Snooping

Snooping

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston
"

Chapter 10 of Love from Above

"

Jeremy’s Point of View

 

That night, I have a dream. It’s a weird dream, I’ll admit, but a good one nonetheless. It is way farfetched, as many dreams are. As you can imagine, the dream is about Kelsey.

 

In the dream, I was standing on the edge of the cliffs where Kelsey and I had come to watch the sunset. In the dream it is also sunset, and I watched the beautiful bright colors dancing on the waves. But then something even more beautiful caught my attention. I spotted Kelsey, only she wasn’t entirely the Kelsey I was coming to know. The only difference was, this Kelsey had huge black wings on her back and was flying out over the ocean.

 

I know, overactive imagination much?

 

There she was, wheeling through the sky, looking like an angel more beautiful than any depiction I’ve ever seen. That was the extent of the dream, me watching this glorious creature fly.

 

I smile in my sleep.

 

***

 

Okay, I know it’s wrong to snoop, but since I was having no luck falling asleep, I couldn’t help myself.

 

Janie and Libby are back at the house, sound asleep. As is everyone in Jeremy’s house. I pop out my wings and fly silently through Jeremy’s open window, landing with barely an “oof”. I straighten up and feel my wings dissolve into my back. I turn to be sure I didn’t wake Jeremy, and my breath catches in my lungs.

 

He looks so young and peaceful with his hair tousled around his sleeping face. Slowly, I sink down onto the sofa, careful not to make the slightest inkling of noise. Jeremy mumbles my name and I tense up, thinking he has caught me and wracking my brain for some way to explain my presence without sounding like a complete loon. But then he snuggles back into his pillow and smiles. My heart swells and I yearn to just cross the room and crawl into the safety and warmth of his arms. It makes me feel so lightheaded to know he is dreaming about me.

 

I can’t help but wonder what the dream is about. Hopefully it’s something good. Though I would guess it is because of the smile still dancing on his lips. I sigh then quickly shut up as the sound causes him to stir.

 

Right now, sitting in the dark watching this amazing guy dream about me, I wish so damn bad I could tell him my secret. He seems like a super understanding person, but even he has to have his limits. It's not like I can start a conversation with 'hey I like you, by the way, I'm not human'. How could anyone be expected to understand that?

 

I sit there, thinking about the possibility of Jeremy accepting me, feathers and all, for what feels like an eternity. Eventually, not wanting to press my luck of being discovered, I stand up from the couch, climb back out the window and head across the street to my house. I fly back in through my open window and kick off my shoes. Before collapsing into bed, I look at the clock.  It’s just after one in the morning. No wonder I’m so stiff and tired. I have been watching Jeremy sleep for over an hour.

 

Jeez I sound like such a stalker.

 

I turn to my dresser to get my jammies on when Libby’s voice scares the bejeezus right out of me.

 

“So, what have you been up to?” Libby asks, flicking on the lights.

 

“Jeesh Libby! Don’t scare me like that!” I say, clutching my chest where my heart is trying to fly out of it. She raises one eyebrow and crosses her arms at me, meaning she won’t leave until I answer her question. I sigh. “Okay fine, I was at Jeremy’s house,” she keeps her gaze locked on me, eyebrows raised, waiting for me to go on. “I was just thinking, about stuff, while he was asleep,” I try to not sound like a total creep. “He said my name,” I whisper the last part. That thaws her out. She crosses the room and sits on the bed, dragging me along with her. She then proceeds to make me give her a five-minute description just on what his facial expression was.

 

“What do you think he was dreaming about?” She asks, bouncing a little on my bed. What can I say, the girl loves juicy gossip.

 

“I have no idea. I’m hoping he might bring it up tomorrow, but I’m never going to make it to tomorrow if you don’t let me get to sleep.” I reply, exasperated.

 

“Alright, alright,” she says as she backs out of the room. “Just stay in bed this time.” She winks and shuts the door before I can reach for something to throw at her.

 

I roll my eyes in her general direction and change into my pj’s before collapsing into bed. I fall asleep quickly, my anxieties causing me to drift into a nightmare of Jeremy being horrified at finding out my secret. I toss and turn half the night, my mind going into overdrive throwing every worst-case scenario in my face. Finally, as the sun begins to rise, the nightmares subside and I finally slip fully into unconsciousness.



© 2023 Zoey Balderston


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on March 30, 2014
Last Updated on October 24, 2023


Author

Zoey Balderston
Zoey Balderston

AZ



About
I'm a girl who absolutely loves to read, I often got yelled at to put the book away by my teachers. I am a huge art geek. Anything to do with art I'm all for! I write and draw whenever life allows tim.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston