Just Hang In There

Just Hang In There

A Chapter by Tori
"

so yeah. Reveiws would be cool. If you want. I'd just like to know someone's opinon on whether or not the storyline was ok or anything. Sorry to ask :P

"

              The cold air bit my skin as I ran full speed towards the school. It was only a 7 mile run. Yeah. Only seven miles, I thought bitterly. I winced as the sharp pain of rocks imbedded into my bare feet intensified. I hadn’t bothered to put on shoes. Or even a jacket for that matter. I had to get to the school immediately.

                “F**k,” I murmured under my breath. It was freezing. I was in a pair of boxers and a baggy Marilyn Manson t-shirt that was 3 sixes too big. I turned my attention away from the chilling air and focused on the current issue.

                I wasn’t sure why I had reacted the way I had. I mean, hearing someone had died could put anyone on edge but…this wasn’t normal. I didn’t take the time to ask them what they were doing at school so late.  Right after Essie and Raven said he was dead, I took off, leaving the phone hanging from the line. I hadn’t even stopped to tell Dusty where I was going. He wouldn’t much care, I supposed. He was too baked to notice if the house was on fire, much less whether or not I was gone.

                Upon my arrival at the school, I ran into Crane standing outside the front doors. He looked anxious. When he noticed me, bare skinned and out of breath, his eyes widened.

                “You scared me,” he mumbled. I didn’t reply, instead, I motioned for him to show me where they found the body. He nodded and took off running down the hall. Though my legs were numb and my feet were bleeding, and my lungs were about to collapse due to the strain, I followed him in hot pursuit.

                The twists and turns of the hall seemed endless. It was like a maze. Though in my 3 years of attending this school, and my knowledge on every crook and cranny of the place, none of it seemed familiar. Finally we came to a stop in front of the boy’s restroom on D-hall. It was closed, due to none of the toilets working right despite endless maintenance. I brushed passed Crane and dashed into the bathroom.

                It was horrifying. The worst sight I had ever seen in my life. Though my stomach was built of steel, several heaves threatened to surface. It wasn’t really due to the amount of blood, but the realization that this person was unmistakably dead. Essie and Raven were sitting several feet away from him, trying not to touch the growing pool of blood. No one spoke. I stepped closer to him, afraid of what might happen.

                I tried my best to steady my breath as I tucked his hair aside, taking a better look at his face. It was absolutely matted in blood. I could feel the sticky substance in his hair as well. I gasped and jerked my hand away, which was now crimson. I touched the back of his head and quickly realized where the injury had happened.

                “W-what happened to him?” Raven whimpered from the corner. Her eyes were wide in terror.

                “I bet he was murdered,” Essie spoke grimly. Raven squealed and began to cry, her sobs similar to the desperate cries of a mouse. I glared at Essie.

                “Don’t scare her, dumbass! He wasn’t murdered, Raven. He hit his head on the sink,” I pointed out, indicating the blood smears on the back of the porcelain sink. I noticed the cracks and missing portions. “He hit it pretty hard, too. Some chunks are missing from it.”

                I fought hard to mask the terror and sorrow I was feeling. It was raging through my veins like a wildfire. Why was I become so distraught over this? I didn’t even know him. I had only talked to him twice in my entire life. He even called me stupid. I should be pissed. But…I wasn’t. I was in a panic. I had to figure out what to do.

                “How long ago did you guys find him?” I asked firmly.

                “Bout  an hour or so ago. Jade, I’m scared! Is he gonna be ok?” Raven murmured.

                “I…I don’t know,” I said truthfully. “I really don’t know.”

                I wasn’t sure what instinct or inner voice told me to do it, but I placed my hand on his chest. I hadn’t thought about it, it just sort of…happened. I let it lie there, honoring his death. Or holding it back. Holding back his soul to keep it from leaving him. If it left, he would really be dead. I already knew he was, but some part of me didn’t want to believe it. Suddenly I cried out, jerking my hand away from him as fast as I could.

                “What? What’s the matter Jade?

                I stared at his blood soaked body in disbelief.

                “I-I don’t believe this s**t!” I exclaimed.

“What is it?”

                I dug inside my pocket and pulled out a dollar bill. I handed it to Essie. “Go get a bottle of water.”

                She looked at me puzzled. “What the hell for?”

                “Just do it!” I screamed. Raven and Crane followed after Essie as she took off down the hallway. The nearest vending machine was on B hall, so she had a good ways to go. Once she was gone, I looked down at Devon’s body. Through the blood and dirt, I could tell his face was peaceful.

                “Don’t worry,” I whispered. “You’re going to be ok. Just hang in there.”  



© 2011 Tori


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on February 16, 2011
Last Updated on February 16, 2011


Author

Tori
Tori

A little town where the dead come out to play, GA



About
Don't click here! Alright, Hello Everybody! Um I love to read, write, and draw and I hope to become a artist or graphic designer. I also Hope to become and Author and open my own Tattoo Parlor one.. more..

Writing
Mary Jane Mary Jane

A Poem by Tori