Arabelle

Arabelle

A Story by Alexis Caitlin King

It was on the shores of the sweet Louisiana bayou that I met Arabelle.

It was a thick night, the heat and moisture was seeping in my cells when she came into view. I watched the moon cast shadows across her delicate features, making her milky white skin glow more brilliantly than in sunlight. She wore a pink dress that fell elegantly to the middle of her shins. Her legs were long and slender, and she walked like a swan swimming across the moonlight.

All of her features lead to her pure white hair, loose and wavy- slightly frizzy from the humidity of the night. Beads of sweat swelled on her collarbone, glistening like morning dew on grass. Arabelle was stunning; her features were that of a porcelain doll placed high upon a shelf and encased in a glass sarcophagus. Her eyes were dark and hollow, but filled with wisdom well beyond her years.

As Arabelle walked past me, I watched her long, slender legs glide over the matted muddy bank.

Where did she come from? I'd never seen her before.

Arabelle could have passed for a princess, or yet- a goddess. I wondered who she was; I wanted to talk to her, to smell the rosewater and baby's breath parfum she was wearing. I wanted her words to lick the insides of my eyelids, and whisper through the strands of my hair. I wanted to feel her spidery fingers laced in with mine.

In the moment that Arabelle walked past me, I fell in love.

I think Eros' arrow hit me square in the forehead; I think I've become stupid. I haven't seen Arabelle for three years, but I still go out to the same Louisiana bayou where I first met her. I go out on dark nights, when the moon stays below the horizon line, and all the stars come out and shine so bright it looks like they're about to explode. I sit and listen to the tree frogs chirp, and the alligators calling out to their mommas.

Sometimes, I think I hear her humming something soft and sweet; and although I've never heard her speak one word before, I know it's her. I know it's my Arabelle, drifting and whispering through the tall grass of the bayou.

My sweet, sweet Arabelle drifting through the darkness of the hot Louisiana night.

© 2011 Alexis Caitlin King


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I feel like there is too much metaphor here. That might sound blasphemous within a writing community, but I got the impression that almost every sentence was a description followed by a metaphor.
Some things I might change:
"sweet Louisiana bayou" - I don't understand how the bayou can be sweet, unless you're speaking colloquially (in which case it wouldn't be fitting for the prose).
"seeping in my cells" - Maybe change to "seeping into my cells"
"Her legs were long and slender" and then later on "I watched her long, slender legs glide" - I think you're smelling what I'm stepping in here.
"All of her features lead to her pure white hair" - Either you're misspelling "led" or you're changing to present tense on us.
"I wanted her words to lick the insides of my eyelids" - Maybe I'm just not understanding what you're trying to say there. It could be exactly what you wanted to say, but the odds are that if I (pretend that's Italicized) don't get it, neither will the general public.
"Horizon line" - Not wrong, but a bit redundant or unnecessary. You could easily get away with saying horizon (maybe being a bit picky here).
"...and all the stars come out and shine so bright it looks like they're about to explode" - *brightly
There are also a few technical errors throughout which are more excusable. Small things, like having no comma between multiple adjectives.

Regardless of how much I'm tearing this apart (sorry), I think this is a great start to something and I think you should continue to develop it further if possible.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 21, 2011
Last Updated on April 21, 2011