Chapter 5: A Last Embrace (Fabrics of Time)

Chapter 5: A Last Embrace (Fabrics of Time)

A Story by Xander West

Chapter 5:  A Last Embrace

 

“A Little More Time”

 

If only somehow I knew then,

The tragedy that was to come,

I would have held on longer,

Hoping to change the outcome.

 

I wish I would have kissed  you more,

Shared the loving thoughts on my mind,

Worked a little harder to make you laugh,

If only, if only we had a little more time.

 

Would ask all the questions I care to know,

Answered all the details you wanted to hear,

Experienced a few more new adventures,

I would have lived life with a little less fear.

 

I miss your voice whispering gently as I sleep,

How your hands caressing eased my mind,

How your eyes lit up with every word I spoke,

If only, if only we had a little more time. 

 

Months passed, Selena and I were inseparable.  We spent every moment we could with each other, exploring mountains, vacationing to the beach, sleeping in holding each other, curled up on the couch watching movies.  We finally had found are other half, we complimented each other’s strengths and weaknesses perfectly.

 

One morning we spontaneous decidedly to explore a mountain trail with some hot springs. As I drove, Selena caressed my thigh, whispered into my ear, giggled as I blushed.   “What was the best day of your life?” she asked. 

 

“Simple.  The day I met you.”  I answered without thinking, eyes still straight ahead.

 

“What is the most beautiful thing you have seen in all your travels?” she inquires?

 

“Your eyes.  I am speechless each time I stare into them. “I explain. 

 

“If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you wish to go?”  she continues her query.

 

“By your side.” 

 

“Seriously!” She slaps my thigh and turns away. 

 

“Fine, I want to explore New Zealand….with you by my side. “  I chuckled. 

 

“I love “but before she could finish the last of the three words I never tired of hearing her speak, I heard a loud of squeal of breaks, and felt the impact of a vehicle colliding into my rear left side.   I tried to straight the vehicle but momentum took us into the on-coming traffic.  Again, I heard squeals followed by darkness.

 

With ringing in my ears as if an IED just exploded mere feet from me, I awake immediately checking out my surroundings.   I count 4 vehicles totaled, mine as if we drove through a compacter.  The windshield is all but gone, covering Selena and I, the engine exposed along with what looks like a bent axle.  My heart leaps with dread as I check the pulse of my love.  Sighing with relief to feel a pulse, slight but alive. 

 

I spring up; only to my surprise my body doesn’t move.  I see I am covered in blood, but too much adrenaline is running through my body for me to recognize any pain.  I slam into the door several times, until I jar it open.  Crawling, half walking, leaning against my jeep that is smoking, the fumes of gasoline alerting my senses of the danger.  I wonder around to passenger door, pull, pull but it is simply crushed.  No matter how much strength I call upon, I cannot open the door to get to my love.

 

I crawl on top on the hood, reaching in through the broken windshield, ripping the seat belt off the wall mount.  I can feel the remaining pieces of the windshield’s glass tearing into my skin as I cradle Selena in my arms.  Carefully, I pull my love from the now burning car.  I stumbled as I walk towards the green grass sprinkled with yellow dandelions.  I softly lay her down safe from the danger, resting in a field of flowers and green. 

 

“Selena?”  “ Selena, I need you. “ 

 

My heart leaps with joy as she opens her eyes.  I wrap my arms around her, press my head against hers and cry with relieve, whispering “all will be well, all will be well.”   Somewhere in the background, I hear the crying of a young child.  The cries are muffled by the commotion and the ringing in my ears, but its sounds like the cries of girl. 

 

I feel Selena’s hand wrap around my head, as she whispers into my ear.  “Go.  Go save her.”  I look into her eyes, not wanting to let go.  “Go Ronan, I will be here.  She needs you.”  With a longing  look, I stare into her icy blue eyes, my fingers all but dragged away from her hand as I turn back running into the flames of the wreckage.   I rummage through car to car until I hear the source of the cries. 

 

In the back of gray minivan, I couldn’t  tell you the model for not much is left, I see a young girl, no more than 8, long dark hair, pale skin, eyes as green as bright emeralds.  I glance at the front seat, but with one look I know the mother is gone.  I pry open the side door, sliding it open.  “Sweetie, it’s ok.  Come with me.”

 

“What about my mom” the emerald-eyed little girl whimpers. 

 

“Sweetie.  I will come back.  But first, I need to get you to safety.”  I pull the girl into my arms, as light as bag of potatoes, shivering in fear, beaten, bruised already.   I can hear the flames growing louder as I turn to head back to the green field cover with dandelions. 

I take a few steps before I hear the hiss, feel the percussions coming; instinctively I wrap the girl into my chest as the waves tear into my body. With the last on my strength, I curl to the ground, shielding the emerald-eyed girl whispering all will be well.  Silence.

 

Ringing.  Damn that ringing.  I want to sleep.  Sleep?  Selena?  The little girl?  I’m thinking but I simply can’t move; my body seems dead.  Sleep. 

 

I can hear muffled voices in the distance.  I recognize one, I know him.  I just can’t recall it.  “What do you mean, you don’t know!”  “You are the doctor, save him!” “Do something!” exclaims the gruff angry male. 

 

“Honestly?” replied another voice.  “I don’t know how he is alive.  The amount of blood he lost, the explosions, burns.  He has glass literally buried inside him. ““I am sorry.  I have done all I can.  It is up to fate now. “  

 

F**k me I think.  What about Selena.  How is she?!?  Selena? 

 

“Fine.  That man is too stubborn to die anyways. “   “What of the girl?” demand the gruff voice. 

 

Yes.  Yes, what of the girl.  What of Selena.  I can feel my heart starting to race. 

 

“She is fine.  Some bumps and bruises, but nothing more.”  “He shielded her from the blast, his body taking almost all of the damage.  She owes her life to him.”

 

“And the mother?’ continues the gruff voice.

 

“I am sorry.  She died on impact.  It seemed quite quick from the autopsy. “ 

 

The green-eyed little girl?   She lived.  What of Selena.  Damn it….Tell me.  I can hear alarms going off and a shuffle of steps before I lose conscience again.  Silence.

 

Pain.   All I feel is pain.  My entire body burns, my chest feels as if I was run over by a tank.  I need to wake up.  I need to find Selena. 

 

Summoning all my strength I open my eyes.  Good thing I didn’t try to move my fingers, I don’t think I could have.  Looking around the room, standard hospital room, standard bed, still better than things I slept on in Afghanistan.  The room is covered in flowers, more flowers and even more flowers. .  Geez, did people think I was dying? 

 

There in the corner, in a chair asleep sits the gruff voice.  Mac.    By the looks of his unshaven face, and upkeep clothes, he has been here several days.  Damn good man.   I try to talk but, I only get out a growl.  But the noise was enough to wake up Mac.   With a quick motion he is up, grabbing my hand. 

 

“Strike?”  “How do you feel boss?” 

 

I managed to gurgle “I can’t feel any worse than you look”. 

 

Mac smiles, “Well, if that is the case, you are doing damn well.  You look a bag of purple s**t with tubes growing out of it.”

 

Gripping my friend’s hand, I ask what I am dreading.  “Mac, how she is she?” 

 

Lower his head, Mac whispers “You saved the little girl’s life.  I saw her dancing with other little girls yesterday.  She is doing well.  Another soul owes you their respect. “ 

 

“Damn it Mac!  Where is Selena?” 

 

I already know the answer by watching the tears run down my friend’s cheeks.  Through all the hell we have been through together, not once have I seen him cry.  Not once did his words falter or stumble.  “I am sorry my friend.  Selena did not make it.  I carried body myself to the grave, I spoke of your love, the time you shared, the changes she sparked in you and the passion you had for each other.  I know I could never do justice, but I tried by best.  Forgive me for not being there.  I should have been there. “

 

“No.  No.  No.  No.  I refused. No. No.”  For hours I refused to acknowledge the truth.   All the pain I felt in my body forgotten, forgotten by the shattering of my heart.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

“How Could Fate”

 

How could fate been so wrong,

How could such dark pain be allowed,

The absence of you splintered me apart,

My love you have forever I vowed.

You will always reside inside my heart. 

 

How could fate been so wrong,

We were meant to be one for eternity,

I saw our dance among the stars above,

The wind sang our passionate melody,

The flowers blossomed with our love.

 

How could fate been so wrong,

You should be asleep on my chest,

As I kiss your lips, whisper in your ear,

But with your love I was blessed,

Even if you are no longer here.

 

How could fate been so wrong,

I still think of you all day long,

As birds and I whisper our sad song.

 

Next, Chapter 6:  The Vow

© 2016 Xander West


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on April 21, 2016
Last Updated on May 10, 2016
Tags: love, loss, death, sorrow, passion

Author

Xander West
Xander West

Suffolk, United Kingdom



About
I lost my passion to write for several years, better yet, I ignored my passion to write for several years. I am only once again touching my surface. more..

Writing