Fête

Fête

A Poem by Andrew John
"

Freeverse

"
Into the lane come wind, impetuous rain. Trees are now a threat, gesturing wildly, angry, promising to snap, eager to pounce, to crush in an embrace of leaf and crusty bark. The village fête, though, is like the show: it must go on, it must go on. It’s fixed in time, it’s preordained. Brave souls staff the stalls and serve, to raise the funds to fix the roof. Spattered souls - pulling their cardigans closed, tugging their knitted hats further down their heads - bravely measure out the day in collected coinage dropped into biscuit tins: the target must be reached. Cricket’s off - rain stopped play; back to the crease another day. But the ladies of the Guild fête the thinning punters with bric-a-brac and homemades, with orange juice and lemonade. It’s a parallel world - the other one’s not here today. This is all there is. For this day only, this is our fête. (Jul 2022)

© 2022 Andrew John


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The good old church fete and many I have attended over the years particularly when the children were young. I always admired the fortitude of the organisers. Come rain or shine, the fete went ahead indoors or out. Thanks for some memories Good day to you.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 28, 2022
Last Updated on August 19, 2022
Tags: rain, trees, village, fete, village fete, fête

Author

Andrew John
Andrew John

Carmarthen, Wales, United Kingdom



About
Live in Carmarthen, Wales more..

Writing