the first time

the first time

A Poem by willweb

~

I'll never forget
the first time I kissed you
I know that I asked
and you said okay

Your lips were so soft,
the moment enchanting
That wonderful feeling
took my breath away

I stood there and stared,
your eyes captivating
Your smile my dream
as my heart it did fill

I'll never forget
the first time I kissed you
Oh how I do wish
I were kissing you still

~

© 2024 willweb


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a beautiful, sweet, tender, warm, romantic poem! A first love remembered in spite of the passing of time. We never forget our first love, they linger forever in our hearts and minds. I actually love the syntax "as my heart it did fill". It's olde English and I love to read olde English. You describe your beloved so finely that your words created a picture of the gorgeous lady who lives in your heart. I love the simplicity of the poem, it is very appealing to me. Thank you for sharing, Willweb.

Posted 3 Months Ago


willweb

3 Months Ago

Thank you Marie. I just adore your review of my poem because it speaks so many truths. The do linger.. read more
Marie

3 Months Ago

Most welcome, dear Willweb. Poets, I believe, should write to suit themselves and produce the best p.. read more
I literally cringed at the line, "as my heart it did fill". I despise that sort of syntax...i.e. "They did go", "He did say" "It did run" because to me it always sounds like it should be; "They went", "He said", and "It ran". And no amount of "poetic license" will ever alter my judgement on that. But Bob Dylan did it too. In, "All Along the Watchtower" he wrote, "outside in the cold distance, a wildcat did growl" I want to ask Bob, Did it? The wildcat growled. The only way I could find the usage permissible is in a rebuttal of a contrary statement such as, if one person says it didn't rain last night and another replies, "But it (did) rain." Otherwise, it simply rained and the past tense is appropriate. If it sounds forced, fake and foreign to my ear, I begin to think the author has simply lost hope looking for a suitable phrase. But, opinions vary as much as tastes so I'm certain there are many who will claim a piece of quartz is just as elegant as a diamond because they're both just rocks. I seem to run into that sort of logic a great deal these days. Someone will soon be out there protesting for the advancement of quartz because of its perceived inequality to diamonds. That's the world today. I enjoyed the read except for that one line that stuck in my throat like a retching cat with a fur ball it can't dislodge.


Posted 3 Months Ago


willweb

3 Months Ago

Hey, it happens. Sorry it bit you that way, you have to watch out for those wildcats.
Such a gentle and tender poem, less meter than usual but, so much warmth. Memories, huh! Your garden must be growing day by day, so extraordinary and unique it is!

Posted 3 Months Ago


willweb

3 Months Ago

Thank you so very much my friend. I am happy you stopped by.
I remember my knees buckling when a certain person kissed me for the first time.
I still feel them doing that...and that was 57 years ago...old knees, same feeling...just thinking about her.
j.

Posted 3 Months Ago


willweb

3 Months Ago

Mine did as well...thank you my friend.
Oh wow, this brought back sweet memories.
I enjoyed this sweet little poem.
-Amy

Posted 3 Months Ago


willweb

3 Months Ago

I appreciate your visit and nice comment. Happy this one brought you some joy.
Amy R

3 Months Ago

All your writings are gr8, so I will always visit.
My pleasure.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 16, 2024
Last Updated on May 16, 2024

Author

willweb
willweb

TX



About
Hi, I am willweb. Maybe you remember me and maybe you don't. I have been writing here on and off for years. I pop in and write and read and comment and make friends and learn new things. I enjoy maki.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..