One Last Kiss

One Last Kiss

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston
"

Chapter 33 of Love from Above

"

The mountainous demons drag me back to the cell block. They steer me toward a cage next to the one Jeremy, Libby, and Janie are confined in. I struggle futilely to get in the same cell as them, but these brutes are too strong and I am tossed into the cell. My head whacks against the rocky floor, and my world goes black.

 

As I drift into a possible coma, I dream. I dream of the recent weeks I’ve spent with Jeremy. I catch a taste of reality as tears trickle down my unconscious face. The realization that those weeks were my last with Jeremy, and it’s entirely my fault, bring me closer to emerging from the darkness. The realization that I’m wasting precious time with him pulls me awake completely.

 

Jeremy is staring at me, worry and terror on his soot smeared face. I press myself against the bars of my cage, stretching my arm out in an attempt to hold Jeremy’s hand. Our cages are mere centimeters too far apart.

 

“I’m so sorry Kelsey,” Jeremy whispers in a broken voice, dropping his outstreched hand into the dust.

 

“You’re sorry? For what? I’m the one who is getting you killed.” I say, sobbing at the thought that any moment could be our last together.

 

“My plan failed. I should’ve gotten you out when I had the chance. I’ve caused you such trouble. If we hadn’t met you’d be well on your way to being a guardian, you never would have made it onto Satan’s radar,” he says, agony plain on his face.

 

“Hey, look at me. I don’t regret a moment of it, do you hear me? I would rather die now than live a single day without knowing you.” I reply with a tiny smile. He returns it sadly.

 

“I hope he feels the same, because his time is up.” Gor scoffs, pointing down the corridor to a group of figures in black cloaks wheeling a cart behind them. Gor unlocks our cages and locks shackes around our wrists, connecting us together with thick iron chains. I stand next to Jeremy and lay my head on his shoulder, refusing to be separated from him. I notice Janie with her eyes closed and her forehead creased in concentration. Before I have a chance to mull over what she might be up to, we are loaded into the jail cell on wheels.

 

The four of us are carted off through a series of winding tunnels to a room clearly used for public executions. Jeremy, Libby, and I swallow hard at the sight of the full stadium seats surrounding a large lava pool. Janie still appears lost in whatever it is she’s doing. Jeering insults from the multitude of demons echo off the cavernous walls, creating a deafening roar in the large room.

 

We are marched up a winding staircase to a stone platform high above the bubbling pool. One hooded figure attaches more chains to our restraints, binding Janie, Libby, and I to the floor. Jeremy’s are attached to a track that extends out over the lava. Thousands of demons cheer from the stands, eager for their entertainment. Jeremy’s chain begins to pull him toward the ledge. He looks at me frantically, eyes wide with terror. I look back at him with a similar expression. We rush to the ends of our restraints, attempting to steal one last kiss.



© 2023 Zoey Balderston


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on March 31, 2014
Last Updated on October 24, 2023


Author

Zoey Balderston
Zoey Balderston

AZ



About
I'm a girl who absolutely loves to read, I often got yelled at to put the book away by my teachers. I am a huge art geek. Anything to do with art I'm all for! I write and draw whenever life allows tim.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston