Chapter Eight: A New Beginning (Fabrics of Time)

Chapter Eight: A New Beginning (Fabrics of Time)

A Story by Xander West

Chapter Eight:  A New Beginning

“Starting Anew”

The sinking sun eventually sets on us all,

Yet even distant stars can shine brightly,

And the moonlight will surely forever fall.

 

It's in darkness moments of our hard times,

That the faintest of the most distance stars,

Shine the brightest calming our weary minds.

 

It's In the most dreadful of life's moments,

The moon will cast its most brilliant scene,

And we each plead for our own atonement.

 

Only by passing through the dreary bleakness,

Can we truly ever see the beauty of night,

Beauty leaving even this poet speechless.

 

Yet surely as the sunset cannot forever last,

Tomorrow will always bring a vibrant sunrise,

All our troubles residing somewhere in the past.

 

No matter how dark your night may currently be,

Trust that the sun will surely shine eventuality,

Hold on to the fact that every life has its own beauty.

 

Tomorrow's sunrise may be solely for you,

Every hope of yours finally coming true, 

A fresh dawn filled with joy, all starting anew.

 

I wake up startled as if someone was after me, staring down upon me waiting for the right moment to take my life.  I look around, checking out my surroundings.  I am in a forest, the trees are thick, over-large for what I am used to see.  The trunks are massive, but not as large the trees in the red-wood forest.  I take a look at the leaves, looks like some type of oak tree that I am not familiar with.  The ground is quite open though, the massive trees overlapping ahead, as if they are each fighting to have their share of the sunlight.  The ground is damp, covered in years of decaying leaves; I don’t see much vegetation other than the trees and moss of the trunks. 

 

The forest is eerie quiet, I expect to hear birds and squirrels bustling overhead but all I hear is the wind rustling the braches overhead. I don’t recall how I got here.  In fact, I recall my name, but only bits of pieces of whole I am.  Confused I stand up, looking around as if I expect to see one. 

 

All alone, I strike our north.  At least I think its north, it is kind of hard to see the sun through the branches far above.  I have no clue where I am going, but I have an urge to find someone, to find something.  As hard I try to recall whom or what, it sits at the edge of my mind.  Walking north, looking for any clues as to where I am. 

 

After about an hour of walking I suddenly stop.   I don’t know how, or why, but I know someone is following me.  I can’t see them, but my senses tell me they are there.   I head east picking up my pace.  After a few hundred yards I see a ridge and I have a plan. 

 

Crossing over the ridge and walking into a sunken portion of the forest, I sprint as fast I can due south. I sprint until my lungs are burning for air, and then I suddenly veer to the back west slowing my pace.  I run back west, pouncing like a puma through the woods until I feel I retrace my steps far enough. 

 

With the patience of a skilled hunter, the soft steps of deceiving of a man my size I start to head north and east, looking for signs of the mysterious person tracking me. After a few moments I see a shadow moving as I come to stand still.  Leaning against a large oversize tree, I wait for the shadow to continue walking towards unaware of me.  I watch a young girl of no more than eight appears around the edge of trunk. 

 

“Why are you following me?” I ask the unsuspecting young girl.  I smile as the jumps off her feet, startled by my voice. 

 

“Why would I be following you?” She asked.  “Do you even know where you are going?” 

                

“I was heading north.  Alone” I growled back at the young girl I look her up and down.  She seems so scrawny; I can tell the ribs are showing in a young deprived body, covered in dirt and filth.   But it’s the eyes that startled me.  For the first time since I woke up, I recognize something.  Her eyes are so green, as if she has two emeralds for eyes, shining at me with mischief as if she is hatching a plan as we speak.  I know her eyes, but for the life I cannot recall where or how. 

 

“And why are you heading North” questions the young emerald-eyed girl. 

 

“I am looking for someone.”  I retort. 

 

“Who could you possibly seek up North?” presses the green-eyed girl. 

 

“A man about a dog” I growl as I turn to walk away. 

 

“That’s stupid.   There are plenty of dogs closer. “  she quips as she follows me.  “You could just head to the nearest village,; there are plenty of dogs there and less trouble.” 

 

“Why are you following me? “

 

“Because you are going to take me with you.  I will take me home to my mother.”  She answers as matter of factly. 

 

“Why would I take you with me or back to your home?”  I stop to stare into her mesmerizing eyes.   

 

“Simple, you don’t know where you are going.”  She replies with smirk. 

 

“And you do?”

 

“I know there is an impassable bog not far north of here.  There is a river due east with few fords and we should avoid the west until we past the badlands.” She states smugly. 

 

“Why should I listen to you” I retort

 

“Because you are looking for someone.  I can help you and in return you can help me. “ she bargains. 

 

“Fine.  You can follow me.”  

 

“How can I believe you?” she questions. 

 

I don’t know why I am listening to a child, but somehow I know I am fated to go with her.  As if our fates are somehow intertwined.  Besides, I have no clue where I am anyways.   With a sigh I respond, “You have my word. I am Ronan.  I give you my oath I will return to your home and mother.” 

Without a word she turns to head east towards the river.  After a few moments she quips over her shoulder, “I am glad that is settled.  I am Allita.” 

 

For hours we walk in silence, which is fine with me.  My mind is spinning my thoughts but none seem to connect.  I walk following my young guide, half oblivious to my surroundings.  Something about the girl puts me on guard and I don’t know why.  Something…..catches my attention out of the corner of my eye.  My senses come alive as I realize several men are tracking us from multiple sides.  “Girl, how long have we been followed? And are you with them?”  I demand.  

 

"I Already Knew"

How many times.....have I told you,

Every morning I wake with a smile,

In this world....with so very few,

From the first time our eyes met,

By the spark we felt....I already knew

 

I wait all alone.... every single day,

Waiting for your hands to find mine,

So I stumble down....this lonely pathway,

Longing for your kisses upon my lips,

Before this life of ours .....is swept away.

 

 

Every night I fall asleep....with loving tears,

Thinking of our days when we were one,

I'm still holding on to us....for all these years,

Dreaming of time where we slept as one,

Your sweet whisperings ....falling into my ear.

 

Yet I will continue.....to always tell you,

Every morning I wake with this smile,

Our love was always..... and forever true,

From the very first our eyes met,

By the spark we felt..... I already knew.

 

Next Chapter Nine:  A Delightful Memory

© 2016 Xander West


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on April 27, 2016
Last Updated on April 27, 2016
Tags: love, hope, adventure, passion, life, story, poem

Author

Xander West
Xander West

Suffolk, United Kingdom



About
I lost my passion to write for several years, better yet, I ignored my passion to write for several years. I am only once again touching my surface. more..

Writing