are usually exhausted and stressed that’s why they tend to sleep easily.

Most of the Japanese employees, especially in Tokyo, knows how to multitask. But doing different things at the same time or consecutively can be tiresome. That is why people in the company allow some employees to sleep their way through meeting since they are present anyway.

no complaint in slumbering

The society in Japan has a big perspective and respect on time. Aside from multitasking, most of them dislike being late. The Japanese employees are considered as one of the hardest-working employees in the world. Even sometimes, they are literally working to death. Sleep deprivation is an unhealthy habit for most workers. However, the Japanese put great effort and value to their job that they forgot how to take it easy.

Sleeping provides numerous of health benefits to the body. Insufficient time of sleep can affect the body’s function. The people in Japan believes that sleeping on the job means the employee is hard working and has no sufficient time for sleeping.

Recruitment hubs and companies let their employees sleep even while they are at work. It isn’t a big deal for most companies since it is important to keep the good health of their employees. For them, sleeping isn’t a measure of tardiness or incompetence. What matters most for them are the employee’s age and length of stay in the company.

A lecturer in Japanese studies named Brigitte Steger stated her review and analysis about the working habits of the Japanese. She said that a new employee in the company tends to show how actively he or she is involved. However, older ones aged 40 or 50 years old can sleep. The higher they are on the social ladder; the more privileged they are to sleep.

high value in their job

The Japanese working class are hard-working people. According to recruitment offices and consulting firms like Cathay Dupont, the typical employees in Japan render at least 80 hours of work each week. q2 percent of the time of employees were put in over 100 hours. It can be a bad thing practice for companies overseas. But for companies in the country, it is a good way to boost profit and productivity. This explains why most companies in Japan who tolerates the practice of “sleeping while working.”



© 2017 andreipark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
Added on August 12, 2017
Last Updated on August 12, 2017
Tags: business, consulting