Chapter I : At The Beginning

Chapter I : At The Beginning

A Chapter by Yuki Wood

Today is the 24th of May and we - my classmates and I, are about to go home since its already 7:30 pm and our dismissal time. I'm currently on my last year of college and is graduating in 2 days. For the last 3 days, my classmates and I have been practicing our graduation march. Our professor says that its important to do it so we don't mess up on the actual day. After 7 years of college, I'm finally going to be a licensed OBGYN but alas, 2 more days.

I picked up my bag and wore it on my left shoulder. I bid my friends good bye and started walking to the parking lot. I took the car keys out of my pocket and unlocked the car. I went inside, started it and drove home. It took me about 20 minutes to reach home since it was a bit traffic. I parked the car inside the garage and went inside the house. As I go near the dinning room, the smell of Italian Pasta calls my stomach. I gave my bag to Hayate, our butler, and told him to please put my bag in my room. I proceeded to the dinning room and found my Dad waiting for me to eat.

'I see that your back from school'. He kissed my cheek, gestured to sit me down and started to eat.

'Anything new today?'

'Not much. Still practicing. You? Was there any complications at the office?' I said and asked in one breath. He chuckled.

'No don't worry. Everything's fine.'

'Okay. Just tell me if there's any complication and I'll be there in 2 seconds' I told him, grinning at the last words.

'Gotcha'.

We talked and ate for a few minutes and headed to bed. Dad said that he still needed to finish a few things and I offered to help him. He waved his hand and said to not worry since its only a few things and he can handle it. I nodded, kissed his cheek and bid him good night. I walked to my room and went inside. I went to the bathroom and took a quick shower. I looked at the clock. 8:50... Hmm.. What can I do for the remaining 40 minutes?. I wore my silk, knee length night gown. I opened my desk lamp and read my remaining paper work.

I was only 15 years old when I started working for my uncles company. He runs a publishing house that has been standing for more than 19 years. I work for him as a novel editor and receive about 100 to 300 pounds or sometimes even more. The authors that I work with is of high ranking so it pretty much means getting a lot of money.

When I have time or if my Dad need help, I do some of the paper works or maybe the marketing or enterprises, stocks or even business meeting for him. My Dad is a very busy person and I do everything I can do to help him. I was able to learn management from him and my private tutors while I was in my 4th year of high school until my 2nd year of college.

I took the papers on my desk and proceeded to finish some, if I manage to get anything done. I looked at the calendar and read the dates of the novels that i was going to edit and my other schedules.

June 2  - Author: Mr. Thompson Lapps. Novel: Midnight Madness.

June 7 - Author: Mr. Leon Mayford. Novel: Pandemonium

June 10 - Author: Ms. Jean Lofter. Novel: 54 Days

June 12 - Flight to New York and go to NY Publishing.

June 14 - go back to home.

June 15 - start of OBGYN job.

June 20 - business meeting at Tiffany's.

As I read through my schedule, I noticed  that I didn't even have one work free day.

'I supposed I can work on Pandemonium since im done with Mr Lapps'. I said to myself.

Mr Mayford and my Dad are close friends and, if im mistaken, are planning to have a business partnership. My Dad discussed it to me the other day and said that it was only a thought and hasnt been set to motion yet.

I read Pandemonium for 15 minutes and started to edit it. Before I knew it minutes turned to hours.

I started at 8:50 and ended 10:50. I was planning to sleep earlier but I got to absorbed in doing my editing work. I scanned my work for the last time and when I was contented with it, I set it down, turn my lamp and room light off and went to sleep. I dragged the blanket to cover my body from my toes up to my neck. After a few minutes I fell asleep.

I woke up the following morning, hearing my alarm at 5:30 am. As soon as I woke up, I took a showing and wore my clothes. I wore fitted skinny jeans, a slightly fitted shirt with long sleeves and black flat shoes. I opened my bag and scanned for the things that I needed to bring. I took the work that I did last night, slid it in a big envelop and carefully placed it in my bag to avoid crumpling. I wore my bag, took my black coat and headed downstairs. I went to the living room to get the car keys. As I enter the living room, I saw a note on the small table beside the couch with the car keys on it.


I left earlier than usual. The meeting was scheduled earlier than planned because of the  upcoming partnership. Can you pick me up after school? I didnt bring the car since I was picked up by Mayford.

Good luck in school

Love Dad.


I folded the note, slid it in my pocket and grabbed the car keys. As soon as I exited the gate, I stopped by Starbucks and had a quick breakfast. I bought mochachino, hot of course, and one cinnamon roll. After my quick breakfast, I drove to school for 10 minutes and parked the car.

I went to our classroom and as usual was the earliest. After a few minutes my classmates arrived and the day began. As hours go by, our last practice finally finished and our teacher said to head to our classroom because she wanted to say something to us. We headed to our classroom and waiting for our teacher. She arrived 5 minutes after we went into our classroom and brought our caps and toga. She had one of my classmates help her distribute and check if there was anything wrong with it.

'Okay everyone. Im very happy for all of you and very thankful for the wonderful year that we've been together. You are finally graduating tomorrow and will be starting your careers in life. May the graduation ceremony proceed tomorrow in ease and I look forward to seeing you all tomorrow. Your dismissed. Be at the graduating halls at 2 pm.'

After she talked to us, she bid us good bye and left the classroom. Our classmates and I said good bye to each other and left the classroom. I went to the my locker, got all the things that I left and locked it again. I hurried to the business office and surrendered my locker key for the last time. I said good bye to the teacher in charge and quickly left the office. I sped up my walking when I was almost out of the school and slightly ran to my car. I went in and before I could leave, some of my classmates and other medical students bid me farewell for the last time. I responded to them by waving my hand and smiling with utmost happiness. I released the break and left the school grounds. I drove to my Dad's company, which took me 30 minutes. I went to the basement and parked the car. I greeted the security guard and went up the building. I greeted and responded to the greetings of the people who greeted me when I was in the elevator and when I passed every office. Once I arrived at the 28th floor, which is 2nd to the highest, I said hello to the secretary and asked if my Dad was available. She said yes and walked my way in to his office.

'Hi Dad'. I said, closing the door.

'Ah, I see your here.' he replied while signing papers. 'Im almost finished'.

'Did I come to early?. I can come back later if your still working you know.'

'No. It okay. This is my last work for the day. Im taking the others home since Im gonna have to discussed this through the phone with Mayford'. He stood up, gathered the remaining paper work and placed it inside his suitcase-like bag.

'Hey Dad?. Wanna have dinner? It is already 8:30 so..'

'Is it okay with you? Arent you tired? Do you want me to drive?'

I laughed. 'Dont worry Dad, Im okay. Lets go. Im hungry' I smiled and grabbed his bag as he grabbed mine. We made our way to the basement, went inside the car and proceeded to our favorite restaurant. It was a 10 minute drive to Tiffany's. As soon as we arrived, I parked the car and we went inside the restaurant. We went to our usual table, which is exclusively for V.I.P.'s so we were in a private dinning room. It wasn't that big but was enough for 4 to 5 people. When the waiter entered our room, he brought a bottle of champagne and wine that we always order, took our order and exited the room.

'How was the meeting with Mr Mayford?'. I asked curiously.

'It was good. The meeting lasted for about 2 hours and a half. So far we're setting the gears in motion. The paper work that I was signing earlier was the partnership papers. Im going to send it in tomorrow and we'll discuss the remaining things that need to be finished'. He poured wine into glass.

'I see. Well good luck with that. Remember, Im always here when you need help'. I smiled and gestured my glass to him since I wanted to drink wine as well. He smiled back and poured wine into my glass.

'Oh yes, before I forget. Tomorrow, after your graduation, Mayford said that he wanted to eat dinner with you. Call it a graduation present he said'.

'Hmmm.. Okay. Ill call him when I get home to confirm the location.'

I drank from my glass. Minutes later, our food was brought in and we ate while we talked about our day and about tomorrow's graduation. After we ate, we left and went to the car.

'Oh yeah. Dad? Can I go to the office first? I need to submit Mr. Mayford's Pandemonium novel, edited of course, before the deadline'. I started the car and started driving.

'Sure. As long as you let me drive home'. He said while reclining the chair and looking at me.

'Hmm.. Deal'. I kissed his cheek and drove to the publishing office.

When we got there, I got off the car, bag in hand, and went up. I headed straight to my uncle's office, left the envelop on the top of the table and wrote a note saying:


I finished this earlier that expected. Hope Mr. Mayford approve of the changes.

Love Xandra.


I placed the note on top of the envelop, locked the office and headed back down to the car. As expected, Dad was already in the drivers seat which means I wont be able to drive home. Though tired as I am, I still wanna drive so that dad wont have a hard time but it seem that it wont be happening anytime soon. I went and sat on the right side than on the left and headed home. After a few minutes, felled asleep during the trip home. Dad carried me from the car to my room and tucked me in. He kissed me good night and went to get some rest himself.

Despite being in deep sleep and having the effects of the champagne and wine on, I was unconsciously, thinking about the graduation and how excited I am for tomorrow.



© 2013 Yuki Wood


Author's Note

Yuki Wood
This is only the start of the book.
If its too boring then please forgive me. Im not used to typing it like this but i'll do my hardest to write my stories and be acknowledged for it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on November 11, 2013
Last Updated on November 12, 2013


Author

Yuki Wood
Yuki Wood

Paranaque City, NCR, Philippines



About
Im in a junior high school student. I love music and anime as well as writing books. more..

Writing