1

1

A Chapter by Amy Cowan

I look through the keyhole of the old abandoned room. A room which had been left empty and bare for centuries.  It's the only sight I've seen for the last five months. Five long, lonely months. Do you know what it feels like to feel as if you are not wanted, as if you have nobody in the world that cares about you? Well I do. I have felt as if I may rot away into the cracks on the wall and never be seen again. All I have ever known is gone. This is my home now, this cold, large room. The room has brick walls which look as if they were cemented in place in the Victorian era. This place is anything but welcoming. I don't get much food or liquids but I'm getting used to it. The first month here was the worst. All I could do was sit here. There is nothing to do apart from draw and paint. I found the paints under the door where my food is normally passed through, it was as if a miracle had occurred. My name is Jemma and I moved here after my mother's tragic death. It was a death that broke my heart. There's a mysterious lady that owns the house. I got told she was my gran. I wish I didn't have to come here, wherever here is. I don't quite know where I am. I remember it to be a large stone building with an empty garden and large window shutters that are never open.  The only other human I make contact with is the long term house keeper who delivers my meals. She slips the food under the door quickly and makes a sharp exit.  The door is never open but the keyhole is big enough to see through. The sight is not so glamorous, a large empty landing. It has little light but more than my room, or should I say my prison. I like to sit and look out the keyhole sometimes and hope to see or hear something but I never do. What have I done to deserve this? I was a quiet girl and didn't annoy anybody. Keeping to myself was what I was best at but now I don't want to keep to myself, now I want friends and I want my mum. It is so frightening here, I don't know anybody or anything. It's like being taken out of your life into your nightmares.  I keep telling myself to keep strong as my mother would have wanted me to. The thing I miss the most is the sun, the beautiful sun. When I was younger I used to try and paint the sun but I then realised the sun is too bright to stare at. In here it is as if daylight is a world away.



© 2013 Amy Cowan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Really good opening, good description. You get pulled into the story and want to know more. Your visual descriptions are good, it's very easy to picture this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amy Cowan

10 Years Ago

Thanks Melinda :D
Very powerful, makes you want to know more. Nice work.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

chaotic katie

10 Years Ago

it all comes with time. I started of with poetry and gradually got better then opened up to the idea.. read more
Amy Cowan

10 Years Ago

:D Thanks a lot :)
chaotic katie

10 Years Ago

anytime :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 6, 2013
Last Updated on November 6, 2013


Author

Amy Cowan
Amy Cowan

United Kingdom



About
I am a student and musician. I play violin, guitar and sing mostly. I love reading and writing. I really haven't wrote much lately but hopefully shall soon!! more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by Amy Cowan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Amy Cowan