Millie's Little Bedroom

Millie's Little Bedroom

A Story by Adri Adityo Wisnu

For Millie, her bedroom is a safe haven, nothing bad is going to get through its protective walls and small window. There’s no other place where she could feel safe the most than her own bedroom, a simple and small bedroom big enough for a little girl like Millie to move around and sitting on a rug that sprawled across the floor in front of her bed to play with her dolls. As any other five year-olds, she would believe there’s some kind of monster or any other deranged creature hiding under her bed or inside her closet, but each night Millie could sleep soundly knowing that whatever stalking her at night would never get close enough to do her any harm.


It was a night like any other, Millie’s about to call it a day and her mother kissed her goodnight before turning on the small lamp that’s on the desk next to her bed. Millie never liked to sleep in a complete darkness, she would like to still be able to see what’s around her. Not long after her mother gone out of the room and closes the door, Millie were fast asleep. Then she heard something... In her sleep she heard noises, something she knows shouldn’t be there. She realized that she was actually awake, she gather up the courage to open her eyes, yet when she does she finds herself surrounded by darkness. The lamp was out, she tried to turn it back on but it didn’t work. Luckily for her, there was another source of light. It came from outside, the pale moon illuminates the room through the window, enough for Millie to see certain parts of her room. Enough for her to see the shadow standing outside her window, the source of the noises she heard before and still hear. Someone �" or something �" was knocking on her window from outside. It was more of a soft tapping than knocking, giving seconds of pause on each one.


Tap… tap… tap…


On and on it goes with no signs of stopping anytime soon. Millie felt her body shuddered in terror, and yet curiosity took the better of her. Before she even had the time to think of any other options, like calling her parents for instance, she got off from her bed and with cautiously approach the window. She braced herself for what she’s about to see when she shove the curtain out of the way, and…


She clasped her hands together onto her mouth to hold in an inevitable gasp. What she saw before her was a dreadful sight. A human being, but its body has been bloated so much it looks like as if it’s about to burst, its eyes jutting out of its socket, tongue swollen to the point its mouth can’t contain it anymore, the skin was green and rotten, some kind of liquid oozing out of several parts of its body. As soon as its eyes met Millie’s, it stopped tapping the window, instead as if trying to push it open, it presses its face hard against the window, letting out a long rasping moan as it does.


Bad things can’t get into my room, I’m safe. That was what young Millie thought. She felt safe because she believe that whatever it is outside her window can’t get in. And yet she was terrified to the bone, she can’t move at all, her body’s been petrified by an unknown force. Her faith in her little bedroom shattered when she saw the thing got through the window. Not by breaking the glass, it just got through as if the window’s not there. Its head got in first, then slowly its big, bloating body followed. Millie was about to let out a scream when she realized she can’t produce any voice. It was like something wedged up inside her throat and she did not know what, all the while the thing is completely inside the bedroom with her. Millie took some steps backward as the thing slowly approaching. Her leg hit the foot of her bed but she didn’t fall down, she kept walking and walking, the thing kept moving forward trying to get close to her, the liquid that been came out of its body kept pouring, wetting the floor. It sounds like the thing wants to say something but the swollen tongue makes it impossible to do so, instead what actually came out was just an anguishing moan. Shortly after Millie felt her back hit the wall, in that moment she felt that her bedroom was smaller than it usually was. Normally Millie would be able to move around without hitting anything, but this time she got no room the get away from the thing.


The thing stretched out its hand towards Millie as she closed her eyes and submit to her fate. She could feel a pair of big hands grabbed her arms, its swollen fingers slithers against her skin, it was cold and moist. Then she felt her body’s been shook so hard it’s making her head goes light to the point she almost threw up. She hoped that it would stop but it didn’t. She tried to struggle but the grasp was too strong for her. She opened her eyes only to see that the thing’s face was directly in front of her, its jutting eyes was too close to hers. She let out a scream and this time her voice came out.


In a split second, as if the room was shifting, what she saw before her was her own mother, shaking her body to wake her up. Millie was screaming and violently jerking about on her bed, so her mother had to do something to make it stop. When Millie fully woke up and regain her composure, she got up and stare at the window. There’s nothing there, not even the light from the moon. She looked around her room, it was back to exactly as she remembered it, even the lamp as on. Millie told her mother what she saw and Millie’s mother tried to calm her down, saying she only had a bad dream and there’s nothing to worry about. Millie calmed down a little despite still in quite a shock, Millie’s mother offered her to sleep with her parents for tonight and Millie nod.


Millie get off the bed to follow her mother out of the room.


Tap… tap… tap…


Millie gasped as she turned around to look towards the window.

© 2017 Adri Adityo Wisnu


Author's Note

Adri Adityo Wisnu
I'd appreciate some feedback :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
Added on March 14, 2017
Last Updated on March 14, 2017
Tags: Horror, short story

Author

Adri Adityo Wisnu
Adri Adityo Wisnu

Bogor, Jawa Barat, Indonesia



About
I'm a 23-old guy from Indonesia whose childhood dream is to become a famous author. My passion in writing started out when I was in elementary school, where I often not paying attention in Math class .. more..

Writing