Chapter 13: A Narrow Escape (Fabrics of Time)

Chapter 13: A Narrow Escape (Fabrics of Time)

A Story by Xander West

Chapter Thirteen: A Narrow Escape

Our Day

I held you once in these tired arms,

If only I knew then what I now know,

I had you but only a mere moment,

I should have held you more long ago.

How could we know it would end so,

We had a moment and then you had to go.

 

But hearts only shatters when it’s too late,

Only knew love once you were taken away,

Only found my courage after we had our day,

I guess there could have been no other way.

 

So I say good bye but hold on to you,

Whisper farewell as I dream of your smile,

I carry on for as long as I can hold on,

Even if I only hold on a little while,

So I say good bye but hold on to you,

No moment of us would I ever undo.

 

But hearts only shatters when it’s too late,

Only knew love once you were taken away,

Only found my courage after we had our day,

I guess there could have been no other way.

Running in a dead spring towards the tent shared with princess, I drop to my knees with a sudden searing pain in my head.   The sudden memory of a woman I cannot recall, such affection that I cannot explain, leaves me struggling to find my legs as I attempt to stand up. 

 

Yet, I will myself to stand, stumbling towards the tent.  I can hear the sounds of battle starting in the distance, metal pounding against metal, screams of agony, echoing away.  I peer into the dark tent, but I do not see the girl sleeping in her cot.  My head is swimming with scenarios as I whisper harshly “Girl.”

 

I hear a slight rustle from the side of the tent and out appears the young princess, “about time you arrive.” 

 

“Let’s go” I state as I turn to walk away.  Within a few feet, I see a shadow running towards me, a man appearing wearing a cloak of a wolf, claws bouncing around his neck as lunges towards me.  With the quick step and stunt of my hand, I catch his throat with the hilt of one of my swords as a draw it out.

 

Trotting towards the edge of camp away from the sounds of battle, hoping to guide the princess to safety, I look for a way to cross the crude spikes forming a wall.   Finally, I find what I am looking for, a weak spot in the wall where the most of the wood is rotten.  With one kick of my muscled leg the wall rips apart. 

 

Looking outside, I see no signs of motion in either direction.  I can see the forest about 200 yards away from us, “Girl, we will need to run to cover.  Keep up and stay close.”  Without ever looking back, I take off running in a sprint.  No further than 50 yards into the sprint, six shadows materialize from the trees, spreading out in a line as jog slightly in our direction. 

 

I fill with rage, with love lost I from the women in my memory.  Such anger fills my soul, such red hot searing pain.  By the time I reach the first one, I am overcome with rage, literally decapitating the first man one smooth swing of a sword.  I can the next one in the chest, spearing with one sword and launching the other sword into the throat of the third.    Without slowing down I drop my shoulder into the fourth, a sturdy woman who is knocked cold with my forehead.  I catch the thrust of the fifth with my sword, a slice through the artery inside his thigh, rolling onto my feet in a crouched manner, looking for the sixth and last one. 

 

I turn to see the last man, wearing leather armor and wolf’s mane draping across his shoulders.   He holds a knife to the princess throat, staring at me with disbelief.   “I will…” he starts to stammer, I my knife is buried in his forehead to the hilt. 

 

“What if you missed and hit me?” The princess demands? 

 

“I didn’t.  Keep up.”  I turn to run into the woods.  A slow down in a quick walk , listening for any signs of warriors following us.   “We need to hurry and put distance between us and the attackers.  What is the quickest route to Castle Rock?” 

 

“The quickest or safest?” the princess responds. 

 

“Quickest.’ 

 

“Through the Pass of Giants, then around the Horn of Shades.  Three days if we are lucky.  But I highly suggest the route around the Great Divide.  No one takes the Pass of Giants.  Well, and lives to talk about it at least.” 

 

“Which direction to the Pass of Giants?’ 

 

“Northeast, towards that peak, the girls points to a great mountain towering above the others off in the distant. 

 

Sometime in mid-afternoon we come upon a small clear pond tucked away in the forest.  I can see the fish swimming and causing ripples across the water.  On cue my stomach growls as if a grizzly is living inside of me.   Princes Maleda laughs as the pulls out some string and within seconds is fishing in the pond.  Laughing I croak, “and what do you plan on doing with that?” 

 

Immediately she snags a large bream, pulling him to shore.  “I plan on feeding you” she laughs as I am speechless.

 

By sunset we practically have a feast.  I snared three rabbits and an oversized square.  She caught a dozen fish and rounded up a basket full of berries and nuts.  For the first time since I can recall, I have a full stomach resting next to warm fire.  As the night darkens I try to stay awake watching the girl sleep curled up next to me, but at some point I crashed. 

 

I awoke when the girl nudge me with her elbow and asked, “What is that?”   I look up into the distant sky to see a huge cloud of smoke blacking out the sky. 

 

“That would General Janus’s camp,”

 

“Do you think any of them are alright.?”

 

“I don’t know girl…. I dunno..” 

 

By mid-morning we are at the base of the mountains entering a pass with soaring cliffs on either side, a small stream running along the center with vegetation growing all along the stream’s edge until the rocks cut off the growth with the exception of scattered trees of the gigantic proportions.  The trunks alone are more massive than anything I have ever seen. 

 

“I see why you all call this the Pass of Giants”  I declare as we enter. 

“Actually, the trees have nothing to do with it….”  The princess mumbles to herself.  

 

Suddenly, one of the giant trees crashes down in front of us.  There on the other side stands a man, I think it is a man, but at least fifteen feet tall, with shoulders as wide a tree.  Heck, his legs are like trees.   It appears as if this giant was carved from the mountain side.  With a stare that sends chills down my back, he questions a bellowing voice “Who are you to enter my pass?”

 

The Art of my Lover

Butterflies dancing along with the thoughts of my mind,

Emotions fluttering along with the pounding of my heart,

Your enticing eyes sparkling  as they look into mine,

If only my words could match the beauty of your art.

 

How your curves seduce even the canvass,

Painting a masterpiece with the sway of your hips,

Driving my charmed soul to near madness,

Craving to taste the sweetness of your lips.

 

How the brushes simply stroke by magic,

As the artist admires your angelic face,

Every feature is altogether fantastic,

Every alluring curve I wish to trace.

 

How your eyes bewitch the paints,

Leaving me under the spell of your romance,

All my thoughts tied down by your restraints,

Yet constantly flowing through an unending dance.

 

How your smile captivates the impression,

My heart daring to leap at the chance,

Your desires have become my sole obsession,

As I stumble along under your trance.

 

How the smoothness of your skin lures the portrait,

Your kindred spirit captures my every thought,

Rocketing my terrified heart into an orbit,

To retrieve the romance of the moon you so sought.

 

To express the beauty of my love

I have only scratched the surface,

I would have to capture all the beauty above,

So my love constantly leaves me wordless.

© 2016 Xander West


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
Added on May 12, 2016
Last Updated on May 12, 2016

Author

Xander West
Xander West

Suffolk, United Kingdom



About
I lost my passion to write for several years, better yet, I ignored my passion to write for several years. I am only once again touching my surface. more..

Writing