Rise and Fall

Rise and Fall

A Story by Alexis Caitlin King

The moon came out from behind the mountains, rising above the earth like a glowing pumpkin. Big and plump, it rose up and cast the ground with an unsettling light. I lay back in the grass, the crickets chirping all around me.
What was this night supposed to be like?
I couldn’t help but feeling like the man on the moon was watching me, keeping one monstrous, cheesy eye on me and the other on the sun’s orbit. I wondered what life in outer space would be like, how freeing it must be to float within the abyss.
I felt my skin, lifting off the warmth of the grass. I drifted upward into the sky; and I knicked my elbow on the edge of the moon. The man looked up at me and laughed quietly to himself asking me if I were alright. I shut my eyes tightly fearing how far above the ground I was. When I gained the courage to open my eyes, all fear dissipated.
I was there, just being. That is all I was. Just a being floating above the great blue; marveling at how small my mother and father were. I wasn’t afraid of the fall back towards Earth, it would take a long time before I began my plummet, and I’d be dead before I hit anyways.
The stars shone around me like millions of candles lit under a vast black blanket. I saw nebula, drifted in between star clusters and stretched through wormholes. I saw time and space in four dimensions, my mind converting itself into another eye. An eye manifested above myself, seeing all around me. I could see all angles and all things. I remembered my mother back on earth, and the illustrious eye on the back of her head. She’d have been jealous of my mind’s eye.
I traveled far and wide within the universe, wearing nothing but the skins I was born into. I saw magnificent births, stunning deaths and all of the in between. After I experienced the goodness of the universe, I knew it was time. I turned myself back to the earthen sands that bore my flesh and fell headfirst. I fell for hours. I fell for days, months, and years. I fell until the word broke into pieces and no longer meant anything. Then in the last moments of my fall, when I began to spark and glow brighter then a thousand dying stars, I began to cry.
I cried for all the glory that was life. I cried for all the people who endured hatred. I cried for animals suffering. I cried for people suffering. I cried for suffering itself, for it knew nothing else. I knew of beauty, of life, of love, of peace. I could only hope that with the last of my burning embers, my knowledge would be passed from myself to my brethren on Earth.
With one last gasp, I whistled. Just then, the water immersed my hot body, turning my flesh made of sands into glass. Once again I was floating, not upwards, but downwards into the blackness of the ocean.

© 2011 Alexis Caitlin King


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I try as best as I can.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I cried for all the people who endured hatred...me too...do you defend them with honor too?

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 20, 2011
Last Updated on April 20, 2011