18. State Police

18. State Police

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Chrissy finally gets through to the state police, but will they help her... or arrest her?

"

The lieutenant sat back in his chair at the State Police post and stared across his desk at Chrissy for several minutes before he finally said, “You'll forgive me if I find your story a little hard to believe.”


“It's true!” responded Chrissy, “Every word of it! I swear. You have to go get my daughter. She's still in danger!”


An officer walked into the room carrying a sheaf of papers in his hand. “Well,” he said, “I just got off the phone with the Spencer County Sheriff's Office and at least one part of her story checks out. Sheriff Karl Horst's cruiser went down an embankment on River Road and rolled several times. They had to life-flight him to St. Johns Trauma Center. Witnesses say he was chasing a motorcycle when it happened.” He eyed Chrissy.


“Yes!” exclaimed Chrissy, “That was me! I'm telling you he was trying to kill me.”


The lieutenant gave her a stern look. “Why didn't you tell us he crashed?” he asked her.


“I didn't know,” she answered, “One second he was there, the next second he was gone. I didn't know he crashed.”


The officer continued. “They also said that they've been looking for her for days.” He nodded toward Chrissy. “She's wanted for numerous crimes and she's assaulted several people. They say she's violent and dangerous. They're sending two deputies to collect her.”


NO!! Don't turn me over to them! They'll kill me!”


“They also said that if we find out where her daughter is to tell them and they'll make sure she's safe.”


“Oh, for Christ's sake!” Chrissy's voice was distraught. “You didn't tell them where she is, did you?! They'll kill her, too!”


He ignored her and went on. “They added that she's been telling everyone a fantastic story about being chased by drug dealers and that the sheriff's office is in cahoots with them.” The lieutenant looked at her and raised one eyebrow.


“Of course they're going to say that!” she countered, “You don't expect them to admit it, do you?”


“And then... there's this.” He handed two pieces of paper to the lieutenant. After studying the papers for a minute the lieutenant gave Chrissy a severe look. Then he laid the papers on his desk, turned them around so that they faced her and slid them over to her. As soon as Chrissy looked at them her heart sank down into her shoes. It was a copy of her arrest record from her former days as a junky. Oh, Christ! she thought, They don't believe me. They're going to turn me over to those b******s.


She picked the papers up and waved them at the two men. “Look at the dates on here. All of this is almost ten years old! It's got nothing to do with what's going on now. Do what you want with me, but for God's sake, go get my daughter and bring her back here. Please!”


The lieutenant stared at her harshly for several moments, then turned to the officer and said, “Put her in a cell until those deputies get here.”


Chrissy closed her eyes and hung her head. After everything she'd done to escape those b******s, these idiots were just going to turn her over to them. She'd failed.


“Hang on a second, Lieutenant,” said the officer, “Something doesn't add up.” He laid the rest of the papers on the desk and spread them out a little. “These are copies of all the local fugitive reports for the last several days.” He gestured toward Chrissy. “She's not in any of them.”


“So?”


“Well... if she's so dangerous and they've been looking so hard for her, why didn't they put her in the network? Wouldn't you think they'd want the other law enforcement agencies to watch out for her, too?”


The lieutenant looked thoughtful and shrugged. “That doesn't prove anything,” he replied.


“There's something else,” the officer continued, “While I was talking to the sheriff's office, I spoke to the dispatcher. She mentioned that they had no record of the sheriff's pursuit tonight. He never called it in or asked for back up.”


The lieutenant shrugged again. “It probably slipped his mind.”


“C'mon, Lieutenant. As soon as you turn your blue lights on - you call it in. That's standard procedure for every law enforcement agency in the country. Even a rookie knows that. Karl Horst is a twenty year veteran.”


“So, what are you getting at?” queried the lieutenant suspiciously.


“Well... it almost seems like they're trying to keep the hunt for this woman a secret. And if she's really such a dangerous fugitive, why would she come in here on her own?”


“Yes!” exclaimed Chrissy, “I wouldn't come in here if I was really wanted, would I?”


Are you telling me you believe her story?!” asked the lieutenant incredulously, “Do you want me to send a SWAT team over to the Spencer County Sheriff's Department and arrest the lot of them?!”


“Of course not, Lieutenant.” responded the officer, “But... why don't we take her into custody ourselves instead of turning her over to those deputies. We can hold her for twenty-four hours without charging her. In the meantime, I can take a ride out to that farm where she says her daughter is at and check things out. I'll ask a few questions while I'm out there and see what people have to say.”


YES!” blurted Chrissy, “Lock me up here! I'm okay with that! Just don't turn me over to those b******s.”


“Well...” the lieutenant looked thoughtful for a moment, “I don't see any harm in it, I guess. But take another officer with you when you go. Just in case.” Then he pointed toward Chrissy. “Now... we just need a reason to hold her.”


“That's easy,” responded Chrissy. She reached across his desk and lightly slapped his face. “How about assault?”



© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Suggestions and constructive criticisms are always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

For a second there, I really thought Chrissy's story had come to an end! Nice use of logic to get her out of that bind. Although, I can't see an officer and his lieutenant having this conversation with the suspected criminal in the same room.... But this is a good chapter nonetheless.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the review.



Reviews

as always this is a good chapter. My apologies for being MIA, I have been moving...from Missouri to Alaska.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Wow! That's quite a move! Thanks for continuing to read. Chrissy gets a big surprise in the next .. read more
Good chapter. I enjoyed it. The ending was a bit of good humor.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

For a second there, I really thought Chrissy's story had come to an end! Nice use of logic to get her out of that bind. Although, I can't see an officer and his lieutenant having this conversation with the suspected criminal in the same room.... But this is a good chapter nonetheless.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the review.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

758 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 2, 2013
Last Updated on November 2, 2013
Tags: mother/daughter, motorcycle, chase, roadtrip, Amish, adopted, adoption, drugs, drug gang, gangsters


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


10. Depression 10. Depression

A Chapter by Craig2591


10. Surprise 10. Surprise

A Chapter by Craig2591