Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by ac
"

The beginning of the journey for Cooper Smith and the last goodbye for Riley Brown.

"
Riley Brown was knocking on my front door. The one person I didn't want to face. Because this goodbye would be so much harder. I held my breath, and waited. Hoping she would leave after I didn't answer. But instead I heard the doorknob turn after a moment, and her footsteps coming towards me.

“I knew you were in here!” She said with a sad smile on her face.

“How did you even get in Riley?” I asked.

“I picked the lock.”

“Of course you did.” There was a moment of silence between us before she stepped closer, and before either of us knew, she was hugging me tight. I shut my eyes, praying to God, or anyone else  that was listening, that tears would not fall from my eyes.

“Why do you have to go Cooper?” Riley asked, struggling to hold her own tears back. I didn't answer, not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't think I could physically form a sentence that would make sense. The hug seemed to go on forever, neither of us wanting to let go, because it would make this all so real. I slowly began to pull away, and just looked at her. Really looked. Behind those eyes were some of the best memories of my life.

“What are you thinking about?” Her voice was soft and sad.

“When we first met.” I replied. She smiled and took my hand in hers.

“That feels like forever ago.” She said, “We met in such a strange instance.” I laughed as I replayed the very first encounter we had with each other in my mind.

“You literally jumped over the fence, tripped over a bloody pool noodle and then very ungraciously fell into our pool. Noah was shocked, to say the least. Me, on the other hand, well I was trying not to laugh my head off. No-one else but you could do that Cooper.”

“Luckily I didn't have a concussion Riles.” I laughed with her. I remember that day so clearly. How I awkwardly introduced myself as Cooper Smith after making a complete fool of myself. Riley’s brother, Noah, seemed to think I wasn't that much of an idiot though. He actually congratulated me on my grand entrance.

“Why did you jump over my fence like a crazy person anyway?” Riley interrupted my thoughts.

“I’ll never tell.” I said as a wicked smile came across my face. She returned my smile and pulled me into another tight embrace.

“Have you.. finished packing?” She asked, hesitantly. It seemed that she had accepted that I was leaving, no matter how much she didn't want to believe it.

“Yeah. All ready to go.” I replied.

“I’ll drive you.”

“Okay.”

Most of the drive to the airport was silent. Not awkward, but a comfortable silence. It gave me a chance to think. About everything. About how much I would miss my best friend while I was gone. Would I ever come back? Everyone knew I was running, but they didn't know what from. And I would never tell. I had no idea what was beyond the walls of this country, but I knew that it had to be something better, right?

“You can just drop me off Riles, you don't have to come in.” I was treated with a look that said ‘Hell no’ from Riley, and knew that she would not leave so easily.

She pulled into a car space perfectly, and we walked into the airport together. Would this be the last time I ever saw her? What would happen to her? What would happen to me?

As I hugged her, maybe for the last time, tears spilled from both our eyes. Oh, we were a mess. I kissed the top of her forehead, and held her hand for as long as I could while walking away.

“I’ll see you little monkey.” I said.

“I’ll see you.” Came the response, followed by the noise of her crying.

This was probably the hardest thing I have ever done. Leaving everything behind. Leaving Riley behind. I knew she would never understand, mainly because I never told her the truth. But I had to go. I couldn't stay here anymore, not after what I had done.



© 2016 ac


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on January 21, 2016
Last Updated on January 21, 2016


Author

ac
ac

Perth , WA, Australia



Writing