The Truth

The Truth

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston
"

Chapter 22 of Love from Above

"

The ride home from the airport is quiet. I can feel waves of relief coming off Janie and Libby from the front seat. Jeremy and I are cuddled close together in the back seat, my head resting on his shoulder and my fingers intertwined with his. He kisses the top of my head, lips lingering as if he is afraid that I may still vanish at any moment. I close my eyes and sigh, exhausted and feeling like I’d just run a marathon, but content for the moment at least. I catch Janie and Libby stealing glances at us from the rearview mirrors. Janie’s eyes lock onto mine and I read the sympathy in them. The three of us know what comes next. Obviously, I have to tell him my secret now. Not only is he bound to be wondering how I possibly lived after that fall, but I’m also without a doubt, head over heels, in love with him. There’s no more avoiding the subject, I've run out of time. Today is the day I potentially lose him if he can’t accept the truth about me. The fact that I'm no longer broaching the subject on my own terms causes a stab of resentment toward Jaegar to coil in my gut. Libby swings the car into the driveway and we all pile out. 

 

"We're so glad you don't have to move Jeremy," Janie says, giving his free hand a squeeze.

 

"Yeah," Libby replies, punching my arm. "Kelsey would have been insufferable if you had left." I glare daggers at her but Jeremy and Janie chuckle softly. They are such turds. Janie and Libby wave and turn to head inside, leaving me and Jeremy alone in the driveway.

 

I wrap my free arm around my middle and inhale a shaky breath. "Go for a walk with me?" I ask, tugging his hand toward the forest in the direction of the cliffs we had visited that first night together. Jeremy hesitates for a moment, seemingly reluctant to relive the memory of the airport. After squeezing my hand again, as if to remind himself I am in fact still alive, he follows.

 

We walk the entire way in silence, Jeremy allowing me space to recollect my jumbled thoughts. We break through the tree line at the cliff edge, the moon hanging low enough that its reflection shines brightly across the waves below. A cool wind races up the rock face and whips across us.

 

“Can I ask the obvious question?” Jeremy says softly, giving my hand another gentle squeeze. I nod slowly without looking at him, already knowing what he is going to ask.

 

“How did you survive that fall?” He asks lightly, turning me so I face him. I sigh.

 

“It’s not something I can easily tell you. I'll have to show you. But first I have to know that you won’t tell anyone. If news of this ever got out, I would have to leave, forever,” I say, avoiding his eyes. He takes my chin gently into his hand, forcing me to look at him.

 

“You can trust me. I would never do anything to hurt you,” Jeremy punctuates his proclamation with a peck on my trembling lips. I release his hand and step over to the extreme edge of the rock, staring down at the roiling black waves for a moment. I take a deep breath and look over my shoulder at Jeremy, standing behind me looking very confused.

 

“I know I can trust you, but do you trust me?” I ask, near tears at what I am about to do. He nods vigorously. I take one more deep breath and turn back to face the vast sky. I lean forward slightly and let myself fall.



© 2023 Zoey Balderston


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on March 31, 2014
Last Updated on October 24, 2023


Author

Zoey Balderston
Zoey Balderston

AZ



About
I'm a girl who absolutely loves to read, I often got yelled at to put the book away by my teachers. I am a huge art geek. Anything to do with art I'm all for! I write and draw whenever life allows tim.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston