Ch. 2

Ch. 2

A Chapter by Zman135

    What an odd dream, I thought throwing my legs over the side of my bed while rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.
    I looked up from my grass green carpet and up to my sky blue room, it looked so much like the light... don’t be nieve Laken, it was only a dream, I told myself with finality, mainly because I didn’t want to get my hopes up for nothing, but I couldn’t knock off the fact that I did feel different after the dream. I mean, how can you not think what if in this type of situation? While I was attempting to sort out fact from reality my door swung open.
    “Laken, Matthew will be here to pick you up in half an hour so you better hurry and get cleaned up!” My mom spoke softly but with a sarcastic tone.
    “Mkay mommy!” I chimed and made my way into the bathroom.
    Once I got in and shut the door I got into the shower. As I turned the water on I felt a little cautious, half expecting something to happen. Alas, it turned out to be a normal shower with average results.
     "Oh well," I thought a little disappointed, "I guess it was just a dream..."
     I bent over to turn of the water and as soon as I put my hand on the knob the water shut off, sending me back in surprise. And when my hand left the knob, the water returned to flowing normally. I quickly but shakily reached out and turned the water off and jumped out of the shower.
     "I'm sure it was just my imagination playing tricks on me, that's gotta be it!" I thought skeptically, walking over to the sink to brush my teeth.
     But the single thought, "What if it is real Laken, what if you're just afraid to accept it?", through my head. 
     After a few moments of thought I decided, "Only one way to find out..."
     I hesitantly turned the water on and nothing seemed to happen. I quickly sighed, telling myself I was relieved but mostly disappointed.
     I gave the steady stream of water a disapointed stare, "I should’ve known nothing would happen, I’m just Laken; simple and nothing specia-"
    And then my thought process just kinda broke. That’s the only way I know how to put it, it just went kaplooy. I was mesmerized by the water shooting in every direction when I focused on it at one point. It was just like someone was putting an invisible spoon under the stream. I let out a tiny hysterical laugh and the water began to turn into mist as soon as it left the faucet, quickly filling the room. As the cloud expanded over the window letting in the morning sun, a rainbow ricocheted all throughout the room.
     "How am I doing this! It's all so unbelievable!!!" I stammered, and then felt sick so I sat down.
    I realized that doing all of this took a lot of energy and that I should probably rest for a moment and get my thoughts together. I sat down and let everything hit me, and as all the emotions rolled over me, the water reverted to a steady stream.
    “How in the world???” I thought out-loud, confused. Why did the water go back to normal when I stopped being so giddy. And then it hit me; the water changes to my emotion.
    I stood back up and mentally checked what I had already gone through;

    . Focus/Determination = physical control of the water
    . Joy = Mist
    . Too many emotions to list at once or none at all = nothing
   
    So in order to control this, I have to be able to channel emotion to the water, and then see what happens, I thought as I got back up and looked at the steady stream.
    I began to summon every ounce of anger held in my body; the only time I could ever remember being angry was when we had went to Kings Island on my 8th grade trip and one of our friends wouldn’t ride any of the roller-coasters. It was the only time I ever remember yelling at someone and it made him runaway crying. As I channeled my emotion the water began to change, shrinking back into the spout. At first I was slightly confused but I kept building up the anger and then I realized it was hardening; it was turning to ice.
    “I wonder if I can handle two emotions at once...” I began to focus on the ice, never relenting on my anger and it began to move, but stayed solid. I told it what to do in my head and it followed, creating a giant icicle that spiraled into the drain. Then I got super excited over my masterpiece and then it vanished into mist, and this made me sad because I worked so hard on it. As soon as the sadness entered my body a little gray cloud formed and began poring rain all over the bathroom, soaking me in the process. Finally I just let go of everything, completely drained by the energy it took to use my powers and all of the water went magically into the sink and into the drain, leaving me completely dry and more clean than I had ever been in my entire life.
    I simply threw on my clothes and thought about all that had happened, how could this be happening to me? Then I remembered who had given it to me.
    “Thank you God, I pray I can do your will with this gift you have placed upon me!” I spoke rather loudly.
     "What did you say Lakie?", my mom's voice echoed through the house, "you better be ready, Matt's probably out there waiting for you!!!"
    "Okay mommy, I'll be out in a second!" I yelled, running out of the bathroom and threw on my jacket at the front door.
     I was certain that I was late for Matt to pick me up, but as soon as I ran out the door, I noticed he wasn’t there. He was probably experiencing something just like I had.
    “Welp, looks like I’m gonna be here for a while!” I mused and sat down on my front porch to see fog beginning to roll off the hills, possibly a result of my amusement.


© 2010 Zman135


Author's Note

Zman135
I know it's a lot later than planned but I just wanted to be sure I was going at the story from the right angle ^_^ (I also edited and fixed up the kinks it had before)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Welp, it's official: Im hooked. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oops conflict*

Posted 13 Years Ago


Okay you have a lot of good ideas and can definitley keep the story interesting. But it seems almost like you are hurrying through the chapters really fast. Maybe try slowing it down and being more descriptive? Also, let the discovery of their powers be more gradual, taking more time to figure out how to control it. That adds more suspense and cnoflict into the story. Overall, very well written and I'll read till the end

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
3 Reviews
Added on December 8, 2010
Last Updated on December 22, 2010


Author

Zman135
Zman135

Prestonsburg, KY



About
Hey, I'm Cole. I'm 17 and I attend Prestonsburg High School where I'm a senior. I've learned fairly recently that even best friends come and go so treat them like they'll be gone tomorrow. I'm a Chri.. more..

Writing
Ch. 1 Ch. 1

A Chapter by Zman135